THR Icing

Melina

Country
United States United States
Has anyone experienced nerve pain 9 weeks post-op? I am getting anxious my sciatic nerve has been injured.

Hi Melina,
On & off, for the first 3 months - maybe more - I thought I had a different an separate problem that related to my lower back and not my hip - or - it could have been related to my hip - I was never sure.

The point is that I had been getting back pain (that feklt like sciatica) which I've felt before. Other than having some stenosis in my back, they never really figured out where the pain (or ache) was coming from. But every pain I've gotten since my hip replacement - I related it to that surgery, or it was my body trying to adapt to my new hip.

Then suddenly the ache would go away, just as quickly as it came. This has occurred so many times in the course of my healing process, that I don't worry about it much. It comes, it goes, and I really don't know why - but mostly feel fine.

I can remember me at 9 weeks post-op too! I remember having the exact same concerns as you do now. My lower back was hurting me for awhile, and I didn't know why. This happened on & off. As always, it went away on its own, and my concern was for nothing so much of the time.

I really think it takes awhile before you entire body completely adjusts to a new hip! That's the way I look at it now. Or try to. If you need peace of mind, ask your Dr. to do an x-ray of your back to see what may be going on there - or an MRI.

Trudi

Hello @Melina - and :welome:

Have you had your hip replaced?
If so, please will you tell us the full date of your hip replacement and which hip it is, so we can make a signature for you? Knowing the exact date will help us to advise you appropriately in the future.
Thank you.:flwrysmile:

Here are our guidelines for recovery:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

I had a THR 12/09/19 right side, posterior.

Also I am new here and not familiar with how this site works. I will only have one recovery thread though

How can I make a reply to those who comment on my thread?

Just drop down the box at the bottom of the page, and post just like you have the last two posts. If someone has posted on your thread they will receive an alert about the post. You can also tag some one by putting an @Melina in front of their name.

Hello, Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us. :)
Navigating the forum can be confusing initially. I'll leave a link below that hopefully helps you get started, please feel free to ask questions and we'll assist you in any way we're able.
Have a great evening and week!

@Melina

Hi @Melina I think your sciatica symptoms could be the normal aches and pains that migrate around our body after a THR.. What does your Dr think?
Usually, with the posterior approach the glute muscles are very grumpy and tight and that irritates the sciatic nerve but doesn't damage it.. it just angers it.
Does ice help with the pain?
I've noticed several members feeling this same way in the first 3 months or recovery, maybe even longer.
I hope it lets up soon.

Thank you so much for your kind reply. My surgeon says it has to do with the swelling and tight muscles (piriformis) which can irritate the sciatic nerve just as you said. Ice helps a lot. it really is assuring to know I am not alone with these symptoms. They are a little bit scary and patience is the key.

@Jaycey Me too. I am seeing a Myotherapist next week. Hopefully she can help with the tight muscles. Thank you for your reply. It is easy getting a bit anxious with these symptoms so knowing I am not alone helps.

I think the Myotherapist will be very helpful!
It absolutely is very easy to go down the path of nervousness and worry.
You will get through this recovery, even with its series of bumps in the road.

Last edited:
Is it normal to have setbacks? Maybe I have been doing to much. I have been using an exercise bicycle, is it too early?

Melina sending healing blessings your way.
thr isn’t for sissies that’s for all the hippies who have made it to the other side. by summer you will have all the pain behind you and ready to move on.

Is it normal to have setbacks?
Totally normal. Recovery doesn't happen in a straight line. Listen to that new hip. It will quickly tell you when you have done too much!

Recovery chart drawn.jpg

When do you think it is time to start with PT after the operation?

Good Morning @Melina Please rest and recover for now. If you are still having discomfort or pain around the piriformis(sciatic symptoms) then rest, ice abundantly and things will smooth out.

I would start by returning to a routine where I rested, iced and walked a bit every hour,, maybe only 50 steps or so and then increase the walking another 50 steps or so until things calm down.

At least this is what helped me when I set myself back at around 3 weeks. Frustrating is a mild term for what I was feeling at that stage of the recovery. I returned to my cane and stayed on that cane for up to my 8th week of healing.

I am almost 8 months now! Hip feels amazing. I get a sore bruised feeling in the surrounding soft tissues but the hip glides and works like a young healthy hip!

I can't wait for a few months to see you posting that very same update. Take care and I forgot to add, yes, the exercise bike is telling you that you started that too early. Oh and your glute muscles are now chiming in, too.

Happy Valentines Day! :roseshwr:

@CricketHip Happy Valentines! Thank you for your reply! Yes, I have been taking it slow but still have a lot of paresthesias and burning sensations in my leg and buttocks. I get anxious about it and I feel a bit in despair right now. The swelling has also increased a little bit. I will follow your advice

@CricketHip Do you consider 9 weeks still early after the surgery? I am a little impatient maybe. And post-op blues?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JoeyRamone
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom