THR Driving Long Distances 4 Weeks After RTHR

HIP212

Country
United States United States
I'd like to hear from people who drove themselves long distances a month after total right hip replacement surgery. I was in pretty good shape before surgery because I am athletic and built up my leg muscles. I had posterior lateral total right hip replacement on Oct 12 and was out the hospital Oct 14. I was off painkillers a week after surgery and don't even take Tylenol now. I've been walking a mile plus for a week now with a cane, live in a home with stairs so constantly do them foot over foot going up and down, just went back to the gym and have been going to out patient physical therapy 3x week since Oct 23. Wondering about driving 2.5 hours, mostly highway, in an automatic crossover vehicle that will involve some traffic and a lot of city streets to get to the highway. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
@HIP212 Welcome to BoneSmart! The first thing you must do before getting behind the wheel is get your surgeon's release to do so. No having buy-in from your surgeon could invalidate your insurance should you have an accident.

Post my RTHR I moved house. At 4 weeks out I drove 6 hours to my new home. I did have my surgeon's approval. I made 2 stops along the way and took instant ice packs just in case (didn't use them). The drive was motorway and rural roads in an automatic. The only side effect was total exhaustion the next day.

If you are not taking any heavy pain meds and can sit for that length of time this shouldn't be a problem.

@HIP212 ,
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us! :welome:
Clear your diving with your surgeon before attempting this drive.
Driving 2.5 hours is doable if you are off all meds (you are), and can quickly slam on your brakes if needed.
Plan on rest stops to get out of the car and walk around a little to keep loose.
Take it easy when you get to your destination, and you should be fine.

Thank you Jaycey and Pumpkin. Unfortunately getting a chance to talk to my Dr. when I'm not in his office is close to impossible. He's giving me a lot of mixed messages about driving and nothing concrete. I even sent him that medical study that shows people can drive two weeks after and there's no difference between those who drove 6 weeks after and never heard back.

@HIP212 When is your post op followup? If it is not before your planned trip call your surgeon's office and leave a message with his secretary or PA.

Ask your PT contact your surgeons office stating that you are safe to drive and why, and send a brief progress report that the surgeon can sign and return clearing you for driving.

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately my surgeon is a sole practitioner and doesn't have a PA. I knew that going in and thought that it was going to be a problem, which it is. Also, the reason I posted here is because I wanted to hear from other people about their experiences driving long distances. By the way I had posterior lateral hip replacement not anterior, will go back and fix that.

You have described how active you are, but how are you with sitting in the same position for long periods? Are you driving regularly yet? Sitting can be really uncomfortable and brain fog can alter your reaction times.

Here's my experience with driving. I have a different situation but you can use it for a point of reference.

I'm on a bit of a slower healing timeline (due to nerve damage) and I had a THR left anterior approach. I didn't start driving until about 3 months and did my first 1.5 hour one-way trip at about 4 months. It was very tiring and it made me stiff, not only in my hip but in my lower back and neck just because I was out of shape for that particular activity (somewhat embarrassing). I'm 56 and was active before my injury.

Here's to hoping your journey goes well @HIP212 . For myself riding in the car took the longest to be comfortable. Actually not as much riding as driving. When I could put the car in cruise control not much issue, but if constant starting, stopping, or just the need to constantly use that gas peddle left me in pain within an hour or two. Taking Ice greatly helped as well as stopping frequently to stretch.

First THR I had to drive to a relatives, about 2.5 hrs each way in my pickup with an automatic. I did a lot of stopping and getting out and walking. It wasn't a pleasant trip but I made it and back the same day. I think I was around 6 weeks at that time.

Thanks again everyone. I did the drive. 2.5 hours each way over 2 days and it was fine. Hip feels fine. Did not make any stops. Right knee hurts a little and that's it. I had a right total knee replacement about 6 years ago and it's hurt me on and off ever since, so it doesn't surprise me that the hip replacement has had adverse effects on the right knee. It's obvious the driving experience is different for each person and also depends on the ability to quickly react on the brake pedal.

Glad to hear everything went well on your trip @HIP212. I found that my hip replacement actually helped my knee replacement as everything settled in, hoping you find the same.

I am sure much of my recovery was more exception to the rule , but I was driving at the 1.5 week mark because I just couldn’t stand to becouped up in the house. I did have anterior approach and was told there was very few things I couldn’t do , so I took that as driving and sitting might be a bit uncomfortable ,but wouldn’t harm the implant. Not sure how much this would apply to posterior approach..

Good to hear you made the drive no worse for wear. A belated Happy One Month Anniversary! Hope you’re enjoying November so far.
Wishing you a wonderful week! :SUNsmile:
@HIP212

:wave:Hi there, I’m hoping all is well.
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Also wishing you a Merry Christmas and wonderful 2021!
@HIP212

:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015