TKR Round Two

I think our soft tissues are still too upset at 8 weeks post op for deep massage, but that’s just me. With some of the PT experiences I had, I’m going to have a hard time letting anyone touch my leg, if I have to do this again. I really think there are times in this recovery that we have to just let our leg “be” so it can rest and heal.

Shin splint pain goes straight down the front of the shin, almost to the ankle, so it doesnt really sound that this is the culprit.. But its far too soon to be fretting, its only one month since your op, try to be patient and be happy with baby steps.

Thank you!! I was so frustrated, I just cried.
I pulled myself up though and rode my bike for 20 min and canceled PT tomorrow. I bet I will be walking again by tomorrow!

Even 20 minutes is a bit much. Try 10 or less, and just once a day right now. You are in very early weeks, in this 52 week (one year on average) recovery. Hang in there, and take it slow. :console2:

I agree with Jockette that 20 minutes is too much. My OS said to not try the bike until 4 weeks and then only a couple of minutes a day for a few weeks, then increase slowly. Doing too much too soon is not good for your knee and could actually cause a setback in your recovery. The slow and easy is the best way to recover.

Starting week 5. Still have pain in my lower leg which makes it hard to walk. I can feel a nerve in the top of my foot now, too.. I have stayed away from PT for 5 days now, and it is a little better.
I am going back tomorrow, and I am going to ask him what the heck happened!! I was walking so good!
On April 5th, I go in to see my surgeon for my 6 week. I was thinking I would walk in to that appointment unassisted, but if this continues, that's not happening.

I had shin pain for quite a while. Make sure you are walking with a toe to heel step. When I concentrated on doing that, the shin pain got better. Even now I can have that shin pain crop back up because I can slip back into a faulty gait.

Thanks, I think we established earlier that it is not shin pain, but rather lateral nerve pain. When she manipulated the area, she said there was a knot and she worked it pretty deep....constantly reminding myself heel/toe when I walk.
I wonder how long this nerve/muscle pain will last and if I should allow anymore manipulation tomorrow?

Possible she upset some soft tissue when she manipulated you. I would decline that manipulation/massage. My PTs never did deep tissue massage.

As we said earlier, you’re doing some things at PT that are not necessary and can negatively affect some of us, which seems to be what happened with you. You might want to take some more time off PT after today, and do some gentle rehab on your own at home. What’s the point of going to PT and getting setbacks?

I am in agreement with you more and more. My husband thinks I need to go to PT, as it was ordered by my surgeon.
I am paying for this pain, but, I am afraid if I don't go, I won't be functioning by summer.
Thank you for your insights and recommendations, I am happy to have found you!

My husband, athlete that he was, felt the same way as yours. However, as he watched setback after setback, after my PT sessions, he did admit I needed more time to recover between sessions.

The first 4 weeks of my recovery I went to out patient PT 3 times a week, starting 2 days after surgery. I found Bonesmart at 4 weeks post op. Weeks 4-8 I went 3 times, period. I knew my husband didn’t totally agree, but I’d had enough of pain! We had many discussions about it. In the end, it was my body and I was the one feeling the pain, and I’d had enough.

This is what one of our members, TortiTabby, experienced:

(Just so you know, ADL means Activities of Daily Living.)

“At my six week appointment this is what my OS wrote in my visit summary: "She reads an online website called Bone Smart which states to not push through pain following knee replacement. If she were to follow this direction, she will have to learn to live with a knee that only reaches to 85 degrees of flexion. I believe this website is very misleading."
It has now been 20 weeks and all I do is ADL and this is what my ROM has done:
3.5 wks: 75
6 wks: 85
7 wks: 90
10.5 wks: 95
14 wks: 100
17 wks: 105
20 weeks (where I am today): 110
I am so thrilled it keeps improving and improving and I know now that I will get to my goal of 120 (or even better, dare I say!) :egypdance:
So, if a OS or PT bullies you into thinking your ROM will not improve over time they are wrong. By the way, I haven't been back to see the OS since that horrible appointment at 6 weeks, but I sure am going back when I reach 120 just to say, "Ha! You were wrong, BoneSmart was right!" :yes:

And,

“Just an update for those who are apprehensive about gaining ROM:
It has now been 26 weeks and all I do is ADL and this is what my ROM has done:
3.5 wks: 75
6 wks: 85
7 wks: 90
10.5 wks: 95
14 wks: 100
17 wks: 105
20 weeks: 110
26 weeks (where I am today): 120!!!
I did it! My goal of 120! No "pushing through pain", no PT after the first 3 visits, and most importantly to me: No MUA! My surgeon who said I would never get beyond 85 ROM without pushing through pain was wrong, wrong, wrong. I'm excited to see if it gets even better. :happydance:

I love this! Great results!
My last, forced, painful ROM was 120. She had control of my leg and kept saying "deep breaths" as she continued to push it further.
Then she held it down on the table to measure.
My husband respects that my body is mine, and I am going to show him this thread!
Thanks again!

I was also told to breathe deep as they slowly continued to push my bend. Doing it slowly does not reduce the pain of a too far push that my knee was not healed enough to do. I will never allow that again! I have deep trust issues with PTs now. And for what? Their particular approach to recovery? I know not all PTs are the same, but mine were not the right ones for me, but I didn’t know it at the time. If I ever do this again, I will do my own rehab at home.

I love this! Great results!
My last, forced, painful ROM was 120. She had control of my leg and kept saying "deep breaths" as she continued to push it further.
That's a lousy way to reach the ROM number and I'm betting you aren't too far off 120 if YOU bend it @MARYCOOL. That's very good ROM 5 weeks, you don't need to cause yourself pain to gain more ROM. You still have internal swelling in that knee even if you don't see any visually. That swelling stops you knee from bending just like a pressurized hose is not flexible. Let that pressure out (swelling) and thing bend easily again.

I went to PT yesterday and had a very good talk about what I will and will not do at therapy. He acknowledged that I did get hurt at PT last week, and we addressed that.
I am 5 weeks out today and starting to feel hopeful! Pain is diminished considerably, no pain meds last night! I still didn't sleep well, but that will come along, too.
Thanks to Bone Smart for helping me use my voice when it comes to my body!

Yay for your standing up for yourself! Through the years the vast majority of us on this site have found that aggressive forcing of the knee causes excessive pain and swelling. That's is setback in recovery. Gentle, normal movements are most helpful in receiving a successful journey to the finish line! Remember that you have all those soft tissues inside your knee that are trying to knit back together. Why force those tissues to try and pull apart with aggressive movements? It makes no sense to me. By the way, your bend is fantastic for a month out!

I am 7 weeks out, and some days my new LTKR is so stiff that I limp!
It is usually after PT, which concludes this week.
I am feeling the
"tight band" around my knee, too! I know it's a process...

I am 7 weeks out, and some days my new LTKR is so stiff that I limp!
It is usually after PT
Well, here's your answer. Your knee is responding with added swelling, making your knee stiff. Ice and elevate it after any extra activity to help to keep that swelling down.

You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as it's best if members in recovery only have one thread. We find it much easier for everyone.
This is because:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier for others to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. We won't miss your new question as, between us, the staff read all new posts each day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?

A helpful hint - Many members have found it useful to bookmark their thread so they don't lose it.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts