• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

DREADING BTKR....

ilovefall

Country
United States United States
Well, here I am back on Bonesmart. It's been a few years! Just some quick background info. I had LTHR in 2013 and RTHR in 2015. Did great with both replacement surgeries/recoveries. I'm looking at getting BTKR surgery in late February 2020. I absolutely dread the idea of it. Not sure how recovery will go. I am told that knee recovery tends to be a little tougher than hip recovery. So, needless to say, I'm having complete "fear of the unknown".

My gel/cortisone shots are only providing me relief for about 6ish weeks. When not getting relief, the pain is sometimes unbearable. Nerve pain in my knees, shins and feet. I've managed to lose 60+ pounds over the last few years and I feel I am in great shape and I am stronger than I've been in about 20 years!

I've searched for BTKR recovery stories, as I am trying to figure out how things will go and when I should anticipate being "back to normal". Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like there is a whole of people getting them done.

Anyone have any advice? Any tips? I'll take anything! :)

Roy Gardiner

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I absolutely dread the idea of it
So did I. I was the Biggest Girls Blouse on BoneSmart. For example, I didn't look at anything on the recovery side for fear of being put off.
I've searched for BTKR recovery stories, as I am trying to figure out how things will go
My story is below in my signature, questions welcome.
I've managed to lose 60+ pounds over the last few years and I feel I am in great shape and I am stronger than I've been in about 20 years!
That will help greatly. You will be fine :thumb:

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@ilovefall Welcome back to BoneSmart! If your surgeon agrees you are a candidate for BTKR - well done on going this route. Once op and one recovery.

Roy has already given you a link to his recovery thread. And if you go to the knee recovery side and look for this title in front of the thread title
Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 17.44.35.png
you can read other recovery stories. Click on that green subtitle and you will get a list of BTKR recovery threads.

Jockette

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Welcome back, but sorry for the reason you’re back. You know we’ll be here for you every step of the way!

Here’s another good bilateral thread to read:

pamsknees

Country
I’m right there with you! Looking at knee replacement in Jan or Feb- I waver back & forth between bilateral & one at a time. The bilateral recovery stories I’ve read on here have given me hope...... I’m waiting to talk to my surgeon to decide which way to go.

lovetocookandsew

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I've not had a bilateral, but if I had needed both knees done, I would have opted to do them both at once. I am not a fan of surgery, hospitals, pain, recovery, etc, so having a bilateral means one surgery, one hospital stay, going through the pain one time, and one recovery. It may be a little more difficult to navigate having them both done at once, but that minor difficulty far outweighs the major issues of two separate surgeries, IMHO. Think about it; when you have several months of recovery behind you, you're mostly done, (although the total recovery time for a TKR is approx. a year, but by three months most people feel much better), whereas if you have two separate surgeries you get it all behind you only to have to start all over again with the next knee.......no thanks.

luvcats

post-grad
Country
A very good friend of mine had hers done bilaterally and she says she'd do it again in a heartbeat. One surgery, one recovery.

I urgently needed them both replaced but my surgeon didn't feel I was a good candidate for both at once, so I had them done serially. It has made for a Very Long recovery. It might have been much easier if I'd been able to do them both at once.

Congrats on the weight loss! 60 lbs is a huge achievement.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
unlucky
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom