Drainage From Stapled Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

HopAlong

graduate
Country
United States United States
My visiting nurse called my OS and told him that I had draining on the bandage that she was concerned about, and then told me to call him. I told the OS on the phone that it was only about a teaspoon of clear yellow fluid on the bandage. He asked me come to his office today to see it.

Now right before I left, the visiting nurse said there is no redness or fever, so it's probably nothing to worry about--------however, she told my OS that there WAS redness! She was telling two different stories.

The visiting nurse then said to me "Guess what? Since you have drainage, your insurance company approved me to visit you 3 times a week!"

I got to the doctor and he looked and said that the incision looked perfect! Nothing wrong. It was painful driving to his office being only 6 days post op, and not taking Percocets so I could drive.
I think all of this was a manipulation by the visiting nurse so she could get my insurance company to approve 8 visits instead of one! What do you think?

Yikes Hop!!! Can't believe you drove se
Soon after your surgery!
I'm just glad ,if you had to go to your OS,
That now you have the peace of mind to
Know things are healing on schedule!
Can't comment on your visiting nurse!
But its always better to be safe than sorry!
I'm more upset that you DROVE!!!!
Now get (back) into your jammies & rest up.
Girl! What a trying day you've had!
I guess the Visiting Nurse just can't get ENOUGH
Of you! :)

Yeah......you should have seen me trying to get into the car.......it was a real event! But like you said "better safe than sorry", and the hubby gets home late (he is a stockbroker on Wall St)
But the way she said "Guess what?" had me suspicious that it was a set-up all the way there, so I was not surprised the incision looked perfect to the doctor.
Hopefully in another week I could drive without pain. I can wait.

Hop, If I knew the nurse lied to the Dr. and caused me to make a painful drive for no reason, I think I would request a different visiting nurse. How do you feel about it? I guess it will be nice to have additional attention in any case....
Gail

Gail,,,,,I think the less Hop complains, the better
All around! As long as she is getting proper
Care,the better! Its not even a question
Of sucking up, I just think she should continue!
She sounds like she's doing !

Whoops! Blackberry has a mind of its own!
.Meant to say.....as long as Hop's doing
Great! :)

First, glad things are okay; better safe than sorry I say.

As far as the shennanigans, such is the state of health insurance in America. I don't condone misrepresenting and manipulating the system, but neither am I surprised.

Hi Mud! How are you? I think after this AIG
Debacle, none of us have any respect for insurance
Period!

Hi Hop, I gasped when I read your email about driving at 6 days. So glad you are ok. Good that you have more VN visits but think I would have a good talking to with the nurse who "manipulated" things to get the services. To my way of thinking she put your safety in jeopardy if she knew you would be driving yourself.

i remember at your stage having some light discharge at incision. Because I was at Morristown Memorial Hosp rehab, they just noted and took care to rebandage. nothing more.

How are you getting around? my advice is to take advantage of all theTLC you can get. I sure did/ Got coffee and paper in bed in morning from hubby long after i needed it. I had a new appreciation of my hubby of almost 34 years.

Don't push too hard. All will be b ack to normal before you know it.

Laurie

Hi Judi, Sure hope you plan to attend our dinner. (Maybe it should be lunch considering the distance) I look forward to meeting you.

Laurie

Back on the thread topic here......

Hop, what it appears that nurse did is inexcusable. You were not cleared to drive. You had to stop taking your pain meds to do so. She did not tell the truth to the doctor or the insurance company. She put you and others (who might have been in cars around you in an emergency situation) at risk. There are just SO MANY things wrong with what you describe!!!

It's certainly up to you what you do, but if it was me....I would first have a serious talk with her about the ethics of what she did and have her explain why she lied knowing you would have no way to get to the doctor than to drive yourself (you DID tell her, didn't you?). If her answers don't sound completely right and logical, sorry to say but I would report her to your surgeon and to the supervisor of the company she works for. You were okay this time, but the next person she plays this game with (assuming she really did lie and manipulate things to get approval for more visits) may not be.

Since your hubby might not be available to take you to the doctor, if you need to go again, how about calling a taxi...or a friend....or a neighbor? Any of those options beat being in pain and risking a drive yourself. Take care of yourself!!!

Jamie,,,,after reading your post, I do agree with you!
My point was not for Hop to make waves
So she wouldn't suffer any repercussions....some
Of these visiting nurse agencies can be a
Little dicey, Having said that, Hop....you really
Should NOT have even been put in the
Position to drive anywhere! There's a reason why
Patients are told NOT to drive,,,,especially if you
Are not even 1 week out yet!
-Thank goodness it wasn't your right hip,,,
Then you really might have done damage!

Back on the thread topic here......

Hop, what it appears that nurse did is inexcusable. You were not cleared to drive. You had to stop taking your pain meds to do so. She did not tell the truth to the doctor or the insurance company. She put you and others (who might have been in cars around you in an emergency situation) at risk. There are just SO MANY things wrong with what you describe!!!

[/QUOTE)

I agree with Jamie wholeheartedly! Hop I re-read your post at least twice to make sure I was understanding it correctly - that the nurse did that deliberately knowing you shouldn't be going anywhere near a car yet! It's beyond belief! I would DEFINITELY be having a polite "chat" with her. You were SO lucky..........I shudder to think what might have happened! :(

Peta

Hop,
I don't like how all that happened. I know the nurses that came here always left a folder for the therapist as well as the nurses to sign at each visit. It should have the details of the company sending her. I would call first thing in the morning.
This last nurse that came after my back surgery actually surprised me saying she did not think a nurse needed to come. I had stroke level high blood pressure (had a stroke and seizures in the hospital) and uncontrolled pain!!!
She needs to get together with your nurse.
Don't drive , stay home an rest
judy

I support the idea of contacting the agency. I believe it is the home care agency's job to supervise and counsel the nurses and PTs. This is why they take a large bite of the hourly fees. The recovering patient should not have to counsel a nurse on professional ethics and patient safety. There are enough competing home care agencies that they should be eager to do right by a patient's well-founded complaint.
Gail

I support the idea of contacting the agency. I believe it is the home care agency's job to supervise and counsel the nurses and PTs. This is why they take a large bite of the hourly fees. The recovering patient should not have to counsel a nurse on professional ethics and patient safety. There are enough competing home care agencies that they should be eager to do right by a patient's well-founded complaint.
Gail

I didn't word my resonse above very well. I didn't mean to suggest that WHS counsel the nurse. But before contacting anyone, I always think it's a good idea to get an explanation from the person in case there has been a misunderstanding of what occurred. That can be done without accusing anyone of anything....just getting facts from them about what was done and why.

If the information provided by the nurse is not what it should be, then I agree with your recommendation to contact the company. I also think it's a good idea to notify the doctor's office because many times the patient does not choose the home care company, the doctor's staff does. They also need to know there has been a problem because, as you say, there are ususally many companies available.

I told the nurse/pt agency today that I want to do minimal nurse visits, and more PT visits because the PT woman does so much for me. So I only should have to see that nurse 2 more times. Today she exercised my leg while me and my Maltese laid on the bed, and she showed me the best way to get in and out of the car, then we went for a walk outside (beautiful day today) and I feel amazing!
We have so much in common to talk about too, because we are both big Fleetwood Mac fans, so its really fun to meet with her.

Good job Hop
I always enjoyed the pt people that came to my home as well. I looked forward to their visits. I looked forward to the nurse the first time as he was young and handsome!!! But a different nurse came each time!
judy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member