Revision THR Double in December

jenTjenT

Country
United States United States
Hello! I just found this forum so here's my deal...

I am 49 years old and had my left hip replaced in 1998 at Lenox HIll Hospital in NYC.
I've had four dislocations, but otherwise it's been fine.
Having been born with bilateral hip dysplasia, now the cartlidge in my right hip is worn out and needs to be replaced. My new surgeon at Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC surprised me with the news that my old hip replacement is worn out too, and should be revised first. The hip vintage hip replacement gives me no pain, but I'm bone on bone on the other side, so naturally I want that one first. My surgeon is Dr. Alejandro Gonzalez Della-Valle, and he suggested I do them both at the same time. I'm game for one surgery and one recovery, so that's the plan, thought the final decision will be made in the OR. If the revision goes well and they feel it won't be too much trauma to my body at one time, they will go ahead with the second side.
Anyone have experience with a double?
My surgery is scheduled for December 20th, it's like an early Christmas Gift to myself!

Jen

Welcome to bonesmart. There are quite a few people here with both replacements being done at same time. One of the moderators will be along soon and get you more information.

@jenTjenT Welcome to BoneSmart! We have many members who have had bilateral THRs. In your case it is a bit different as technically you are having a revision and a single THR. I do hope they can do both on the day. As you say - one surgery date and one recovery.

I'm going to tag my colleague @Mojo333 who had bilateral THRs. She should be along soon to chat.

Welcome. Sounds like you are in good hands. I came within inches of having my surgery at HSS. At the last minute, I decided to keep things simple by staying closer to where I live.

I've read nothing but wonderful things about Dr. Della-Valle.

@jenTjenT Welcome to BoneSmart!! As Jaycey said there are quite a few of us bilaterals around :) Go over to the recovery side, find a green "Bilateral" tag, click on the tag itself and you'll get a list of all the bilateral recovery threads here. Feel free to read through any/all of the threads. The link to mine is in my signature though it is old and has not been updated in a long time. IMO bilateral is the very best way to go when one needs both hip joints replaced!

Last edited:
Hi @jenTjenT :wave: and:welome:
Hope they are able to get you all done.
I was happy also to have one recovery.

Hip prostheses have come a long way in 20 years so hopefully these will be our forever hips.:yes:
Lots of great advice and support here that helped me through my journey.

We'll be rooting for you!:ok:

Welcome. Sounds like you are in good hands. I came within inches of having my surgery at HSS. At the last minute, I decided to keep things simple by staying closer to where I live.

I've read nothing but wonderful things about Dr. Della-Valle.

Thank you! It's good to her about Dr. Della-Valle, he seems like a fantastic guy!
I hope I'm repying correctly, the "Quote this message" is a little confusing, but I'm sure I will get the hang of it in no time! : )

@jenTjenT Welcome to BoneSmart! We have many members who have had bilateral THRs. In your case it is a bit different as technically you are having a revision and a single THR. I do hope they can do both on the day. As you say - one surgery date and one recovery.

I'm going to tag my colleague @Mojo333 who had bilateral THRs. She should be along soon to chat.

Thank you!! : )

@jenTjenT Welcome to BoneSmart!! As Jaycey said there are quite a few of us bilaterals around :) Go over to the recovery side, find a blue "Bilateral" tag, click on the tag itself and you'll get a list of all the bilateral recovery threads here. Feel free to read through any/all of the threads. The link to mine is in my signature though it is old and has not been updated in a long time. IMO bilateral is the very best way to go when one needs both hip joints replaced!

(Am I replying correctly? with the "Quote"? )

Thank you! I'm headed over there tonight and will look for yours, I'm thinking it's a good thing that you have not needed to update in a long time. No news is good news!

@jenTjenT If you look inthe lower right corner, you can click “preview” and it will show you how the quote will appear, to see if you did it well.

@jenTjenT you don't need to quote with every post. Just scoot down to the posting box at the bottom of every page and start typing. Then hit the Post reply button in the lower right corner of the posting box.

Welcome to BoneSmart, thanks for joining us!
Your situation is a little different but you're still having two done at once so I'm guessing the recovery will be the same as most bilaterals unless Lefty's revision is a tad more finicky than Righty's initiation. At any rate I'm sure you'll do very well and we'll be here offering friendship, support and encouragement as you move through the process. I look forward to following your journey.
Have a lovely Tuesday!
@jenTjenT

Good Morning Jen, :wave: I hope the day is starting out well for you.
I noticed you asked a question on BigDogMom's thread on the Recovery side about how mobile most are after two weeks. You mentioned your two kids, ages 12 and 14 and were wondering how much they'd be helping you for the first two weeks until they return to school after Christmas break. A member who was using a cane at two weeks responded by sharing her progress. Please understand that not everyone is able to use a cane at two weeks so don't count on anything and set yourself up for disappointment if you're not able to meet self imposed goals.

At 12 and 14 our kids are pretty self sufficient and can obviously take direction well. This will be a great experience for them to have the ability to care for you in compassion and nurture you through selfless love as you've done for them since birth. Most likely you'll be able to care for yourself during the day after two weeks. Some only have others checking in on them daily right from the beginning. Personally, I don't think that's advisable, but a rare few have no alternative.

I'm including the Activity Progression for THR from our Recovery Guidelines to give you a general idea of what you may, or may not, be doing at that time. It's a rough gauge. Some excel, some lag behind but if you reference it as a guideline it should keep you in that safe zone without stalling your recovery due to set-backs from over activity.

I would pose questions such as this on your thread (here) for two reasons. The first being you won't be derailing another's thread, but most importantly you'll have all your questions / responses in one place for easy access if you need to refresh your memory.

I hope you have a peaceful Wednesday and a good rest of the week!

Thank you so much Layla. Both for the posting info (I admit that I'm a little confused by it) and for the Activity Progression recovery guidelines. I agree that this will be a good experience for my kids, and I've been preparing them well... "Why is this didrt dish in the sink?! I won't be able to bend down to put it in the dishwasher next week!!" We joke a lot but they understand that I will be relying on them for help.
One question about posting - If I have a question, should I start a new "thread"? or keep adding on to my original hello post? I'm a message board newbie. Thank you! ~ Jen

If I have a question, should I start a new "thread"?
Just post all your pre-op questions here. That way you will have them all in one place to refer to.

Then when you have your surgery, start a thread in the recovery area and keep all your updates and question on that thread.

Not long now!

Good morning!
As of yesterday I'm weaning off the Diclofenac I've been taking in preperation for surgery a week from today. I think it will be very eye opening, how much pain I'm actually in without anti-infalmmatory medication. I remember running out a few times, maybe it was back when I was taking Meloxicam, and being in extreme pain. I'm definitely feeling a little anxious, not about the procedure really, just wanting to get it over with. I want to fast forward to next friday! I'm super busy working full time, teaching Pilates part time, kids, and Christmas prep, but still!!

:hi:I hope the week flies by for you @jenTjenT
Eat well, stay well and know we are rooting for you. :) :-) (:

Hello @jenTjenT

I have surgery later this month too and a 14 year old. He was able to help with a lot of things for last surgery. Maybe practice some ahead of time with your tools.

I needed help, first 4 or 5 days with getting my legs up on elevating pillow and especially moving off after elevating and icing. We coached our son how to carefully assist without accidentally breaking my 90 degree rule. He also was great at making me a light snack and refilling water bottle. It might make everyone feel better if they know how to help you. My son also put on socks and shoes, pretty funny at first. Harder than it seemed to him. Lol.

A small cooler next to your bed helps too. I had trouble with pain medication and a small snack with protein helped with nausea. I had a tray right next to me with phone charger and Tylenol. Son was better at answering texts for help than anyone.

Best of luck to you on the 20th!

Hope you are hanging in there and all is still on track for getting this recovery show started. A flower for you...
:flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties