Revision THR Double in December

Thank you Fit4Family! My 14 year old daughter will be a great help I'm sure, my 12 year old son seems to think it's "no big deal" **eyeroll **
As they have seen me limping around and even (god forbid) resting the past few days without meds, they both have been suprisingly sympathetic.
I appreciate your tips about the cooler and protien snack and tray, I'm sure i will use all of those.
I'm so ready for Friday to come!!

Does anyone know the guidelines for nutrition after surgery? Protein specifically. I’ve read a lot about getting enough protein, but how do I know what enough is?

We have some wonderful articles in our Library and I will leave you one to read for now. I hope it helps to answer some of your questions!

Thank you @CricketHip ! I knew there must be some articles in the Library but I was having trouble finding them. It’s easier for me to search from my computer as opposed to my phone (which I’m on today). I appreciate your help! ~Jen

Does anyone know the guidelines for nutrition after surgery? Protein specifically. I’ve read a lot about getting enough protein, but how do I know what enough is?
You body is going to be like a furnace inside burning up good calories healing. I was hungry right after the operation and stayed hungry for some time afterwards. I've never had the problem but many have problems from the pain killers and not being able to use the bathroom. That will be a big factor in eating. I was given Miralax in the hospital and kept up using it for a while at home.
Beside the basics listed I like to get my good bacteria built up after all of the antibiotics so I eat yogurt along with the other recommended foods.

The biggest advice I can offer is eating simple foods you know you digest well.

I have planned root vegetables roasted, roasted protein, soups and fruit when tolerated. I don’t do well with GA so I was not hungry for a good week or more.

Two more days! Will be waiting to see you emerge on the recovery side. Best wishes. @jenTjenT

Eat healthy but listen to your body and what it is craving. At home, I usually do not eat a lot of carbs but had desire for toast with cream cheese so got some carbs and protein and body was happy and easy to eat. I also ate fruit and yogurt is always by go to especially mixed with fruit. Soups if you like soups are usually great and easy to digest plus extra liquid. I actually had a craving for coconut cream pie and my husband got me some. It tasted great. I lost 40# before surgery with just healthy diet but surprisingly even with dessert here and there I have only gained 2# in the 5 weeks. The strangest thing was that salads that I normally love, did not appeal. I did eat a lot of cooked veggies but not salads for about 3 weeks.

At first, you're likely to lose your appetite for a while. Just eat what you can until your appetite returns. All I fancied for about a week was soup and toast - simple and easily digested. Once your appetite returns, then you can concentrate on trying to increase the amount of protein, but don't forget to eat a variety of vegetables and fruit as well.

Make sure you always eat something, such as a cracker, when you take your pain relief medications. Doing that can help to prevent nausea.

Just wanted to wish you all the best tomorrow @jenTjenT

Hoping you are at peace now with upcoming surgery and that today passes quickly. Waiting it hard. You will be in my thoughts.

Best wishes for tomorrow.
Wishing you comfort as you wait and a great recovery!
@jenTjenT

Thank you everyone for the well wishes!
i'm all ready to go, my surgery is scheduled for 3:15pm, so I need to arrive at the hospital at 12:15pm. Seems late for the Friday before Christmas, I was hoping for 5:00am! : )

Good luck. See you on the recovery side.

And don't worry: your morning will fly by!

Best wishes for a speedy passage of time tomorrow morning! See you on the recovery side,, you got this!

my surgery is scheduled for 3:15pm, so I need to arrive at the hospital at 12:15pm. Seems late for the Friday before Christmas, I was hoping for 5:00am! : )
:unsure: oh my stars...too long to wake up and wait!
Mine was scheduled second at 9 am and it rolled on to 11:00, which felt like a day and a half with my nerves.
Will be thinking of you and will be happy to see you on The Healing Side :ok:

Thinking of you this afternoon @jenTjenT Hoping everything went as planned and that you are resting comfortably. Keeping my eye out for you on the other side. Best wishes to you on these early days of recovery. :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom