Bilateral THR Double in December - Done!

Love that sleep emoji! Isn't sleep great once it gets better! I'm finally getting mine: a whopping 6.5 hours last night and there's yet time to get more. Beat those early no sleep insomniac nights. And yes, resting ones 'eyes' has to happen early. I bet I'll be going to bed as such when I resume work!
You called it! 8:30 and i'm asleep :sleep: ...

@LD of Michigan

Today is the day I'm attempting public transit. I'm going to avoid rush hour in both directions, and I plan to take the R train which is the long and slow route to work, so not packed in like sardines on the 4/5 train. I hate the packed trains especially in the winter whe everyone is bundled up and sweating on the overcrowded subway, I'm not ready for that.
I've been taking Uber Pool which is cheaper, but takes an hour each way - work is maybe 7 miles away...
So I'm bringing the crutch and taking my time. I've used it a few times to whack my kids, which will be a valuable skill on the NYC subway.

Cane is also an excellent prop when yelling at clouds.

Anyone have aspirin agony?

I'm on 325mg twice a day and started having heartburn/GI issuse about 2 weeks ago. Called the doctor after a week, (I shoul dhave called sooner) she said they were definitely causing the problem with the aspirin and prescribed RX Pepcid 2x a day. That seemed to help for a few days, until Monday afternoon I started having horrible cramps and stomach agita. I've got tums, chewable alka-seltzer, rx Pepcid, but no relief as of Wednesday morning. I'm calling the doctor today, my guess is it's still the aspirin. It always takes me a while to figure out if what I have is nothing that will pass, or something more. This seems to be something more. It's painful all the time and making sleeping more difficult.

Anyone have experience with this or advice?

Indeed, timing when dealing with public transpo makes a difference! I have used Uber and Lyft (comparing their prices side by side, minute to minute as they fluctuate). I am digging your approach. Humor must be part of it! As I said before, a cane invokes manners and great for waving away nonsense - and as a prop!
I've been taking Uber Pool which is cheaper, but takes an hour each way - work is maybe 7 miles away... So I'm bringing the crutch and taking my time. I've used it a few times to whack my kids, which will be a valuable skill on the NYC subway...

Last edited:
Good Morning @jenTjenT

Yes to the tunnel to a grocery store!! Great idea.

Yes to terrible acid reflux from aspirin, I switched to baby aspirin twice a day and thankfully can stop on Friday. It’s a NSAD and can cause many stomach issues. You seem very mobile, I’d ask if you can stop. My OS said 4 weeks if pretty mobile.

Love the image of you shaking your cane at the clouds. It is so true that a cane means nothing to bystanders. A crutch is more likely to get cautious gestures. Honestly here, may need to carry one for awhile just as a non verbal caution sign. It’s just a part of living in a metropolitan area. Eye opening to be sure. Good luck today!

A belated Happy One Month Anniversary to you!
I'm sorry you're struggling with the GI issues. Hopefully you were able to speak with your surgeon today, or a member of his care team and get a nod to stop the NSAIDS. Wishing you speedy relief and a nice end to the week!
@jenTjenT

Well done on your double hip 'job'.. you are doing great, it's the last leg of the relay for you.. I had mine 'done' two and a half years ago.. nothing short of a miracle.. I was asked recently 'how are the hips' and it took me a minute to comprehend.. I'd actually forgotten I used to have painful hips!! Any pain and discomfort you are experiencing now will soon be a distant memory for you too.. God bless. X

As far as the aspirin all I can tell you is what I did. I was told 1 aspirin a day with Famatodine (Pepcid) to protect my stomach.

I was on the low dose aspirin 1 pill 2x/day plus recommended to get the enteric coated and to start Pepcid AC with it if they seemed to bother me.

It's really interesting how different hospitals and surgeons handle this. I was on 325 mg slow release aspirin this time around, but NSAIDS don't bother me, I was taking 800 mg of ibuprofen 3 times a day for 20 years. When I had my ankle replacement in 2011 I had to give myself a daily injection for 20 days which was really tough because I HATE needles. No worries about a heroin habit for me! :rotfl:

Hey @jenTjenT
It's a special day....Happy Two Month Anniversary!
We'd love to hear how you're doing two months out. Consider leaving an update next time you drop by.
Wishing you all the best as you continue healing. :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics