BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

Double Hips... Coming Soon

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by JennyLynne, Mar 15, 2019.

1. JennyLynne

JennyLynne post-grad

United States United States
    Hi everyone... I am a veteran of the knee boards. I had TKR on my left knee, almost 2 yr ago. I right hip was already giving me issues then, but my left hip came roaring out of nowhere after the surgery. My left leg was severely knock-kneed, and I suspect that straightening it out made the hip angry.

It has been very disappointing to go through a TKR only to be sidelined so soon again. I am 45 yrs old and I have a 7 yr old son. He helps me with my shoes in the morning and it makes me want to cry. He doesn't know that he should have a mom who can run and jump and keep up with him, let alone get her own socks on. It breaks my heart, so I want to get this done and behind me ASAP!

Currently scheduled for double hip replacement on April 15 with same surgeon as TKR (he only does knees a hips). I have met with the PA but don't see the surgeon until April 5. Ultimately, he will decide if I can do double or not - PA thinks it is likely. I am young-ish and in ok health - no meds or anything - though have put on a lot of weight in the last few years with the joint issues.

My TKR recovery was great... got a great bend early on and went back to work quickly. I feel confident that more surgery, as soon as possible, is the way to go. But of course... I am nervous about the unknown. Scary to think of both legs being "down" for a while - but know once is better than twice!

Always grateful for this space - the information and the support. Look forward to getting to know the "hip"-sters this time around!

• Like Like x 3
  2. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @JennyLynne Welcome to the hip side of BoneSmart! Bilateral is the way to go. I didn't have it but would certainly have gone that route if both hips were complaining. One surgery, one recovery. I'll tag my colleague @Mojo333 to come and chat with you here. She had BTHR. I look forward to following your journey.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JennyLynne

JennyLynne post-grad

Thanks @Jaycey ... appreciate the support!

• Like Like x 1
  4. SarahBee

SarahBee graduate

Best wishes for your future recovery!

Let your son help without worrying. My grandson has been helping me for a long time and I finally realized it gave him comfort to be able to do something. Children are such wonderful beings. :)

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. JennyLynne

JennyLynne post-grad

Good perspective @SarahBee - he does like to help me. I am definitely projecting, huh?!

• Like Like x 2
  6. SarahBee

SarahBee graduate

We always do, @JennyLynne It is human nature, I guess

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:wave:and :welome:
    My possibly new "both at once" hippy pal!
    Sorry you are having to contemplate BTHR but if you want to get your life back...you've come to the right place!:ok:
    Please feel free to ask anything you are curious about...and know that in my case...i couldn't be happier!:egypdance:

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  8. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

As a parent, myself, I understand this. Your tears are because you feel he's getting shortchanged by you, but soon enough you'll have the ability to begin turning that around. The wonderful memories you'll create together will overshadow him remembering tying your shoes. And you know what else...it's teaching him compassion, empathy, how to comfort and help others. Valuable life lessons, so it's all good! He's also showing love, most important of all.

Wishing you comfort as you move toward April 15th. I will look forward to following your journey and offering support and encouragement along the way. I hope you have a lovely weekend! :)
    @JennyLynne

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. JennyLynne

JennyLynne post-grad

@Mojo333 I will read through your history and take lots of notes! Thanks for the support!

@Layla That made me tear up... thank you for the kind words!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Mojo333

Oh...don't take notes on my initial worries and whining. :umm:Lots of figuring it out on the fly with loads of help from my Bonesmart pals.
    I'm guessing you will do great and you'll be a much "funner" mommy without hip pain.
    Plus, you will be able to do this..:chuckmarch:.after a bit of recovery time, of course.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. JennyLynne

JennyLynne post-grad

@Mojo333 Im sure my son will be thrilled to see me chicken-dance down the school hallway! :bignono:
    I started reading your thread- and honestly, it started to scare me. And then things start to turn decidedly more optimistic. I remember that so well from my TKR... I felt helpless and scared and absolutely positive I had made a terrible mistake... and then one day, I started feeling better. And the next, even better... and so on. Hard to remember in the moment, tho!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Mojo333

I think you will find this easier than TKR recovery...you've got this!!

Well worth it...never regretted it and I'm happy and healthy!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Layla

Hi Jenny,
    Aww, I'm sorry. Didn't mean to make you tear up :console2:

We'll be here to help you through in any way we're able.
    We'll be your biggest cheerleaders, supporters, encouragers.
    I'll bet you do great!
    I hope you have a nice rest of the week! :SUNsmile:
    @JennyLynne

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. JennyLynne

JennyLynne post-grad

Trying to squeeze in all the fun this month, and it's a reminder of how challenging even the good days can be. Saw Hamilton last night - something I have been dreaming of for years - and sitting for 3 hours was awful. Thankfully the show was outstanding and mostly distracted me. But I was constantly shifting my weight.

Next up... Justin Timberlake on Monday. That will be a real challenge ... all of those stairs in the stadium... but can't let these opportunities pass me by!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Mojo333

So jealous for Hamilton...and for the upcoming concert.
    I remember about the constant shifting :oyvey:
    Oh well...I remember I went for a trip to the coast boat riding and fishing the weekend before my surgery. I said I was going to wear those old hips out and they sure better be hurting me when I went to have them replaced:giggle:

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    I don't want to creep you out, I am not hiding under your bed but I woke up in the night thinking of you.

I'm not sure if you are a single mom or not (think you may have said so?)nbut I was for almost 4 years with my first. The bond is indescribable to anyone that hasn't lived it.

Anyway, I woke thinking what a fabulous gift you are giving your young son with this surgery. He might not remember much of these rough times right now but he will sure cherish all the great times in your future! It led me to think that I want to dedicate this new hip to my kids and grandchildren.

I had a meniscus repair when my son was only 2 and he blew my mind with how much he helped me. I am sure your little man will love being helpful and feeling important. Plan a big helper reward for summer's end, let him sleep in your bed if he seems worried about you and above all be honest (without being graphic) with him. Apparently there is a kids video on THR but I haven't seen it.
    :flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. JennyLynne

JennyLynne post-grad

Thank you @Carriemay60 I really appreciate your kind words. I am married and my husband saw me through my PKR and TKR, so he knows what he is in for. Apparently I am not always the sweetest in the early days of recovery :shrug:

I know my son will help - it will make him feel good, too. And he is quite a snuggler so I expect to have lots of company for movies and such!

Love the idea of a "reward" at the end - thanks!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. JennyLynne

JennyLynne post-grad

Two weeks to go... getting anxious in both good and bad ways.
    My surgeon started using a pre-op clinic at the hospital for the labs, etc. It was great - I met with a nurse, a PA and a physical therapist all in one appointment. Got lots of info and even a "goodie bag" with Hibicleanse and some other items. Very convenient to make one appointment!

Spent the weekend at an indoor water park, trying to give me son a mini spring break. Sat most of the time... looking forward to being more "in it" in the future! Didn't love the 3.5 drive each way but I know that won't be an issue for too much longer.

Accumulating the things I need for the house - new elevated toilet seat, reachers, etc - remembering all the little things I used for my TKR... now if only I could find where I put that stuff!!

• Like Like x 3
  19. Layla

Happy Monday, Jenny
    Staying busy sure helps with that pre-op anxiety, as I'm sure you remember from your other surgeries.
    Your 7 yr old son should make that easy enough. It's nice to hear you managed a mini Soring break with him. I'll bet he loved it! Wrangle up that stuff...the big day is coming. Your future looks bright! :SUNsmile:
    Hugs
    @JennyLynne

• Like Like x 2
  20. Chappyd

Chappyd member

Hi JennyLynne, I have the same date reserved. It's my first big surgery, and I'm bounce back & forth between I'm so ready to get this done and being very apprehensive about it. I'll send thoughts and prayers yours & wayner1's way as I am being wheeled in, and will join you both on the other side as soon as I am able!

• Like Like x 3