THR Double hippy happy<

SarahUK

senior
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi all, long time lurker and first time poster.

Yes, the dates in my signature are correct, I had 3 surgeries in 4 days due to 2 dislocations and failed MUA. On the last surgery he decided to place a restraining ring. Both dislocations felt like I'd been punched in the muscle with a sledgehammer.

I've had no problems with healing, scar looks great. Walking with one crutch in the house and 2 outside for safety.
Still taking pain meds, 15/500 Co-Codamol 3x daily.
Had no PT, got given a booklet at hospital, tried a few and said nope, it hurts. All I've done PT wise is walk and minimal housework (wiping worktops, washing dishes etc).

Was wondering if any of you had any tightness of the achilles tendon after surgery?. Mine is worst in a morning but eases with a few gentle ankle flexes. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Hi @SarahUK glad you came out of lurk-dom! What an awful mess those days must have been, but it sounds like you are coming along very well now. We are nearly hip-sisters, if you count your original surgery date! I too have done no PT except the anti-DVT ones.

I always have tight achilles tendons, all the time. I have to keep after it. My post-op surprises include muscle spasms in various parts of the legs, doesn't matter which leg got the new hip. I think it's all due to the trauma, and you have certainly had way more trauma in that hip than most of us!

Very curious, what's a "restraining ring"? Internal or external?

I hope your recovery continues smooth sailing, no more of this random dislocating, young lady! :snork: I know it wasn't anything you did, but it certainly must make you a tad nervous-- how do you cope with that?

@zauberflöte Both dislocations happened when staff at the hospital tried to move me.

Restraining/locking ring - internally, stops the ball and socket coming apart, at least that's what I was told by my consultant.
Hip feels stable, walking on it ok, if I ditch a crutch then I limp, so back on just the one crutch until I dont limp.

I'm lucky that I dont remember much about those 4 days apart from the pain of dislocation.
I've been told that I'm a strong willed person and I don't let much get to me but that shook me up a bit, I need to have the other side done at some point but I think I'm going to wait at least 2 years before I do. I want this hip to be as strong as possible before I subject myself to another surgery.

P.S for all you fur-baby lovers, my avatar is my 17yr old tabby :)

Hi @SarahUK, I am sorry to hear what you have been through. I had several dislocations (after 7 days) too but only two surgeries!! I have terrible muscle tightness in the morning, but it's my calves and quads. Hurts like heck on bed but if I get up and stretch, it subsides. My socket is surfaced with a special material to keep my hip in, although it did slip slightly once after the second surgery. Hope the recovery continues onwards and upwards!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

@Hiphiphray my calves and quads arent giving me any bother, just that achilles on the right. I've had no slippage or anything untoward happen once the ring was placed, nice stable hip.
Doesnt help matters that I have bi-lateral hip dysplasia and arthritis in both hips, well, one now. I also have 'abnormal' hips, the angle is all wrong for them. After the swelling went down, I looked in the mirror and I actually have, for the first time ever, a 'normal' side and not flat like it used to be.
Hopefully time and rest will improve the tightness in the achilles tendon.

@SarahUK, I am (was) also built all wrong for this surgery, with narrow hips and a very shallow socket. The angle, like yours, was just not going to hold! I know exactly what you mean; I too have a normal hip shape after the surgeon re-placed the socket. Hoping you some relief for your Achilles.

oh man you two, I learn something new every day on here, and your hips are certainly a new thing to me!

@SarahUK I certainly can understand your trepidation about the next one! Two years should allow this current one to set up all solid permanently, and allow you to get up your nerve for the next! I'm glad this one feels solid now-- that makes me feel better about the situation.

@Hiphiphray Two of you in the same boat-- I'm happy that you are on here at the same time! Funny, lots of us would kill for "flat hips", but actually it's not a good idea to have them,it sounds like.

@Hiphiphray My only concern now is that I've gone up a dress size, all my life I've been a slim UK8 (and thats after 4 children as well). Yes, it's much more stable than the natural one that would give way when I least expected it, quite a few falls as a result. Two years is a long time and I can only hope that my left hip holds out that long.

@zauberflöte Flat hips are definitely not a good idea to have as some of us have found out. In time I shall grow to like my new shape but at the moment I look lop-sided until the other one is done. I'm not nervous about getting the other one done, I just don't want to have to go through 3 surgeries again.

@SarahUK and @zauberflöte I have very similar thoughts. My underwear size is even up! I know my right hip will also go with time; all the signs (arthritis, pain) are there. I'll try to stay with the same surgeon, if possible. Hopefully we can all, from what we have leatned, avoid dislocations and setbacks, longer scars, anxiety about recurrence, and longer recoveries the next time around!

LOL @SarahUK surely your new shape can be tailored for? Dressmaker-ed for? That slender after 4 kids is marvelous!

I forgot to mention your gorgeous and venerable kitty! Is he black-and-tan, as the picture suggests? I love that combo, and don't see it often.

@zauberflöte the cat is female and a black/brown mix, I rescued her as a 6month old kitten. It could be but skirts are my go-to item at the moment, easy to get on and off.

@Hiphiphray I'm the same, all signs there in left hip, it will go eventually but I'm hoping it'll last 2 years.

Now to let my old girl out for the last time tonight. :)

Hi @SarahUK and welcome to BoneSmart. What a tale, but glad to hear you seem to be on the mend.
I'm the opposite; instead of shallow hips, I have really deep sockets. Or so I have been told... Getting #1 fixed in November. :happydance:
As you can see, we/I have two furkids. Sarge (tuxie) and Tom (as in Tom & Jerry). :loveshwr: Both rescues as well.
Continued good recovery.

@SarahUK great minds think alike! I lived in a jumper (American style, sleeveless over-the-head dress to be worn with something underneath on top) for a few weeks-- nothing to worry about when the urgent call of nature presents itself, and nothing to fall to the floor that needs grabbing back up! And nothing touching the incision site.

@Susan209 Awww they are gorgeous, I've lost count of how many cats/kittens I've rescued, rehabilitated and rehomed. I feel my cats pain as she is arthritic in her hind quarters. Good luck for November :)

@zauberflöte I dont often wear skirts as I much prefer my jeans. I agree, the last thing I want/need is clothing falling to the floor and me realising that I've left my grabber in the other room.... I cant wait to get my jeans back on, I might feel a bit more like 'me' then :D

@SarahUK yes, getting back into regular clothes is a definite picker-upper! I was on here before with a woman who used yoga pants for recovery, and liked them so well that she declared them her new work outfit-- black pants, nice jacket, and her white coat on top (doctor) equaled perfect comfort!

One of my cats is morbidly obese because the cat lady across the street feeds her 6+ healthy cats outdoors, and my Tango has had a food addiction since he was a youngster. Arrgghh! :gaah: He got pretty darn arthritic in all four big joints, it was clear to see and killed me to watch him limp and struggle up the stairs-- I knew exactly how he felt. The vet allowed meloxicam, and he's taking a small dose every other day now, and has improved his activity level remarkably, although not enough to lose weight, phooey!

@zauberflöte I agree, I dress for comfort, not style. I don't remember any of the cats I've had being obese, thin yes but nursed back to health and rehomed. Mine can manage stairs slowly but she prefers a warm blanket on the couch or on my knee.

I'm now hobbling on both legs, I twisted my left ankle yesterday so both feet up and I had a lazy day. On the good news, my achilles doesn't seem as tight today, still not fully relaxed but not as bad as it has been, so improvement there at last :)

Gosh, you have been through a lot with that hip @SarahUK !
I just don't want to have to go through 3 surgeries again
Just remember, every THR is different - even on the same person. You won't necessarily have the same issues with hip #2.
if I ditch a crutch then I limp
Do keep using your crutch until you are feeling totally confident and don't limp without it. You have been through several major surgeries. Muscles and soft tissues need to settle from all the trauma.

@Jaycey Too much with that hip, at least now I'm pain free on that side. No more bone on bone grinding pain. Yes, I'm hoping that when the time comes for #2 I won't have the same problems and that lessons have been learned from #1.
I have no intention of ditching the crutch just yet, I had a limp before surgery and I leaned to the left so I'm having to learn how not to lean or limp. Not easy but I'm getting there slowly.
The left is now bothersome but if I can get another 2 years out of it before having it done, I've given the right hip time to heal, settle and get stronger.

@Susan209 hurray achilles!!!!!

My cat has to do stairs, not only to get to the litterboxes, but to even get into the house from outside! He hasn't had to deal with stairs since he was 3, and that's 10 years ago.

@zauberflöte my girl is 17 and even though it's painful for her she still goes upstairs to the warmest bed.....

I've done nothing but rest today, left hip and ankle protesting loudly, right hip happy, achilles getting better slowly.
Left all housework and cooking to my lads :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts