BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

Double Hippie, Coming Up!!!

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by ladylorn, Jun 7, 2018.

1. ladylorn

ladylorn junior member

United States United States
    It's time to get my right hip handled - I had a LHR back in March as a birthday present to myself and it was AMAZING how much better I felt immediately after the surgery. I'm still dealing with recovery, but want (and need) to get this right hip done so that I can really start living life fully again (one of my coworkers, upon my return to the office after the first replacement, said that I looked 10-15 years younger; the pain, stress, and energy drain had worn me down more than I'd allowed myself to think about!).

So I'm gearing up for surgery on June 22nd; I've done my pre-admittance testing, and the doc says the first hip is looking great. They also warned me that each hip's progress will be different, and not to be upset if the second hip takes longer to get to the place where the right hip is after three months. That made me nervous; but not enough to avoid the surgery - seeing the x-ray of my hip, which looks as though the leg is literally attached to it, is enough to make me say, "Let's Go!" :yahoo:

• Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  2. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Yay, @ladylorn
    New double hippy will be in the house.
    And then you will be good to go.
    So glad you had such a good recovery and can't wait to cheer you on.
    :tada:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @ladylorn
    You mentioned you were nervous when your doctor informed you that the recovery for each hip may be different. Reminding you not to be upset if the second hip takes longer, to get to the place where the right hip is at three months.

What if it's all easier this time? Less pain, quicker mobility.....better progress? There's just as good of a chance you'll have this outcome. Prayers it becomes your reality. :prayer:

Hope you're weekend is peaceful!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. ladylorn

ladylorn junior member

Thanks, @Layla; that had been my mindset (up 'til my doc spoke :rotfl:) - that getting the second leg done would be the icing on the cake and everything would flow with ease. I let his words get to me for a moment, but not any longer - less pain, quicker mobility, better progress is going to be my mantra!:egypdance:

• Like Like x 4
  5. sequin98

sequin98 graduate

Canada Canada
    Congrats on your decision, and best of luck!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Layla

Final countdown LL.
    Ten days to go. Wonder if you'll look even 10-15 yrs younger again? (than you do now)
    THR = the new facelift :rotfl:
    You're beautiful LL, glowing perfect complexion!
    Wishing you comfort as you await the 22nd.
    @ladylorn

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    My second recovery was MUCH easier than the first! But your doc is right - literally every THR recovery is different, even on the same person. You are going to be so delighted at getting this done!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. ladylorn

ladylorn junior member

Thanks so much, @Layla!! Getting SOOOO excited to get'er done. I decided to take the day before the surgery off from work (the last time, I told them I'd work a half-day and wound up not leaving the office 'til almost 5pm - after arriving at 7.45am!!!); that way I have time to do my "at home" stuff and just rest (instead of looking forward to the hospital stay just to get a reprieve :sleeep:).

That picture is a selfie I took at the beach a while back (before the surgery, actually) - my go-to "healing facility" (with the perfect morning lighting falling just right... that day. :heehee:). I was just telling my sister that I ran into about five different people in my apartment complex yesterday, and they all insisted that I'd lost weight and was (despite all the greys that are artfully hidden by that headwrap) looking "SO much younger!!!" (really, people? Was I that bad??? :rofsign:).

I know that my posture is returning to some semblance of my old "normal" (I regained the inch, inch-and-a-half I'd been telling people I felt I'd lost); and I really believe that getting that first hip done lifted a major emotional/spiritual weight off me, so I look forward to seeing what kind of mojo will happen with this second one - early-twenties face (and body), here I come!!!!

Hey. A girl can dream, can't she? :rotfl:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. ladylorn

ladylorn junior member

Looking forward to it, @Jaycey !!!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Mojo333

We will be rooting for you...ten days and counting.:tada:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  11. Layla

Only 9 more sleeps for you and BeBe, LL.
    Hope you're getting your recovery nest ready.
    You'll be a double hippie and all done with this biz. You're lucky.
    I'll probably need my other done one day. While I'm in no hurry,
    I kind of envy all of you who have it behind you. Crazy, huh?!
    Hope your day is good!
    @ladylorn

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. ladylorn

ladylorn junior member

@ Layla, YES. That's the part that I'm loving - "all done with this biz" (well, that and "wow, my operated leg isn't making my weep with the pain anymore, what a concept!!!"). So very thankful. Here's hoping that you don't need the other one done too soon, although I understand the envy (I was QUITE envious of Hippies who detailed their great experiences, even while I was still accepting the doctor's "recommendation" - aka, insistence - that that was the only option for me).

On another note, I just found out that my "person" won't be coming with me to the surgery as she did for the last one - she got a gig (she's a performer), so I don't begrudge her that; plus, she's told me that she'll be there when I come out, so I'm fine with it. But my inner little kid has reared up - nerves about going in alone, although I know a number of Hippies have done the same. I'm sure I'll work thru my nerves before next week, but as I just found it out (she just got the job yesterday), I'm having to remind myself that this will be easy-peasy, whether I have someone with me at the starting gate or not - and that it's how I get to the finish line that counts. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Layla

Aww, LL, I'm sorry. We'll be with you in spirit. We'll send you off with well wishes and will be waiting to cheer you on once you're ready to post on the healing side. While it's nice to have someone there, you're kind of in your own little world with your thoughts anyway. I think the nurses are so good at relieving anxiety and I'll bet they show you some extra love noticing you're by yourself. I recall time moved really quickly as you're so busy getting prepped, answering questions etc. Prayers for your comfort and peace of mind as you await the 22nd.
    You'll do great. Hugs :console2:
    @ladylorn

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. ladylorn

ladylorn junior member

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Mojo333

I've been so wanting to go to Jamaica...:beg:
    I manage a food bank, so- independently wealthy, I'm not.
    And I rarely play the lottery but I shall buy a ticket or two and if I win I will come sit with you. Then, I will sit out on the beach and feel bad for you:heehee:

In either case, as Layla said, you won't be alone for long. We will be rooting for you, patting your virtual head afterwards, and cheering you on as you do this ONE LAST TIME.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  16. ladylorn

ladylorn junior member

Oh, @Mojo333, don't feel bad - I live in Jamaica, QUEENS (in NYC).

I didn't even think about the other Jamaica when I put my profile together - guess I'd better change that, huh? :rotfl:

I would love to win the lottery and change my career to beach-sitter, however. GOALS! :loll:

• Funny Funny x 5
  17. Mojo333

Oh my stars:rofsign:
    And I had you so built up in my mind as you are beautifully exotic looking...that you were strolling to steel drums in the background and we were going to eat fabulous spicy food and drink fabulous coconut infused drinks.
    Oh well, I'm still going to think that...Even if you are from NY:roseshwr:

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. ladylorn

ladylorn junior member

@Mojo333 , listen; you're not that far off. I stroll to steel drums, cellos, harpsichords, guitars.... it's just that no one else can hear 'em (the music in my mind gene is strong:dancy:); living in NYC makes that a necessity for maintaining calm!! :rofsign:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Jesus fan

Jesus fan junior member

@ladylorn you dont have long to wait! Praying every thing goes well for you. Be sure to keep us posted after ur surgery. . When ur up to it.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  20. anny

anny graduate

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi @ladylorn ......sorry your 'person' is unable to be with you at the hospital....but it'll be very crowded with all the Bonesmarties who will be there in spirit :friends: Wishing you lots of luck, you'll have a shorter gap between yours than I will, I decided I wanted a bit more breathing space. I'll be following your progress and picking up tips for when it's my turn :wink:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1