TKR doodlebug 60 tkr

doodlebug60

Country
United States United States
Hello everyone; I am 13 days post tkr. I have my 2nd follow up with my surgeon tomorrow to have my Staples removed. I am doing well. I have 92 degree from on my cpm. I have not had a PT and am doing just fine. I use my cpm 6hrs a day; and ice up after each session. Have 0 on my extension. I am walking without assistance. Just taking it slow and not trying to do to much. Dr says I am doing all the right things. Love all the great information I get from the nurses and moderators. Will update after my appointment tomorrow.

Hello @doodlebug60 - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your knee replacement and which knee it is, so we can make a signature for you? Knowing the exact date will help us to advise you appropriately in the future.
Thank you.:flwrysmile:

Here are the recovery guidelines we give to everyone with a new knee:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Hi everyone; my left knee total replacement was done on February 13. I went to my 2nd week appointment with my surgeon today. He removed my Staples. Said everything looks real good. Put sterile strips on incision. I am getting around well without assistance. Asked Dr. if I could go into sauna? He said no. Wants me to wait 6weeks because of the bacteria factor in a sauna. Said no jacuzzi either for 6wks. also. Incision is healing up good. Told me to keep doing my cpm like I've been doing. Don't try to over do it. Let the bend come naturally. I am at 92deg. flex and 0 extension. I am driving ok using my right leg for both gas and brake. Changing ice every 2-3 hrs. Elevation of left leg when I sleep. Can't sleep in the bed. Have to sleep in the recliner . No matter how I lie in bed; it shoots pain through my knee cap. That's about all for now. Have appointment with doctor in 6 weeks. Improving every day. Thanks for all your help

I like your surgeon! He is one of the newer thinking ones.

I like your surgeon! He is one of the newer thinking ones.
yeah I really like him also. today starts my first day of week 3. got out today and drove around paying bills. had to get in and out of the car a lot. walked a good amount. trying to walk correctly; it's hard when you've limped for so long. i had to climb a few steps. tried to do it one over the other: instead of dragging my bad leg up. hurt a little; but going down hurts worse. didn't get to ice down for about 6hrs. Boy i sure could tell it. back home now and all i want to do is work on my cpm with ice on. love reading all the great updates. getting better every day. hang in there guys and gals. bye for now. Frank Powers

The foot over foot down is very difficult, I think I jumped the gun at 4 weeks, and had a setback...started again this week with a 4” platform, still get a zinger on knee cap, so will slow that down...i started driving this week, which was week 5 post Op, small issue getting the right leg out, as the SUV I have is higher then my car... today, I just walked a bit and ADL’s , but no exercises the pT assigned ...I will say my dog ate my homework when she asks ...time is our friend...

Well done you seem to be doing brilliantly, driving at 2 weeks is impressive- just make sure you don't overdo things, ice plenty and get lots of rest.
Stairs will eventually become easier.

hey everyone; 3.5 weeks ltkr post-op. doing good I think. doing cpm 2-3 times a day. cpm is at 100 degree. getting better at heel slides. figured out the best way is to ice up and take pain pill 1 hour before rehab. walking around good without assistance. use ice constantly. rest and elevation when not working. went to the gym the other day and was able to do 20 minutes on elliptical machine. not all at once. 10min. x 2. can't do bicycle yet to painful. that's okay; I like elliptical better anyway. incision is healing up good. all scabs gone. still have a few dissolvable stitches. I'm not going to remove them; I'll let them come out on their own. all in all I'm doing well with recovery. thanks bonesmart for all the great information and guidance. I'm not using a PT and I'm doing fine. like you all said; just take it easy and let it come naturally. don't push yourself to hard. I'll update again in a few days. Frank Powers

hey everyone; today is 27 days post ltkr. doing good. mediquip came by yesterday and picked up my cpm machine. I miss it a little. I'm doing heel slides on bed like I did on cpm, and sitting on chair. went to gym and tried the elliptical again; couldn't do it long but not because of my tkr; my right knee gives out now because of the arthritis in it. I got on treadmill and walked at a slow speed for .5 miles. I walked slow so I could concentrate on walking correctly. you know; heel to toe and push off. sleeping better now; still waking up sometimes at night and need a pain pill; few and far between. doing daily activities as knee will permit. trying to do as bonesmart says and let knee rehab at it's pace. have not used PT at all since I left hospital. to everyone; just listen to moderators and take their advice and guidance and everything will work out great. thanks bonesmart!!! will update again soon

hey everyone; just an update; I am 8.5 weeks ltkr. have got good ROM at 115 and good straightness. I can walk good with the exception of my right knee which still hurts from OA. I hope to have my right knee done asap. I tried to ride my bike around the yard, but could not get my right knee to rotate pedal at top of stroke. to painful!! at least it wasn't the left one that I had surgery on. That's a good thing. I have a little infection due to incision opening. Dr. put me on 3wks. antibiotics. hope it doesn't get any worse. it doesn't hurt, just a little red on top of knee. I guess once the YMCA opens back up, I'll hit the stationary bike and try to ride it. well everyone have a blessed day and a quick recovery.

@doodlebug60 Your ROM is great! Well done! Don't push the bike riding too much. You are still very early out in this recovery.

Hope that infection clears quickly!

@doodlebug60, your 115 bend is really good for only 2 months out! What a shame your old knee is hurting so badly and holding you back from the things you want to do. Unfortunately, arthritis continues to get worse while healing from your surgery will continue to improve. Hopefully, once this virus quarantine is lifted you can get that knee replaced, too.

@doodlebug60 Your ROM is great! Well done! Don't push the bike riding too much. You are still very early out in this recovery.

Hope that infection clears quickly!
thanks everyone; the guidelines bonesmart give were the best advice I could have ever gotten. like you all have said; you get the swelling down and the ROM and straightness will come. I have learned that adl"s and walking are the best rehab for me. I think with everything I've learned my other knee should be a breeze. I can't wait to get it done. thanks again everyone

Jaycey; infection is better now. went to OS and he cleaned out the hole in my incision where it seperated and bacteria got in. every day now I change bandaid and spray peroxide over the area then cover it up. redness has gone and hole is healing up. now the area is not painful to the touch like it was. OS wrote me 3 weeks antibiotics which I'm taking religiously. I hope I don't get any more infections. hope everyone has a great recovery.

@doodlebug60 Sounds very positive! Well done on getting that infection under control quickly!

hey everyone;
just an update on my recovery. knee infection is cleared up. still taking antibiotics. small hole in incision is healing up slowly. was visiting with my mom and was sitting on her porch swing. I had my foot on coffee table rocking back and forth and noticed I had no pain at all as my knee was bending and straightening. my mom noticed it also and was so happy I wasn't hurting. now what hurts so much is my right knee that still has OA so bad. hope I can get my tkr for right knee scheduled soon. I hope my recovery from it goes as well as my left tkr is. thanks again for all the great information and guidance. will update again soon. happy recoveries everyone

Just a little update; I am 12 wks. ltkr tomorrow. I am resting; icing; and elevating every day. there isn't much more to do with this virus situation. I have not had any PT since surgery on February 13th. my knee has been healing great. other than swelling; which is to be expected I have no pain at all. ROM is between 125 and 130 degrees. straightness is 0. all I do is adl's and a little walking around the yard . I go grocery shopping when needed with no problems. all in all I think I'm doing about as good as can be expected. this may seem like bragging but I don't mean it that way. I listened to bonesmart and I give them all the credit for the great guidelines. I can't wait to have my right knee scheduled to get done. I'll feel like the bionic man then. LOL Thanks again

Hey everyone;
it's been awhile since I posted any updates. just been sitting around reading everyone's threads. I'm one week shy of 4 mths.ltkr on February 13th. have recovered pretty good I think. I have good ROM at 130 and complete straightening. Dr. said I'm going real good; and has scheduled my right knee for tkr on July 30. I have pre-op on July 20. I can't wait!!! I rode my road bike yesterday for the first time since before Feb. I have to admit I was scared to death I wasn't going to be able to get a rotation with the OA in my right knee. I had my nephew push me off and hold on until I got going. once I was rolling it felt good. I rode .5 mi. and turned around. I couldn't ride but half way back because it was uphill and I'm to much out of shape at this point lol. I'm buying me a trainer to hook up to my bike so I can ride at home without fear of falling . that would not be good. well enough for now; hope everyone has a great day

hi everyon;
just wanted to give you all an update. I am scheduled for my 2nd tkr; this one on my right knee on 30 July. my left tkr is healing great thanks to the great advice of bonesmart moderators and all the other members on this forum. my 1st replacement was on the 13th of February. I am 4.5 months postoperative and couldn't be any happier with the surgery. I can walk, ride a bike, climb stairs, etc. I hope my 2nd one rehabs as well as the 1st one did. I have bad oa in my right knee so I still walk with a limp. I'm exercising a little bit along; not to much because that helped me prepare for my 1st surgery. doing water stretching in the jacuzzi at the YMCA helps the OA and keeps the knee loose. well that's all for now. wishing everyone a great recovery; and looking forward to the 30th when all this pain will be gone; arthritis anyway!!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back