Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

TKR doodlebug 60 tkr

doodlebug60

Country
United States United States
Hello everyone; I am 13 days post tkr. I have my 2nd follow up with my surgeon tomorrow to have my Staples removed. I am doing well. I have 92 degree from on my cpm. I have not had a PT and am doing just fine. I use my cpm 6hrs a day; and ice up after each session. Have 0 on my extension. I am walking without assistance. Just taking it slow and not trying to do to much. Dr says I am doing all the right things. Love all the great information I get from the nurses and moderators. Will update after my appointment tomorrow.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @doodlebug60 - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your knee replacement and which knee it is, so we can make a signature for you? Knowing the exact date will help us to advise you appropriately in the future.
Thank you.:flwrysmile:

Here are the recovery guidelines we give to everyone with a new knee:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

OP
OP
D

doodlebug60

Country
Hi everyone; my left knee total replacement was done on February 13. I went to my 2nd week appointment with my surgeon today. He removed my Staples. Said everything looks real good. Put sterile strips on incision. I am getting around well without assistance. Asked Dr. if I could go into sauna? He said no. Wants me to wait 6weeks because of the bacteria factor in a sauna. Said no jacuzzi either for 6wks. also. Incision is healing up good. Told me to keep doing my cpm like I've been doing. Don't try to over do it. Let the bend come naturally. I am at 92deg. flex and 0 extension. I am driving ok using my right leg for both gas and brake. Changing ice every 2-3 hrs. Elevation of left leg when I sleep. Can't sleep in the bed. Have to sleep in the recliner . No matter how I lie in bed; it shoots pain through my knee cap. That's about all for now. Have appointment with doctor in 6 weeks. Improving every day. Thanks for all your help

OP
OP
D

doodlebug60

Country
I like your surgeon! He is one of the newer thinking ones.
yeah I really like him also. today starts my first day of week 3. got out today and drove around paying bills. had to get in and out of the car a lot. walked a good amount. trying to walk correctly; it's hard when you've limped for so long. i had to climb a few steps. tried to do it one over the other: instead of dragging my bad leg up. hurt a little; but going down hurts worse. didn't get to ice down for about 6hrs. Boy i sure could tell it. back home now and all i want to do is work on my cpm with ice on. love reading all the great updates. getting better every day. hang in there guys and gals. bye for now. Frank Powers

Qdogpa

Country
The foot over foot down is very difficult, I think I jumped the gun at 4 weeks, and had a setback...started again this week with a 4” platform, still get a zinger on knee cap, so will slow that down...i started driving this week, which was week 5 post Op, small issue getting the right leg out, as the SUV I have is higher then my car... today, I just walked a bit and ADL’s , but no exercises the pT assigned ...I will say my dog ate my homework when she asks ...time is our friend...

Sara61

Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
Well done you seem to be doing brilliantly, driving at 2 weeks is impressive- just make sure you don't overdo things, ice plenty and get lots of rest.
Stairs will eventually become easier.

OP
OP
D

doodlebug60

Country
hey everyone; 3.5 weeks ltkr post-op. doing good I think. doing cpm 2-3 times a day. cpm is at 100 degree. getting better at heel slides. figured out the best way is to ice up and take pain pill 1 hour before rehab. walking around good without assistance. use ice constantly. rest and elevation when not working. went to the gym the other day and was able to do 20 minutes on elliptical machine. not all at once. 10min. x 2. can't do bicycle yet to painful. that's okay; I like elliptical better anyway. incision is healing up good. all scabs gone. still have a few dissolvable stitches. I'm not going to remove them; I'll let them come out on their own. all in all I'm doing well with recovery. thanks bonesmart for all the great information and guidance. I'm not using a PT and I'm doing fine. like you all said; just take it easy and let it come naturally. don't push yourself to hard. I'll update again in a few days. Frank Powers

OP
OP
D

doodlebug60

Country
hey everyone; today is 27 days post ltkr. doing good. mediquip came by yesterday and picked up my cpm machine. I miss it a little. I'm doing heel slides on bed like I did on cpm, and sitting on chair. went to gym and tried the elliptical again; couldn't do it long but not because of my tkr; my right knee gives out now because of the arthritis in it. I got on treadmill and walked at a slow speed for .5 miles. I walked slow so I could concentrate on walking correctly. you know; heel to toe and push off. sleeping better now; still waking up sometimes at night and need a pain pill; few and far between. doing daily activities as knee will permit. trying to do as bonesmart says and let knee rehab at it's pace. have not used PT at all since I left hospital. to everyone; just listen to moderators and take their advice and guidance and everything will work out great. thanks bonesmart!!! will update again soon

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Bob Stiff Knee
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom