Don't be like me and wait too long!

No. hubby and i travel
alone. We aren't party animals
I also used to solo camp in the wilderness
But this is not a good time for that!
We may try for a simple kayak trip to an offshore island next week before my confinement

I was thinking is these terms too, “confinement” :heehee:

I don’t really like not knowing when I will feel free again - or knowing that I have to surrender what little freedom I have left now to get back what I have already given up...but so be it!

A girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do!

Can only reiterate, @mainegirl1, that I am so happy that YOU enjoy camping and so happy that I don't have to partake. Despite the restrictions imposed by your deteriorating hip, I am glad that you're still able to get outside and do the things you love. Also, I think you'll be in better shape post surgery. I feel as if being able to be active before surgery helped with both hip recoveries. Still slogging along with #2, and certainly have bad and grumpy days, but when I step back I realize how lucky I am and I'm confident by year's end I'll be recovered and life will resume as it was before all this hip nonsense. Enjoy today--you're getting so close to your surgery date, my old date! Happy Tuesday!

Its been my own fault post TKR.
Petrified going downhill and without realizing it started mincing steps and not picking up feet
The typical old persons shuffle
Today worked on confident striding up and down rocks
We are staying on an island with no cars and just dirt paths. Up and down. Its hilly with rock ledges.
If you want to see anything like the 200 foot cliffs or art studios or the lighthouse or a shipwreck you gotta walk!
And I did. four miles. Now the rocker on the porch overlooking the harbor beckons

Four miles?!! Wow, @mainegirl1, you are doing pretty darn fabulously for someone just a few weeks away from hip replacement surgery! But great to read you're practicing striding up and down rocks, you are going to be really happy you did this post-surgery when, I'm betting, all this preop exercise that you're thankfully able to do (so many others, unfortunately, are much more restricted) will allow you to recover more quickly and easily. I was never at that level of fitness pre-surgery, but even the little I was able to do, faithfully on a daily basis, was good for me and I feel once I get past the tough early recovery I will be hitting my stride and marching confidently forward. Still, I bet that rocker on the porch felt pretty good yesterday! Happy hump day!

Wardrobe for hospital musings.
I may need a roll on suitcase.. Seems winter is knocking on the door. Tomorrow in the 30's predawn.. What will ten days from now bring at 4:30 AM? Do I need a down coat.. And loose fitting pants and undies and baggy shirt.. and slip on shoes.. This will look like What Not to Wear!

Nearby here the snow is starting.. Oh I forgot the wool hat.

For some of you its summer.. I think it has just left here for 2019

Sounds like you've got all bases covered!
I lived in knee length t-shirt material lounge dresses for 2 weeks. One tip is that a long length caftan might get tangled up in your walker or crutches if you lean over too much. Maybe temporarily hem it up a bit so it's above your ankles?
Second tip is to make sure you take verrrrry stretchy underwear with not tight elastic at legs. Your leg will swell, and my incision area, even though covered with a bandage, was tender for quite a while. I have just now (at 11 weeks!) discovered stretchy 'boy shorts' style underwear that have no sideseams. They are incredibly comfortable and I wish I had bought them 11 weeks ago!

Good luck packing!

Duluth Trading Company makes seamless boy shorts stretchy underwear..
As an aside I hate a walker. Everyone I see who is using it is way hunched over.. I think mine might be adjustable.. There are videos on how to adjust its height. One of the reasons for THR is I cannot stand up straight and I want to get rid of that slouched posture! My knee when I lie is not flat on the floor.. I can straighten it but my hip refused to extend so the whole thigh is in the air

Hunching over the walker is a no no. On YouTube there's a couple of PT named Bob and Brad that have good demonstration for walker and cane use. Very informative, not boring to watch check it out. Also PT in the hospital will go over proper walking with the walker before you leave. Just type in Bob and Brad on YouTube. Remember, heel toe foot straight. I'm excited for you, can ya tell?!! :happyfeet:

Well, apparently in Maine, a down coat is 11-month-out-of-the-year attire :loll:

I knew Maine people had two extra helpings of “grit” in their makeup, and now we know why! If it’s that unfriendly outside most of the time, it takes a huge amount of get up and go to...you know...go anywhere.

And look at you @mainegirl1 - you don’t just go, you go everywhere! My daughter has a word for you, highest of high praise, but too naughty for this forum, so I will just say, she and I salute you! :yahoo:

Yeah, I totally agree with you about the walker, @mainegirl1 It was way more trouble than it was worth, and last time and with this most recent hip replacement, I ditched it as early as possible, within a few days. With hip #1 I went to using a walking pole but this time around I graduated to just walking with no aids. With hip #1 I think I was nervous about putting weight on my hip and felt I needed the walking pole to help out. This time I just decided within a day or two that I could and should put full and equal weight on both hips. Granted, I know the risk of falling is a significant issue but inside the house I felt very secure and outside I'd hold lightly onto my husband's arm. The first few steps I take after getting up from a chair or off the side of the bed are quite cautious and slow as I prime myself for walking, but usually within a few steps I'm walking well, comfortably (well, mostly--thigh still hurts) and confidently. You are really close now, and while not exactly "excited" at the prospect you're definitely in the home stretch! And looking like a bag lady shouldn't concern you--it's all about your comfort and ease. You just tilt your chin up and be proud--you've got this! And I truly believe being able to stay relatively active before surgery will totally pay off after surgery with a more comfortable and faster recovery. That's been my experience anyway. Can't wait to see you on the other side!

Hello!
I thought all walkers were adjustable @mainegirl1 Hmmm?
They are a pain for sure and a joy to leave behind. I guess we shouldn't complain about such things though as they assist in our mobility at a time when moving around is difficult.

I can't believe your temps are dipping that low already. That can't possibly last as I've been out that way many a Labor Day weekend and experienced normal Summer heat. Personally, I do favor cooler temps but not quite that cold, well yet anyways.

I've read here of many wearing the boy shorts post op, although I can't attest to their comfort myself as I've never tried. Good luck with your search and Happy Saturday! Not long now.

Oh the temp will ying yang from now till October.. The best months of the year. Maybe the best months to recuperate just from being.. And noticing.. And not running around The lows are of course at night and the highs now in the high 60s and the lake water warm..
I love my expensive camera! I am actually planning a lot of mini walkabouts with it and my new gardening vest which has some dozen pockets for garden tools ( or in my case lenses! and filters!)
Snowed a little on Mt Washington NH.. That is 25 miles away and over 6000 feet up.. It melted.
I have to have the walker otherwise I get expelled from Maine Med pre op. I used it for my knee for about two days at home , finding a cane the ticket for around the house and then hiking poles ( we have several pairs and have had them for years) for outside walking.. Hopefully that will work this time. my neighbor up the street has a medical supply closet.. a closet hoarder. She says.. "You never know when you will need something"
I am forgoing a toilet riser as our toilet is 17 inches off the floor and at 22 inches my feet wouldn't touch the floor!

I spent the day at my favorite cooking store alas.. and shopping.. and doing errands including getting 25 bags of charcoal for my hubby ( who wasn't slacking at home..he is building a new deck and trying to get it all done before I get done) and of course his favorite locally roasted coffee. And a new nylon duck for my dog. You know little stuff that will require a bigger outing post op.

@Barbaraj we are sorta like PNW ites.. Coffee is important. ( but Starbucks is ---sorry--inferior)

@Layla I actually went and looked at the walker that I had just thrown in the car.. Yes you are right it is adjustable.

Hmm.. to do... A Netflix playlist
Knitting: projects lined up. Repetitive and not needing thought. Cross stitch I think is not in the cards right away though I am working on a 16x24 cross stitch. Got it at Hobby Lobby on sale. I think it will be the eternal Unfinished Project

I can't figure this pain thing out.. I forgot about the bum hip all day today. For that I am grateful.. It seems to mirror the weather.

The walker was good to me...for me...and necessary.
All temporary!

Well, I'm sticking with my Starbucks, @mainegirl1, although I am willing to concede, as I'm not a coffee aficionado (just a bit of a caffeine addict so most coffees will suffice to fill that need), that it may not be the best. I don't have it that often as we've got a Nespresso machine at home and that's what I use most mornings for my caffeine fix. It might produce rubbishy coffee as well, but again, it's the caffeine that I'm craving--and I only drink lattes so really coffee flavored hot milk sometimes.

You are getting all lined up with projects to occupy your time in recovery--good for you! I can't imagine wanting to tackle a 16X24 cross stitch project as I don't have the patience for handwork these days. But a Netflix playlist plus a bunch of junky mysteries would be the ticket for me. Getting close! Five more days to go!

@Barbaraj I thought the 19 th was a week from tomorrow
have to go find a calendar and double check
Do you want another cup of coffee? Iltbe happy to make one for you. And drink it too!

Last edited:
Duh, @mainegirl1 I do need more coffee! You are right, it’s a few more days than I noted—just overly eager for you to get this over and done, so you’re hitting the recovery trail!

Into the homestretch.. I have been sleeping through the night but I know from past experience I need to get to surgery well hydrated... So here goes... No more minging on the water to avoid getting up in the night. The hardest thing is that when I go paddling ( most days) I definitely do not drink enough water. And tomorrow will be a longish trip on the ocean taking photos of lobster boats at work. It may be a while before I can do that again.. Odd how I feel so not disabled now that surgery is closer. Even went off Tylenol.. Pain free. Perhaps afraid of doing some specific movements like bending down.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom