BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Donny's getting a new hip!

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by donnybasbl, Aug 9, 2018.

1. donnybasbl

donnybasbl junior member

United States United States
    Hello all. I'm scheduled for left THR on Sept 24th. Surgery scheduled at HSS in New York City. My surgeon is using the anterior approach. Tough to be excited about surgery, but I wish it was August 24th because the pain continues to worsen each day.

I can remember back to Christmas time of 2016 with absolutely zero pain in my hip and flash forward to now with a pain level of 12 on a scale of 10. I still play golf once a week because, for some reason, the motion of the golf swing doesn't create any pain for me while it's happening. Walking the course is out of the question now, though, due to the groin pain and inflammation.

The surgeon estimates that I could be back on the golf course by Thanksgiving. I would have hoped for March, so that gives me a nice cushion.

My MRI showed a completely torn labrum and virtually no cartilage remaining in the area, with a large bone growth on the ball. I'm relatively young (51) and still active, but I have been feeling older and older each day, as I limp around.

I've had a half dozen orthopedic surgeries in my life, but none since about 2008. I'm a little anxious to be going back under the knife, but definitely looking forward to being free of bone to bone pain in my hip.

2. bottomshollow

bottomshollow ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

moved 12.jpg @donnybasbl, from the September surgery list thread into a thread of your own where it properly belongs. Here you and your questions and concerns will get the attention they deserve. Even though I've moved your post, I will be putting you on the September list as you requested. Also, if you'd like another title for your thread, just let us know by posting what you want.

welcome dog 3.jpg to the forum. We're so pleased that you have joined us here. Please check out our Library about all things hip! In no time other members will be interacting with you.

Take care and keep us posted, WE CARE!
    Take care an

3. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi and Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us!
    I'm sorry you're struggling with pain. Sadly, it's pretty common in the weeks leading up to surgery.
    You'll find a few articles below that may be useful -

http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/choosing-a-surgeon-and-a-prosthesis.2491/
    http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/...visions-how-long-will-my-new-joint-last.4491/
    http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/recovery-aids-a-comprehensive-list-for-hospital-and-home.12499/

Wishing you comfort as you await September 24th. Stop back often, you'll find lots of support here.
    @donnybasbl

4. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:wave: and welcome to a great tool for hip replacement.
    Oh my stars...that MRI definitely says "that hip has to GO!"
    I had double hip replacement last year at the ripe old age of 53.
    My bad hips had me feeling like I was 100 and the pain kept me sleep deprived, limping, and though I feel like I soldiered on for quite some time...I was eventually desperately miserable.
    Hip replacement has given me my life back and I feel healthier and happier than I have been in years!
    Hang in there...not too much longer!:friends:

• Like Like x 2
  5. donnybasbl

donnybasbl junior member

Thank you for the welcome. I've been working in healthcare for 10 years and was lucky enough to be referred to a surgeon who is one of the best at one of the best ortho hospitals in the world, so I feel like i'm in really good hands.

I was lucky enough that he has availability in late September. But of course it's never that easy. He requires a dental clearance, and as fate would have it, a crown from a 20 year old root canal fell out last night. The dentist had previously told me that I need to have that tooth extracted and have an implant inserted, but I clearly do not want to start that process now, particularly if they determine I need a bone graft.

I'm waiting to hear back from my surgeon's assistant, as I want to understand all of his requirements around the dental clearance and potential dental work subsequent to the hip replacement. I have a consultation with my dentist next Monday to see what my options are right now with this crown that has now fallen off twice in the past 6 months.

6. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Oh dear - bummer about the dental work. I hope you and your dentist can find a temporary solution for now to keep you comfortable until at least 6 months post op. At least you will have time to heal before your op date no matter what solution they come up with.

7. Going4fun

Going4fun member

Hi @donnybasbl, I feel you on the dental issue.

Went in for my pre-op dental clearance ... and dentist extracted a tooth had an "active infection" that was in the gums, and he cleaned up another and prepped it for a crown. Right now, I have a fake tooth cemented into my mouth .. will get crown and temporary bridge a few days before surgery. And I'm taking a course of Penicillin to make sure things are clear. And yes, my dentist added a bone graft at the site of the extracted tooth ... just to retain bone there.

My understanding is that an extraction and a little cleanup solves the problem of an "active infection," the issue that worries surgeons. My problem became cosmetic: the extracted tooth is very visible, so to allow me to smile without feeling too bad, he needed to order a bridge and give me a temp tooth in the meantime ... And yes, dentist wants me to ultimately get an implant in place of the bridge ...

I consulted with a surgeon from HSS as well ... I met with David Mayman, and he doesn't do anterior, so I know you're not having surgery with him. But HSS has a roster of excellent surgeons. Loved Mayman ... he attracts a lot of people who are athletic and want to return to their athletic lives ... But I found a local guy closer to home who I really like.

So hopefully your dental will work out without a big problem.

BTW: my dentist pointed out that I already have three titanium dental implants--none of which got infected from the decay-bacteria in the teeth he worked on ... So he politely wondered whether the orthopedic worry about a dental problem ultimately infecting a joint replacement was overblown.

8. donnybasbl

donnybasbl junior member

Thanks for the reply Going4fun. I have had 5 orthopedic surgeries over the years, so while this would be the most major surgery (I had elbow ligament reconstruction - Tommy John Surgery in 2005), I don't have a lot of apprehension about the THR.

The dental work, on the other hand, scares the hell out of me. I have an appointment on Monday to see if there is a temporary solution rather than starting the implant process and if they will even give me the dental clearance with this crown having fallen out.

I just booked my pre-surgical testing and consultations for Sept 6th, so that's taken care of.

I'll continue to provide updates as I have them.

9. Jaycey

@donnybasbl I completely forgot this until just now but I went to my LTHR with a temporary crown. Only a few days before my op I lost a crown. I was in such a panic as I thought the surgery would have to be postponed. Went to my dentist and the did a temporary crown that stayed on for several months. I was able to schedule putting in the permanent crown once I got post op clearance.

Dentist in the US can sometimes be very pushy about wanting you to go the most expensive route. Insist on a temporary solution with a plan to follow up once you have clearance. Good luck in Monday!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. donnybasbl

donnybasbl junior member

Thanks Jaycey. That is my concern. I've been with this dentist for 15 years and she's fantastic. But last year, the practice was acquired by one of the private equity backed dental groups here in the US and it seems as though every time I go, i'm being upsold on something new that I need. I'm tired of spending time in the dentist chair and i'm worried that something as simple as re-cementing a crown will turn into something I don't want to get into right now. We'll see. I can always get a second opinion, if need be.

11. Jaycey

Exactly! I always felt like the dentist was trying to finance their new car via my teeth! Implants are quite expensive and the procedure is fair invasive. Stay tough and insist on getting what you want. If not - yes you have time to get another opinion.

12. Going4fun

Going4fun member

@donnybasbl, I hear you on fear of dental upselling. I go to an excellent dentist and he's very aggressive, but I have a serious history with dental problems ...

Just to calm you nerves, there is no way you need an implant before surgery ... Usually dentists like the extraction site to heal a bit ... and then you get an implant ... I waited a year before I got one implant at a site a few years back .... The longer you wait, the more likely they will want to add a bonegraft when they insert the implant. But traditional practice, I think, is to allow the extraction site to heal for about four months ... before proceeding with implant.

Just to be clear, all your hip surgeon is concerned about is an active infection ... An implant is not an infection treatment. It's a new tooth, of course. So your dentist shouldn't be pushing that for clearance before joint replacement.

Only recently have A FEW implant practitioners begun doing implant insertion at the same time as extraction. But the traditional route (still considered state-of-the-art) is to wait at least two to three months or even four months ... after extraction to insert the implant.

If your dentist insists on immediate insertion of an expensive implant, consider going elsewhere.

A simple extraction solves your problem. Yes, a missing tooth (and some cleanup in the area around the infected site) solves your problem. And yes you can get a fake tooth like I have ... or a temp bridge (like I will get shortly) ... if your appearance is compromised.

Bottom line: an implant has NOTHING to do with what the hip surgeon is worried about, which is an infection coming from the mouth and going to the site of the new joint.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  13. donnybasbl

donnybasbl junior member

I had my dentist appointment today. As I feared, the original tooth is just too decayed to try to re-cement the crown for a third time. I need to have an extraction and bone graft done.

They will be doing it under sedation, which will pretty much eliminate all of my dental related anxiety. So I have a consultation with the oral surgeon early next week and then the surgery will be either later next week or early the week after.

The implant will then be placed 6 months after my hip surgery.

Then I have a cleaning scheduled for two weeks prior to hip surgery and i'll get the dental clearance at that point as well.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  14. Jaycey

Well in a way this is good news. At least you will go ahead with your THR on the date you have booked. Dental work under sedation sounds like the way to go. Hope it goes well!

15. donnybasbl

donnybasbl junior member

Thanks Jaycey. Yes....my preference would be no oral surgery, but the sedation will remove most of the anxiety for me. Now the decision is, do I really need to spend money on an implant. I know a few people (my wife included) who had their bottom back molar extracted, didn't have an implant inserted and are doing just fine. Anyway, not hip related.....I'll figure it out.

I'm very fortunate in a number of ways.

I've had 5 orthopedic surgeries in the past, including an elbow ligament reconstruction which left my dominant arm immobilized for over 2 months and microfracture knee surgery which for which recovery was non-weight bearing for 6 weeks. So i'm used to dealing with discomfort post-op and working toward goals.

I have a really good support system at home. I have two teenage daughters, one of whom is much more helpful than the other, but both are good, capable kids. My wife is an Occupational Therapist and does most of the work around the house due to the work hours that my career requires, so the upkeep of the house will not suffer.

I'm in finance, so I work at a desk all day. This is a little tricky because I just started with a new company in July and then I spring this surgery thing on them. They're very supportive. Obviously, I'd like to get back to work as soon as possible, but i'll play that by ear.

Now it's just about taking care of things before then. We've had construction going on in the house since June and we've given our contractor a drop dead finish date of mid-September. We can't have all this work still going on while not knowing what my mobility around the house will be. Right now, our family room and master bedroom are not useable.

A good part of the construction is a small bathroom that's being upgraded just for my use. NO GIRLS ALLOWED!!!!! This was in the works before I knew about surgery and i'm fortunate because it has a brand new walk in shower, which will obviously be optimal for me post-surgery.

The largest portion of manual labor I do around the house is maintain our pool, which is a decent amount of work requiring a lot of bending and twisting, so it's been a real struggle this summer. I'm going to have that closed down the weekend before my surgery so that it doesn't sit unattended waiting for my bionic hip to get bionic.

As I indicated in another thread, I read a handful of the recovery threads and got a little freaked out there for a couple of days, so i'll probably not read too many of those between now and my surgery date. Everyone's recovery is different and every has different pain tolerance levels. I'm lucky in that i've been through surgeries in the past, i've been an athlete my entire life and i've maintained a good weight over the years (i'm planning to try to drop 5 pounds between now and Sept 24th). I think those threads are really therapeutic for the post-recovery individuals, but I don't want to acquire bad bias going in.

I'll continue to post as I have relevant information or questions.

16. Mojo333

I rehabbed at my sisters mainly for the walk in shower.
    Much easier.
    Sounds like you'll be ready to get this bionic hip show on the road.:yes:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Barbaraj

Barbaraj senior

Hi @donnybasbl I was looking on the forum this morning, and noticed you are scheduled for surgery 2 days before me. Sounds like you've had surgeries before so, while I'm sure this will be a new experience, at least you've got the drill down somewhat and know what recovery might be like. We are in the middle of a kitchen/bath remodel as well, and the contractor has also been sternly told this MUST be finished ASAP and definitely before the end of September! Despite your surgeries, it sounds as if you're in pretty good shape overall if you've been athletic most of your life. I am not an athlete, but have been active my entire life so feel as if I'm in good shape going into this surgery despite my continuing horror and amazement that I am in this situation to begin with. Anyway, just wanted to say "hi" and wish you the best for your upcoming surgery. Glad you've got a good support team at home and I'm betting you'll do great. Now, just the waiting--argh, absolutely the worst part for me!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi there :wave:
    Well...your big day is almost here.
    I hope you're able to do something enjoyable this weekend.
    If you have time on Sunday, consider starting your Recovery thread so you'll be ready to roll Post op.
    We have articles to leave you that will help answer questions as you move through recovery.
    Wishing you comfort as you await Monday.
    @donnybasbl

19. Mojo333

Bye bye hip pain:yahoo:
    See you on the healing side!:tada:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Alitm

Alitm graduate

Canada Canada
    Hi @donnybasbl

Wishing you the best for tomorrow! Being fit is half the battle! See you on the healing side. You've got this!

• Like Like x 1