THR DONE!

Day 9 post surgery, day 2 of PT and I rocked the timed “tests” my OS likes to see! 2 more PT next week and I am on my own! We discussed a walking program and my PT guy made a great suggestion, go to the high school track and walk! Looking forward to starting in another couple of weeks so we ( DH included as he is sitting in his recliner watching me nap!) can get ready for Italy in October!

YAY! Awesome progress ~
I like walking and am up to a mile w/a single point cane now....every day I went further and feel it's the BEST for healing hips!
Great to her you're doing so well!

Last edited by a moderator:
@Thesoutherncook Wow, you have done great! What is your major discomfort now? Was the pain when you first came out of recovery as bad as the pain you were experiencing before surgery? My OS said I would probably be in less pain after than before. Keep up the speedy recovery!

@Jesus fan My pain after surgery was mostly surgery related - nerve pain from manipulation and log leg. The burning nerve pain in my thigh has gone. I am on Lyrica for it, so not sure if it is doing the trick or time has calmed it. I plan to take the Lyrica for 2 weeks total, then stop and see where I am. The log leg was gone in the first week. So, now I only have soft tissue discomfort - bruising and some swelling. I ice, elevate and take Tylenol. The terrible groin pain I had presurgery was gone immediately! Yeahhhhh!
This is truly a “piece of cake” compared to TKR ( thus the cupcake avatar! ). I was not convinced the first week, but now see clearly it is!

Yes ...I had the same thought evolution
Hip replacement?:thud:
Hmm No other choices...:chinstroke:
OK, let's do this!:unsure:
Oh my stars! What did I do?:flabber:
I think I'll live.:)

Hey! It actually worked!:yahoo:

@Bone-obo :running: The PT “timed tests” are requested by my OS! One was how many times I could sit and stand (from a chair with arms). 19! And the other 2 involved timed walking..one for distance and one around an obstacle and back. Whatever it takes to, once again, graduate from PT! My PT was happy and I suspect my OS will be as well. I have a PT “wardrobe” that much like maternity clothes ( MANY years ago) I will happily burn at the end of this joint replacement recovery #3!

I read someone's thread yesterday ( no idea now whose it was? ) about being afraid to get out of bed for fear of dislodging the prothesis and another who was tired of books, movies, 4 walls, etc.... I can commiserate. However, stepping back and taking a look at my pain levels 3 months ago and pain level today and thinking forward 3 months ( when I will be packing for a 2 week trip to Italy), I have to say there ARE better days ahead! Look at the BIG picture! Carpe Diem!

Ack!!! Rash around incision and lots of itching!!! Took pic and messaged to my dr friend who advised removing steri strips! Thankfully, she says incision looks good! Very thankful for technology!!!

2 week report! Wow! Where has the time gone? The 2nd week was definitley better than first! I've had minor pain today and forgot my mid day Tylenol. Now its catching up with me! Ice, elevation, tylenol, walking laps through the house,reading, watching mindless Hallmark tv movies...that's pretty much my days! But not forever!

The rash is going away and has ( thankfully) stopped itching! I've successfully come off the Lyrica ( for the nerve burning sensations in my thigh). Hoping these will be my only glitches to an otherwise “normal” recovery!

I'm getting cabin fever and will venture out Thursday afternoon to a lovely spa for a very careful, gentle pedi! What a nice treat! It gives me something to look forward to.

:wave:So glad to hear from you.
No, not forever...and good for you for giving this recovery the time it needs so you can rock that hip for a lifetime.
Hope all continues to get better and better!

:wave:Hi
Great update! I'm happy to hear your pain is easing to the point of forgetting doses. Progress!
Good news on the rash too. Anything itchy is so annoying.

You're going to love the pedi! I know I did. Don't want to rain on your parade but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention this. Is your OS okay with a salon / spa pedi? Some are, some aren't. Mine wasn't :boohoo: You may want to check unless you've already been down this road with your TKR's.

Hope you have fun on your little getaway tomorrow. Cabin Fever does feel real after a couple weeks.
Enjoy your time away from home!
@Thesoutherncook

@Layla Great point about checking with OS. If I had not visited this particular professional esthetician prior to surgery and know how clean/careful/meticulous she is, I would certainly ask the OS staff. To walk into a typical nail salon off the street? No way! My OS is one of those who advises antibiotics for dental cleanings (and none for 3 months after surgery!) so I do understand precautions! I promise this will be a VERY conservative pedi!:scaredycat:

Last PT appt is this afternoon which seems crazy since I spent the entire summer with them after TKR! Of course, since I'm a “repeat offender” as my PT calls me, I have “drop in” privileges! :heehee:

Energy drain still hits me when I least expect it.

Repeat offender:heehee:.
That energy drain is a bummer but your body needs to use all that energy for the deep healing going on!

I hope today is a good day.
I kind-of want a cupcake right now...I'm sure that's on you!

Well, come on up to the mtns ( we're only 2 hrs from metro ATL) and we'll bake up a batch of cupcakes!

BTW, PT released me from my cane at home! He says take it in public to warn people to stay away! :whistle:
I've got some really TIGHT quads and gluts on the THR side. @Janene We could have house party with cupcakes and yoga??

:wave:Hi
Great update! I'm happy to hear your pain is easing to the point of forgetting doses. Progress!
Good news on the rash too. Anything itchy is so annoying.

You're going to love the pedi! I know I did. Don't want to rain on your parade but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention this. Is your OS okay with a salon / spa pedi? Some are, some aren't. Mine wasn't :boohoo: You may want to check unless you've already been down this road with your TKR's.

Hope you have fun on your little getaway tomorrow. Cabin Fever does feel real after a couple weeks.
Enjoy your time away from home!
@Thesoutherncook

@Layla. Again , you have the best advice..I’m in such need for a pedi, but I never thought about checking with Doctor.
My concern was climbing into those chairs...
Ugh.
My PT suggested going to a podiatrist.
“Pick a color”
I don’t think so.
I’m interested in your decision, S Cook.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom