MUA Done in Time for the Carolina Basketball Game!

I think, in function, you are doing better than she is. To me, that's what counts, not numbers. She might have the better bend, but she's paying for it with excessive pain, needing opiods to be able to bare it. That is not good. I'd rather have your results than hers.

I would agree. I’ve been lucky in my recovery, but I’ve also tried not to worry about numbers at all and just to look at “can I do the things I need to do?” So for me, for example, being able to sit on the floor to do a water change in the fish tank yesterday afternoon is waaaay more meaningful than how many degrees I'm bending. I’d take minimal pain, minimal meds over bend any day. You’re able to live your life, which is like the whole point of having this surgery, right? It was for me.

You two make a good point. It's definitely changed my attitude toward my ROM.

Also, I got three more degrees of flexion today, on my own, and maintained my extension on my own, too. This is what I am hoping for: I want to find a good path to progress that doesn't involve traumatic pain.

Thanks.

There are too many high expectations on achieving a quick high ROM I now don't even think of numbers as long as I am able to do my everyday activities without too much strain I'm happy- I have no desire to run a marathon or do any radical sports lol... I think the roms & extension will come at their own speed with time - you are still at a early stage and with time you will achieve what you want.
I have now been released from PT and basically told to use daily a static or recumbent bike for up to 10- 15 minutes and to just walk and I now know myself how far I can push myself ..even at 3 months my knee has its limits and certainly let's me know what I can & can't do.
Hang in there ...It's worth it in the end xxx

Well, I saw Come From Away, last night, mostly sitting in chairs outside the doors to my seats inside the theater. I sat in my seat in the theater for about 30 minutes, but I couldn’t make it any longer, even in my aisle seat. Fortunately, there’s a closed circuit tv in the lobby (that might not be the technology anymore, but the show was broadcasted on the screen, somehow). I went back in for the last 15 minutes. I was pretty discouraged and very uncomfortable, but the show was terrific! I’m glad I went.

If you get a chance to see Come From Away, I recommend you see it. It’s a powerful recollection of the events of September 11th, 2001, from a very human perspective, mostly flattering, but not wholly so.

Anyway, I’m resting in my nest with my ice and my streaming services and audiobooks and so on. I have one student, late afternoon. I hope to attend Shabbat Services tonight, but if I can’t, so be it.

wrestling with worse pain than I’ve had in several weeks. Not the worst since the surgery, but bad enough that I’m afraid the powers that be heard me say my pain level wasn’t bad and tried to knock me down a peg.

I guess I need more rest, but I want more activity, whine, whine, whine.

So here’s a limerick

There once was a bug with a knee,
That sometimes could sting like a bee.
She had the knee fixed,
But it still pulls some tricks:
While she’s whining it joins in off key.

Lovely limerick....

I started flare-ups around 6 weeks, for periodic "over-doing it" moments. It was when I returned to work part-time. I definitely needed more rest, but had to return to work...I've mentioned on my thread that I have read weeks 6-16 are very frustrating for most people, because this is when ODIC is the most prevalent!

Hang in there, it will subside, and faster than in the past!

Pain seems better this afternoon, yay! So confusing, though. My knee is like a toddler with unpredictable moods and explosive tantrums, then it curls up with me and falls asleep. So weird.

That is true. A very sneaky toddler who never lets you know where the next assault will be.

Great metaphor! Yep. Throw in the tendency to trash the house... ala stuff I can't be bothered to pick up off the floor, or put away per wonky healing knee!
...My knee is like a toddler with unpredictable moods and explosive tantrums, then it curls up with me and falls asleep. So weird.

Hope you are feeling better today and your tantrumatic knee is behaving herself.
I almost chopped mine off last night... I was like a 90 year old woman I could barely walk- lol taught me a lesson which no doubt I will forget just as quickly...as one does.
Slept with my underblanket on low heat all night took a iberbrufen and today feel human again weather does really affect our temperament..
I have a consultation with my physiotherapist doctor today and think I might be finally discharged another step towards normaldom.
I'm due to start working mid March but can honestly say I'm looking forward to it as I've been too long on my own with just the dogs and DH for company it will be good to see people again - fortunately I work part time in a busy social Tennis club at the reception :)
Keep in touch as I enjoy your posts xx

I have definitely found my return to work to be a balm for my spirit, @Sara61. I’m fortunate to have work that is social and, mostly easy to adapt to the whims of my knee. Weekends I teach, though, and that has been more demanding physically. Still I l love that work. Keep striding toward normaldom because I can see you way off in the distance!

It’s early today, so we’ll see how I feel. I hit 86 and 9 degrees on the Goniometer yesterday, which feels like I can say I’m seeing a slow, but steady improvement, even taking into account margins for error.

Today is another gym day for me, which makes me happy. I think I’ve figured out what leaves lasting pain in this knee and what doesn’t, but I almost hate to say that! On Monday, I stopped doing the two upper body exercises that use my legs for leverage, and added rowing back into the mix. It seemed to work well.

I hope everyone has a better day today than yesterday!

@Pattikakes I saw on your thread that you had a spot on your incision that wouldn’t heal. I have a similar issue. What was it like to get it to heal, finally, if you don’t mind telling me.

Agh! I have caught the cold that has been running around our area! Not fair to be chased by a cold when I can’t run away!

My face hurts.

Alas.

I hope everyone is doing better today than yesterday.

I've caught that cold of yours up here in Virginia. You could have kept it down there with you!

Actually, that cold is a way to slow you down and rest that knee more. That's always a good thing.

Tell me about that rowing machine. Do you actually bend your knees while moving your arms, or is it mostly just arm movement? Is it painful to your knee? How do you get in and out of it? Do you have more swelling and pain afterwards?

@sistersinhim funny thing about catching colds is that it’s hard to keep them from chasing after other people too!

On the rowing machine, I do bend my knees, but only within my comfortable range of motion. Before my surgery, the bulk of the power came from my legs, but, for now, I’m using my core and arms to drive the work.

As long as I’m conscious of the stroke rate, my knee seems to be okay. My instinct tells me to row at a faster stroke rate because my stroke length has shortened, so I have to resist that or I’ll burn up my knee.

Getting in and out is like getting into a low beach chair, a movement that has always been comical for me because I haven’t been able to put my left knee on the ground for decades.

It really seems like a good option for me, but, before the surgery, I had been using a rowing machine at Orange Theory Fitness four times a week. In the last two months before the surgery, I was rowing in place of the treadmill work, doubling up, which often added up to 4 miles of rowing in a session. So, it’s an exercise modality that I’m comfortable with.

It’s a treat to get back to it.

They have a rowing machine at the Y, but I've never tried it. I have a very difficult time getting up from a low spot. It sounds like you have conquered that. You also sound like you know exactly what you are doing with it, so there's no advice I can give you except be careful.

For others out there, be careful if you choose to try a rowing machine. Test the waters very gently. This can be very rough on a baby knee. Maybe use it a couple of minutes at first, that's all. Then wait and see what your knee says about it.

Sound awesome about the rowing machine Helizabug, but I am such a kluzt (even before TKR) I would probably FALL into the thing trying to get seated to row... :kickedout:

I tend to do better with stuff a little higher off the ground. My peddling is going better. Up to a whopping 11 minutes. Thanks for the encouragement!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
corvettejanie
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom