TKR My TKR 12/16/19: Easier Than I Thought - THEN AGAIN!

I love the good report, and I hope it all continues well!

I’ve lost weight too, and I hope I can maintain. Weight is a multi-faceted issue, but I know what mine comes from, and I’m going to try to manage it.

enjoy the progress, but don’t hesitate to whine a little too, if you need to. I know that my attitude has been quite good for the most part, and now that I’ve hit a possible snag, I feel funny about posting my less upbeat stuff.

I hope you only have reason to continue to post great progress! We’re here for all of it.

So fellow travelers, I'm just a month in (TKR 12/16) and things are going well (aside from the insomnia bouts). My question is how long does the skin patch numbness last?

I am talking about the numbness, in my case, on the outside area of my knee at the scar area. It is numb to the touch going down a strip about three inches long, about an inch wide. I've read that this is sometimes permanent due to nerves being cut during surgery and some cases persists; some say say the numb area is less over time. Comments?

Last edited:
My numbness from earlier surgeries improved but never went away completely. Now, it’s back. It’s a weird feeling, but I think I forgot about for quite a while before this surgery.

Hola: Especially today, I am noticing a clunk with every step sometimes or just sometimes rocking my ankle up and down at points. Like lift foot up (as in taking a step) clunk as foot goes down, or the other way around (putting the foot down).

Not sure how to explain further, but a clunk I can feel, but it does not happen all the time? It is preferable to the grinding bone on bone!

Others experience this as well?

Hi - yeah I get quite a few pops and clicks and clunks. They kind of come and go, never hurt. I figure its just the swelling in there still moving around, and the Dr said its to be expected. Seems like its fairly normal, I'm not going to worry about it, but if its still doing it maybe around month I might get it checked

3 months on and also just beside my incision on the left - a small patch is still numb..it's really a weird feeling especially when shaving ones legs :heehee: My surgeon says with time it should disappear. I find massaging it with cream helps, infact I have been using Bio Oil twice daily and my scar is fading nicely.

Yeah, if the numb patch remains I can live with it. I finally have started to massage it a bit. So we shall see. Thank you for your help everyone!

We finally got some chilly weather here, but no snow yet. We shut down when it snows, most of us can’t drive in it, which amuses the rest of the country, but it’s nice to get an unexpected break.

It is a technique to snow driving, though more Michiganders seem to have lost it. One is not to grip the steering wheel too tightly as a crazy as that sounds. LOL! I prefer snow over ice.

I'm not going out in it until Monday... too fearful of falling and uneven surfaces of snow are hard on imperfect or surgical knees. Think SPRING already I say!

Years ago I fell in an icy parking lot, hitting the sidewalk with my face and breaking a tooth (near the front :yikes:). And that was with 2 healthy knees! I don’t go out now unless I have to if it’s snowing.

Oh my! That confirms the extra care I must apply when I go out. I don't care how 'doddering' I've looked or will look cane and all, that beats falling and if I don't have to venture out I will not.

My ultra brave days are well behind me.

My ultra brave days are well behind me.
I sold Avon for years and I walked up many an icy sidewalk to hang the Avon book on the door! I was careful so it didn’t bother me. Until I fell. (not doing an Avon run at the time.) That put the fear in me. It took several months of dental work to repair my tooth.

I'm worried about the ODIC factor when I resume work. I've already put in a mobile phone alert to exercise a bit during pre-lunch ala put leg up on chair and ice as needed etc.!

Last edited:
It's good that you're planning ahead, but you still have plenty of time for improvement. We recommend taking about 12 weeks off work and then doing a Phased return to work .

By 12 weeks, your knee should be much more capable of handling an increased amount of activity.
By the way, I've moved your post, above, from another member's thread, because it had noshing to do with her recovery, and it might have derailed the thread. Please try to post about your own recovery in your own thread.

Those mini cool-packs sound like the move. Especially for long days. I have to figure out what shoes can take me long term all day at work too. With a pair of gym shoes under the desk as a fall-back measure!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom