THR Done at last

Laughed at the chart above Mojo. Over all I am thankful for 2.5 week progression. Seems like the evenings after PT check your humility in this process. Patience is not my virtue plus being a Man most of us are more prone to over do ! I have to keep reminding myself that time is on my side so quit rushing things! Still using cane most often but do small jaunts without, some pain yesterday after PT until bed. At least recently my sleep has gone from 4 hours to 5 1/2. Not a great back sleeper. Thank you so much for checking in with me

@Noel310 that chart is so spot on and totally explains recovery! :banana-santa: Patience isn't usually a virtue for most of us but we have to learn it so we don't suffer a trip to the ODIC or worse. It's good that you're starting to get more sleep at night, it does take a while. Totally get that back sleeping discomfort, not my favorite either. Remember you can always nap here and there to get some extra zzzs in!.:sleep:

At the 3 week mark hip mobility is good without pain but cellulitis which caused redness from incision all the way around to my left butt cheek appeared. Got in to OS and he ran labs and got me antibiotics. Taking for 2 days now and skin looking better. So that said a little anxiety going on. :wow:

I am sorry you are dealing with cellulitis, and I am sure it has caused you anxiety! It sounds like your OS was right on it, though and you are responding to the antibiotics. That is all very positive.

Try to rest even more than you have been resting, your body is working hard to heal, plus fight an infection. I hope you continue to heal and can enjoy the weekend.

Hang in there, hipster friend. Hopefully just a minor bump in the unique recovery road for each of us. Agree with @CricketHip. Sounds like your OS has a handle on it. Monitor it but try not to worry too much. If there was ever an excuse to be kind and gentle with yourself, this is it! Rest and do all the things you can to let yourself have a healing respite. Sending positive, healing vibes your way. Keep us posted. :) :-) (:

Skin redness has subsided a lot, looks like antibiotics are taking control :) Feel pretty positive I dodge a bullet. Hip mobility and joint are feeling good. Hopefully back to PT next week and catch up.

What are you attempting to accomplish with PT? to catch up to what?

The progress I had made before latest bump in the road. My therapist is very attentive as to what I can handle. I don’t want to back track on range of motion.

I’m no expert (apart from my THR seven weeks ago), but for me the Bonesmart approach of no PT has worked very well. I’m very happy with my range of movement so far, and I have no pain.
Just a thought...

I’m glad that has worked for you. Odd that the vast majority of Ortho surgeons recommend PT after hip replacement.

My OS sends PT and OT to the home according to the pre-op papers. I think at first it may be to make sure you can function well in your home environment. It sounds like you trust your PT. Glad you are doing well enough to continue PT.

I will continue Wednesday of next week only then I believe 2 days the following week. I do trust my PT, very conscientious. We all heal at a different pace, I stand by if it hurts or feels uncomfortable don’t do it. Other than the skin flare up I’ve been blessed to heal quickly. No narcotics after week 1, using cane day 9, and driving in 2 weeks which my OS said I would be. I know from experience it only takes an episode here or there to come upon a bump in the road. We all want this phase to go by quickly but no guarantees.

What the medical profession recommends or prescribes in the US is mostly dicatated by profits and what the health insurance will pay for. And a lot of it is based on checking boxes to get people to return to work. If you can find any theory substantiating exercising and working damaged muscles it would be interesting. If you read this forum and studies done on THR recovery you'll find no PT works better. But there is no profit or documentation in just walking.

Eman, the same could be said for having surgery in the first place. Should I tell my OS and PT they don’t have my recovery interest as a priority but are only concerned about profits! I am 67 and retired so Medicare and my supplement have no interest in getting me back to work. I have known my PT for a couple years and guarantee he has as a priority my healthy recovery.

Good morning @Noel310.
I am glad to hear that your PT is a trusted part of your recovery team. I think members are just concerned and are trying to make sure you realize that you can say no if it gets painful or if you feel pushed too strenuously. Nobody but you can honestly tell if it's painful or too much. That being said, with our recovering hips we don't usually feel it during the activity, it's later in the day that we realize that we overdid it.
Glad to see your update that the cellulitis is showing improvement. That has to be a big relief! I think you did indeed dodge a bullet!
Wishing you a good week and things continue to improve. :)

The bottom line imo is do what you feel is best for you. I have not told people on here who are doing no PT that they need to change course. People I know first hand in my local who have had THP have said be sure to do the PT as it was beneficial. It’s your hip and your recovery. I did the pre op PT and have no doubt it has aided my quick recovery after surgery.

Noel,

You do sound like a man :)

I am, as well, but have learned a lot from listening well to the moderators on this site.

Based on my two THRs, and thousands of threads on this and other sites, early PT tends to create a lot of unnecessary issues. The breakdown seemingly occurs between the OS expectations for PT, and what actually happens. If, in your case, you got a PT person who is calmly increasing your movements, then great!

Please be careful.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks