TKR One Year Post Surgery

Great post @Sara61
Sounds like ‘normal service is resuming’. So pleased for you. I am very much at the same stage & feel pleased I had the op done.. it certainly wasn’t half as bad as I thought it would be.

Take care & keep up the good work... love Chrissie xx

Yes, I am noticing a clunk with every step sometimes or just sometimes rocking my ankle up and down at points. Like lift foot up (as in taking a step) clunk as foot goes down, or the other way around. Not sure but a clunk but it does not happen all the time? It is preferable to the grinding! Hah.
...My friendly reminder the "CLICK" is still with me but I now think of it as a reminder of a better life ahead and when I really concentrate I've finally learnt to ignore it- one day hopefully it will be a click of the past if not hey ho... a small price to pay for a pain free knee.

@LD of Michigan somedays are better than others, I have now noticed as my walk has improved I no longer notice the click however it's still very much there with swinging knee side to side and lifting knee it in the air ( not that its something I need to or try to do too often) my pt says with time and muscle improvements it will fade but he doubts it will disappear entirely as you said it's better than the grinding :rotfl:

Yeah it's sort of a 'hingy' feeling. Like if my leg is lifted up the bottom half under the knee drops down into a new position on its own weight followed by a slight inner clunk when the whole leg is placed down again -- in some cases. LOL! My doc said normal. And it is less at times, and for sure less over the last two weeks.

Ah the joys of being somewhat bionic... :tada:...

Last edited:
So glad to hear that your progress is good and heading for more good!

This will be my first day post TKR going out in the snow (we got about five inches), driving and walking in it. Not going far. Just to PT, grocery shopping and that's it.

@Tykey in the Algarve it never snows - pretty chilly icy wind today with clear blue skies but thankfully no snow :) :-) (:
Hope all is ok with you and both knees behaving. I'm going to UK for 1 week at the end of February so should be interesting at the airport - thankfully Bournemouth airport is small :)
My knee is doing fine - now able pretty much to do everything I did prior minus the limp & pre-op arthritic pain - admittedly I haven't even attempted to run or kneel down yet- neither I particularly miss or have the need to do.

:groan:well after being totally inspired by @Tykey and all his handyman stuff today I decided it was time to get off my posterior and do something I've been meaning to in a long time namely preparing my 16 glass window frames in my French doors so that I can sand down and then repaint them to a glossy white....well it took me nearly 3 hours to just tape the windows by which time I had thoroughly joined the ODIC..:hairpulling: tonight mrs knee needs plenty of ice and a whole bunch of tlc...
Tykey if you still have any energy left and you've finished your bathroom you are more than welcome to come and finish the job for me ha ha.
Tomorrow God willing ...Sanding will be easier :) might have to do it in shorter intervals with a few elevating breaks in between.

Well done Sara, as Mr Punch would say in his squeeky voice. "That's the way to do it!". Plus my motto, if you can't fix it with a hammer, buy a new one

I hate sanding, and I hate painting window frames! Plastic frames are much easier!

If I have to sand, I always consider using liquid sander.

PS Do my overseas friends know who Mr Punch is?

@Tykey what is a liquid sander ..sounds much easier tha trying to sand in between tiny grooves.. knee much happier this am - the iberbrufen did it's magic last night :)

@Tykey thanks that will make my life easier... will enquire at the hardware store today xx

Those of us of a certain age in the U.S. know Mr. Punch, I think. I think he’d be a disaster in @Sara61’s window renovation project!

Good luck on the sanding today. It sounds like a good opportunity to pace yourself!

Yes! we of a certain age do remember Mr. Punch!!

Great job @Sara61! Sanding!??? :shrug: You are far more industrious than I. I'll stick to my little yarn balls and flying needles (see my thread) Even my knitting needles gave my knee an unexpected workout!!

Well this is certainly the most rocky rollercoaster ride I have ever been on, unfortunately after a routine check up visit to the assisting surgeon I'm now back with my leg up resting /icing and medicating unfortunately he had a group of juniors learning and whether he was showing off his skills he pushed, pulled and bent the knee :yikes: and after the look of sheer horror on my face he relented asking if it hurt...Well I certainly let him know what I thought and have since complained to the partner surgeon as my knee is swollen and I am now unable to place much pressure on it.... been told to take it easy, no exercising and to elevate & ice for the next week or so.....not a happy bunny as I was doing so well :sigh:

Just a quick query in regards to traveling..I'm off to the UK for a week's visit end of February ( not really a holiday more dutybound) so will I be ok carrying a 10kg rucksack or best to take a small wheelie suitcase on board.
Its a small local airport so walking distances aren't far - keep reading we shouldn' lift stuff, but either way I will need to carry up the plane steps.:unsure::chinstroke:also would I have to show my knee at security or can I just tell them was hoping to travel in jeans but if I have to flash a bit of skin then will wear a tracksuit...

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GordieO