TKR One Year Post Surgery

A really silly question and hopefully I'm not having a "duh" moment but out of curiosity how do the titles under our names come about ie... Senior, Big cheese, Graduate, etc
Just curious ha ha

The titles are all related to the number of posts you've made.

Ah ok - Thanks for explaining x
Can you give me any advice on my previous post please as I'm differing about whether I should or shouldn't...

I’m anxious to hear the answer to your question about cutting nighttime pain meds. Seems like sleep is good.

@Helizabug lol it's after midnight here so as received no reply to my query - I'm going to go "cold turkey" and be brave - :alarm:will update you either in the morning or in a few hours ha ha

Well here I am wide awake :tiredwheel: at 04.55am just woke up all sweaty and feel like I'd been in a round with "Mike Tyson"- had weird,weird dreams I wonder is this the side effects of coming off all painkillers ...Had hoped someone with past experience could advise me prior to going to sleep but I suppose only my surgeon/doctor can - amazingly no pain coming from my knee but rest of me is a bit shaky ....:zzz:
I have been gradually stopping painkillers was not taking any during the day and last night I differed about stopping the bedtime one ( Iberbrufen 400g)
Anyone else felt this after stopping night time medication? Is this the correct way to stop as I have no immediate pain ?
Sorry so many questions...

I suspect you have just had a bad night, and nothing really to do with medication. Coming off ibuprofen isnt normally an issue. Id never really thought of ibuprofen as a pain killer in the long term. Id be taking paracetamol only if I had any pain at your stage, I found it far more effective.
You do get some weird side effects which dont make sense when we change drugs (except with opiates, such as your skuderex which you were taking.) I'm still nearly always awake for an hour or two, starting bang on 3am.

Stick with it, and (normal message) Stop Analysing and go with the flow.

Anyway, 4.55 is the best time to get in the kitchen and do something useful, like getting some jam roly poly in the oven for breakfast!

@Tykey what would I do without you giving me a good virtual "kick in the derrier" lol now looking back in the light of the day and having slept from 5:30am to almost 8:30am I'm full of "beans" and bright eyed & bushy tailed lol and with no pain whatsoever so fingers crossed.
Too cold to be cooking at 5am haha ...
Busy planning and getting hiking gear ready for our trip to our lodge in the mountain in the North of Portugal for Xmas & New Year, we'll probably have a full house for NY so that will be fun x
Keep in touch and keep me in line please xx

Reading back over my past threads having taken a slow approach as recommended by BS and with the gentle approach of my Physiotherapist, now at 8 weeks post op my life is suddenly so much better.
I'm no longer taking continuous pain medication (night or day)I do not have pain, ( get the odd niggle if I stand too long in one place) the scar is sensitive to certain fabrics, (now wearing normal pre-op clothing & shoes/boots ) I do get the tight feeling especially if I overdo my daily activities( but this is normal and can take up to 1year) but I'm now without thinking walking up & down flights of stairs without the one on one approach ( occasionally I, might hesitate if the flight of stairs is steep) but generally I don't think about it, driving (manuel car ) and getting in & out with no issues and doing my daily every day stuff, like cleaning/cooking etc etc.
My biggest difference from pre-op and post op, I noticed yesterday evening we went out with friends to the movies (saw the Joker ) in the past I struggled to get up those stairs to the seats and worse after watching any film getting back down was a nightmare, I usually waited until theater almost empty but yesterday it was a piece of cake with no pain, the stiffness was minimal even our good friends commented how different I was, instead of opting to take the lift to the main entrance I walked up the 3 flights of stairs - I was flabbergasted :wow:ì
I don't want to appear boasting this is not my intention but hoping for the new Bonesmarties following my posts that if it is taken SLOWLY with no harsh PT, regular icing loads of TLC it is possible to get there with a great outcome ( there is no race or competition each and everyone of us is different) so keep those chins up think positively and I know you will all eventually be saying the same things.
I still have the annoying click but hey ho :whistle: one can't be 100 percent perfect, if it eventually goes great, if not it will be a cool reminder of how much better I am now, as opposed to 4-5 months ago.
I'm really thankful that I had a good BS friend Mr. @Tykey to give me the frequent reality checks (virtual kicks in the posterior) his many posts have kept me sane throughout the last 8 weeks .
I will pop by occasionally to update my post and will always be available for anyone needing virtual hugs /reality checks or virtual kicks in the bums ha ha.
I feel I have made many friends some close @Izabel whom I yet to have a coffee with :) some not so far @Tykey & @Hoppy Nanny and some even across the wide Ocean (@Carole4815 @Macknit and all the rest of you you all know who you are plus all the moderators and all the administrators ) in this virtual place and I thank you all. :thankyou:
Love to all Sarah xx

Last edited:
That’s is a fabulous update @Sara61
So pleased for you that life is gradually getting back to an even better normal :yahoo:

You are so right in what you say... the BS way is so the best! Slow & steady... so glad that I’ve been able to share our progress together & Im very much at the same stage... after 7 weeks post op.
Keep on enjoying your progress ... luv & hugs Chrissie xx

I'm absolutely delighted to see you are now reaping the rewards and regaining the fun in life, just by doing the right things. The recovery might now slow down, but happens all the same. Its the 80/20 rule
Isn't the Bonesmart method brilliant, as are the members here?
Keep in touch♥️, but I'm always available to give you a gentle kick if needed

I love your update!!! :martini: It's so refreshing to hear your smile, joy and peace in words! It is in our attitudes that we find the success! I'm stunned at how quickly weeks 8-12 improved for me! I still have hamstring/IT band issues when walking any distances, but thanks to BS I don't worry and think it is a forever issue! I just work on a gentle stretches and massage....still icing and elevating daily or even more if needed!!!

Blessings on your continued journey! Who knows??? One of us may cross the pond and get in touch some day!

What a great update, I'm further out from you and not doing quite so well, but I am SO happy for you and it kind of gives me hope that maybe someday I'll be "normal" again!

After another pain free day ( took no medication) ( not holding my breath) my dilemma is... do I take a Iberbrufen 400g or a paracetamol 1000g at bedtime ? I must admit I did take 1 Iberbrufen 400g last night at midnight just to be on the safe side as I didn't fancy waking up in the middle of the night with a pain ( big wimp.. that I am) or do I just be brave and not take anything tonight ?
Or should I take a painkiller ( either paracetamol or Iberbrufen) and ensure myself a good night's sleep? .. any suggestions please xx
First, I think it's about time you stopped taking the Ibuprofen. It is an NSAID (a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory). Strictly speaking, it's not a pain killer. The reason pain decreases when you take it is because it's reducing inflammation, which causes pain. At almost 8 weeks post-op, you shouldn't still have much inflammation.

Like most NSAIDs, Ibuprofen has some nasty side-effects, such as increasing a tendency to bleed, particularly in the stomach. It has also been shown to increase your likelihood of getting heart disease.
NSAIDs Diclofenac. ibuprofen increase risk of heart problems: new study

I don't think there's any harm in taking Paracetamol 1,000 mg when you go to bed. In fact, it's probably a good idea.

@Celle Thank you for clarification- infact since that post I have stopped all medication day & night and so far haven't had the need to take anything as I have had no pain.
I only took Iberbrufen on a couple of occasions in week 7 only (not before) as my doctor had prescribed it but on the days I took it, I took a Omprazole ( a tummy protector).
Realistically I know at some stage there will be pain and I will just take a paracetamol if I need it.

Thanks for the very interesting article - I took Voltare 50g. quite frequently prior to the surgery again prescribed by my family doctor so an alarming article not sure I will ever use it again after reading that.

Trouble is the doctors after surgery don't really explain pain medication at all ( and from what I can gather from a few others currently posting) they too are seem to be in the same position so it's hard to know when is the right time to stop and the correct way of stopping too.

Last edited:
Since Tuesday it's been pretty much go go go, tonight my knee is screaming no,no,NO :hissy: why do I want to run before I can walk even my PT tells me to slow down trouble is I'm hopeless at listening ...lol maybe now I will think twice before spending 3 hours in a shopping mall :hairpulling: silly woman that I am ha ha. (Sadly I only came home with groceries)
I also think that as feeling around the knee is getting back to normal (ish) and as I am off all regular pain medication I get some real weird pains and aches, hopefully this is the norm - I'm so looking forward to the morning I can actually wake up without thinking about Mrs. Knee or fretting about straightening or bending it ...I know I'll get there eventually.

Saw my surgeon last Wednesday 3d X-ray showed no problems at all so unfortunately my "dear click " is here to stay, hopefully with time and PT I can strengthen the muscles around it and god willing it will disappear over time...:praying:

Not over analysing....But have any of you felt what appears to be a feeling at top of the knee like someone every now and then hits you with a hammer its just momentarily....But it jolly well takes my breath away....

Wishing all my Bonesmarties friend a wonderful weekend
Sending virtual hugs xx

Last edited:
I would hurt where the stem went in on the top and the bottom, too. Even now, after a really busy day, I can be sore in either or both areas. But, it's nothing like it used to be. You'll feel different pains here and there all through this recovery. If it's severe, certainly call your doctor.

Sara, I'm exactly the same as you, there's always a point beyond which we suffer. Mine is standing still, usually while waiting bored whilst Mrs Tykey is shopping. All we can do is grin and bare it, until it doesn't happen, but then there will be another limit coming along. Such is life

Awoken to another day of horrible stiffness infact spent the night tossing n turning waking up several times to shift position stretched or un bent gets so stiff in either position that I feel it needs a good spray of WD40 just to ease it.
A lady on here recommends I drink plenty of water for the click unfortunately we all know the side effect of that haha - one way of getting more exercise I suppose. I haven't noticed any difference yet but willing to try anything, I sound like a orchestra as my right knee has decided to join in on the fun too (not)
:headbang:
My DH is still banished to the guest room but as we have a full house in our home in the North for Xmas we will have to share a bed again ... (yikes)

I also read that between 8-16 weeks the progress is slower I'm finding that hard as I feel stuck in a rut , having done so well in such a short amount of time, I want to do better but my knee really just limits what I can do and patience isn't my forte.
Off to PT today maybe that will brighten my mood ... although last week sessions I felt it in my hips- and I thought I was pretty fit prior but now having aches and pains in joints and muscles that I didn't know existed. haha :)

:groan:Over !

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom