TKR One Year Post Surgery

@Sara61 since I'm about 5 weeks ahead of you with my TKR, I can tell you I still have the "out-of-sorts" days, but they get fewer and farther between....yours will soon, I'm sure.

I haven't experienced the clicking and popping, but I've read that it is a frequent occurrence after this surgery. It may even settle down before your 12/4 (I mean 4/12) OS appointment. Did you get the brand name of your knee components? It may be our top of the line :what:

@Macknit this is what I've been given to carry around with me if I travel - think it's the list of components... from what I can see by Google it's a British Company may be Doc is confused lol
I'm sure my days will improve think I just need to be busy or something it will blow over lol xx

Attachments

• 20191026_113457-600x800.jpg
    20191026_113457-600x800.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 219
  • 20191026_113518-600x800.jpg
    20191026_113518-600x800.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Mine started popping again this weekend as well. I’m not sure what changed other than Saturday it dropped to 24 degrees and was foggy out. Maybe it’s the cold but it’s mildly annoying. Managed to do my exercises despite it but woke up this morning extra grumpy :skep:

Had a good physio session yesterday started with cpm machine for 10 minutes followed by a few leg lifts and then pedalling on a type of static bike but chair is in front so only legs move -managed 15 minutes about 5.5kms.:biking:
Thought that I would suffer this morning but felt really good even tightness was non existent so was a very happy bunny ..
I had a busy morning today I had another doctors appointment ( I suffer from Blespharospasms-stress related) so I receive twice yearly botox injections around both eyelids (very painful) and as my last appointment was cancelled due to knee surgery I was called in today. Anyway this afternoon I'm very much paying the price - Mrs. Knee is furious, she is screaming pain and is stiff as a door knob - pain meds not reacting at all so me thinks a very early night as cannot get comfy on the sofa at all, to top it off I'm beginning to look like a panda from eye injections :tantrum:
Just when one thinks I've nailed it ..
Hopefully tomorrow a better day :praying:

Oh dear... that sounds like one hell of a day! Do hope that your knee & eyes settle down.. I can’t stand anything eye related... urgghhh
Hoping today is a better day @Sarah61 xxx

Hi Chrissie
Bit better day today - thank goodness was beginning to totally regret having done this operation although not quite 100/ sure yet but too late to change my mind lol. Am lucky no sign of bruising around the eyes this time I did insist yesterday that the senior doctor did it as I couldn't face an intern practicing on me as in the past on several occasions I ended up looking like I had been in the ring with Mike Tyson.

How does everyone rest on the bed or sofa ? If I sit with leg straight after a few minutes I have difficulty bending it gets all tight, vice versa if I sit with knee bent then straightening is difficult so it's a no win situation- I seem to be moving position constantly.
I do find having it bent to the side most comfortable not sure this is recommended??
At night it's the same - I spend the night moving a pillow between my legs, I have tried elevating with pillows but then I get cramp...
how long does this go on for ?

My physio said in his opinion I'm fit to drive a manuel car as my Rom is sufficiently good and reflexes too, ( I'm 5 weeks post op) my daughter thinks I should wait and ask my surgeon on My next visit- but that is 19 days away ( thus being 8 weeks post op)
When is it the norm to drive again?

For the moment I would choose to drive the Smart as it is automatic - unfortunately my bmw is a wee bit close to the ground so entry/, exit would be hard also she is Manuel transmission.

Any feedback most welcome xx

I drove at 2 weeks, my car is a cross-over type car, not too low, automatic and pretty easy to get into.

But: I never did really take narcotics, so I was off them and it's my left leg, so it wasn't my drivin foot.

@Jamie I am now only taking 1 Skudexa at night and paracetamol twice during the day
Would this cause any problems for driving ?
I don't have any side effects.

@Sara61 I like the ID card you get...I see OS a week from tomorrow and I'm going to ask him about that! I found my component list attached to the hospital operating report...but a card would be handy! I waited until week 6 to drive, it was perfect timing for me and the last of my pain medications.

this is what I've been given to carry around with me if I travel - think it's the list of components... from what I can see by Google it's a British Company may be Doc is confused lol
Your implant is indeed from the USA. It is a Smith and Nephew GenesisII - a very fine knee for you. Wear it with pride!

How does everyone rest on the bed or sofa ? If I sit with leg straight after a few minutes I have difficulty bending it gets all tight, vice versa if I sit with knee bent then straightening is difficult so it's a no win situation- I seem to be moving position constantly.
I do find having it bent to the side most comfortable not sure this is recommended??
When you're in the early stages of recovery (and you will be in this "early" stage for at least 3-6 months, it's common to be a bit "restless" when you're trying to relax. Move if you need to. Any position that doesn't cause you discomfort is fine. Your new knee is strong and you won't hurt it. Any soft tissues that are still recovering and strengthening will let you know when it's time to seek a different position. All this is completely normal.

Usually surgeons will tell you 6 weeks to drive. Maybe a bit longer with a manual transmission. When you think you're ready, take your car to an empty parking lot and practice some "emergency" moves to stop quickly and shift gears. You'll know when you're ready if you give it a test.

I am now only taking 1 Skudexa at night and paracetamol twice during the day
Would this cause any problems for driving ?
The Skudexa is an NSAID and Paracetamol is acetiminophen. Neither of these will impair your driving. So drive carefully.....you won't be able to blame the medications! :rotfl: Seriously.....you should be fine to drive when you feel your knee is ready for any emergency that might come up. You've done really well and I'm proud of your progress.

Once again @Jamie your knowledge is invaluable and your replies greatly appreciated- I would be lost without you - Many Thanks xxx

@Macknit yes agree with you , the card is handy - it is so that when travelling there is no need to carry loads of papers with you - as it's my 1st knee operation - I assumed this was standard practice xx

Last edited:
@Sara61
Glad you haven’t got the eye bruising... not a good look!
I find one long pillow under the operated leg helps a lot to get comfy when laying on the bed or sofa ... even then that only lasts for a few hours then a change of position or a walk is needed to stretch out.. ...... getting there.

In bed at night I've had 2 pillows under the recent knee. One long way under the whole leg, and one short way under the calf and foot. Knee not bent, but not forced straight either.'Eased' is how I think of it. I just last night started kicking the pillow out in my sleep at 10 weeks out.
In the very early days I would have 2 pillows under my lower leg when I sat in my recliner too.

Almost week 6 post op - finally I'm (mostly) rid of the crutches i tend to forget them ha ha I walk slightly oddly, as I concentrate on trying not to limp ( old habits die hard ) my physiotherapist is mulling over a theory that my new joint may have extended my leg so on Thursday I'm being measured as he thinks my limping could be caused by this...
Well if it is... on my next visit to the surgeon he will get a rollicking, the clicking I can ( & have to) live with but I will be livid if I'm stuck with a limp too- has anyone else had this ?

Been given finally the All clear to drive but typical ...the Automatic car has just broken down and the earliest the mechanics can fit it in is beginning of December aarrgh!!

Other than the above I'm fine.. still have the tight band feeling around knee and if I lay with leg stretched for too long then bending is awkward also still slightly numb on parts of the joint but now know this can take up to a year to fully right itself so I no longer worry - the incision has healed well to & I've managed to reduce my pain meds so all in all so far so good x

:driver::driver::yes!: I can drive my bmw soft top yesterday the physiotherapist taught me how to get in and out and after my PT session I tried it several times and it was really easy - if only the weather approves ( finally we have the much needed rain ) I will take my first independent outing in 6 weeks :) however I want to be fully sure I'm completely road safe and able to stop in a emergency I may just practice on short countryside trips to start with once the weather improves :)
My walk has suddenly improved and limp has almost disappeared and I am almost 90 percent crutch /walking aid free- so he has decided against the measuring of the length of the knee, all it would do most likely is just upset me.
Been told now not to bother exercising at home as daily activities are now sufficient and I will continue going to PT twice weekly for a couple of months.
As normal I still get swelling and the tight band feeling but have noticed that mornings most of
the swelling has gone, depending on level of activities and movement it usually returns late afternoon/night but still icing regularly ( well trying to at least ...)
Pain medication wise still take tramadol at 11pm at night and and during the day paracetamol at 12 noon, if I have more pain I will take more as necessary but so far noticed I can manage with the two pills- did try Omprazole ( tummy protection) But it left me with an over dry mouth so have discontinued taking it.
Fingers crossed weather improves and I can go out alone :driver:
Those of you reading my posts for the 1st time as you can see it does slowly get better, try and keep a positive attitude, enjoy being spoilt by your family and friends enjoy the resting period as only too soon you will be back to your normal routine and eventually pain free, keep reading and participating on BS as it is really helpful and therapeutic it's Thanks to many that I have endured this journey so far also the moderators are a gold mine of good advice and the nurses a godsend when we are clueless regarding of what and when to take.
Wishing everyone a good weekend xx

Last edited:
Hi Sara, I see you are prompting me to pop in, so I have

I'm now summat like 14 weeks out, and life is back to normal, no pain, just a bit of stiffness which I ignore. I caught myself kneeling the other day (on something soft) and didn't realise. It's all now part of history to me, I rarely think about nor mention it.
Now you are driving, walking properly and chucking your crutches away, you'll find everything getting easier, with the knee getting looser. You'll soon be in and out of your car like a rat up a drainpipe. The rest of your body will get tired, And so you will need to be patient as your fitness returns.
It's only an issue is you bother to think about it!
I gave up on formal meds about 10 weeks ago, but I had to stop taking my own super-dooper meds a couple of weeks ago, when I rejoined Slimming World. So sadly jam roly poly, spotted dick and bread and butter pudding have disappeared, at least for a while.

Finally, I can disclose my ROM!!

So here we go.......… I've never measured it, but its Enough!!!!

So stick with it

And my best wishes to one and all!

PS alpaca walk was cancelled yesterday, due to thick fog in "Them thar hills"

Last edited:
Great news @Sara61!! I had my 3 month check-in yesterday with OS...he was so supportive and positive I almost forgot to ask my whiny questions :eyebrows:!!!

Since we get so much snow and my workplace parking is on a hillside, I was able to extend my disabled sticker to May....at least I know I won't be falling and sliding on ice at work...now if I can just avoid it at home!

I hope your driving has begun, or will soon, and that all goes well!
Happy weekend!

Hey good to have you pop by Mr.@tykey so glad you are doing so well and normality has returned to your life - good on ya regarding the diet - I know it's so hard to give up tasty puddings especially in the colder winter months as what you enjoy food wise is more often than not for comfort lol.
Funnily I tried kneeling today ( on the sofa - didn't feel too bad but haven't attempted to try the floor yet.
My outing :driver: was successful had no problem with the clutch and getting in and out was fairly easy I need to make sure I'm not too closely parked beside another vehicle as I need space to pull myself out as the seat is extremely low. I have already organised to meet up with some friends for coffee next week ( freedom yea) at 6 weeks not too bad- of course Mrs Knee has given me a sharp reminder that I mustn't run before I can walk...a paracetamol will soon sort her out haha. Such a shame about the Alpaca walk was so.looking forward to the photos but readily agree in ain't good wondering in the hills in the fog.

@Macknit trouble with our visits to the surgeon we get caught up with their enthusiasm I always come away thinking why I hadn't asked x, y, & z maybe I should write it down but knowing my brain I would forget the paper haha I'm so happy for you that all went well.
That's good about the disabled sticker here they won't issue them only if it's long term disability then the process is so beurocractic it's crazy. As I mentioned before you are so brave just the thought of having to deal with snow or ice is scary how is your knee behaving at work fortunately I don't have to return back to work until mid January and then it's only part-time so hopefully by then this will be a thing of the past.
I finally managed to drive my car today so finally can get out and about as and when I want have already booked a girly morning next week and aim to go to the hairdresser as I'm looking a bit scary ha ha x
Likewise wishing you a brill weekend - Hugs Sarah

That's good about the disabled sticker here they won't issue them only if it's long term disability
When I asked about this before surgery my surgeon’s office said I didn’t qualify for one. The main reason it would have been nice would have been to be in a space wide enough to open the car door all the way. There were times my husband had to back out of the space so I could do that to get in. It was a very long time before I didn’t need the door open all the way.

@Jockette totally agree with you - today I had to park away from the other cars so that I had space to open my door wide enough fortunately I was lucky as it wasn't too far from the store but It would be nice if we could just use the disabled parking spaces occasionally.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back