TKR One Year Post Surgery

I'm sure it'll be ups and downs during the work week, but I'm OK about that as long as I get my gel packs at work! :heehee:

Last edited by a moderator:
@Macknit Yes taking pain meds just help me move, however am thinking of taking myself off the tramadol at some stage so was wondering what exactly do you take you mentioned Iberbrufen and acetaminophen
Is this paracetamol?
At the moment I'm taking Tramadol every 12 hours and paracetamol every 10 hours alternating between the two however if I could find something equally as good I would probably prefer to come off tramadol as I'm not sure I will be allowed to drive whilst taking this.
Likewise have a good weekend and all the best for next week hope your working days isn't to stressful or to tiring on your knee xxx
Sara, please don't ask other members about what medications they are taking. We don't permit members to give medical advice to other members here on BoneSmart. But it is okay to ask any of the staff members for options with your pain medications.

You can see from your recent outing that your knee is still very much in a healing state. You are letting yourself think that you're somehow behind in your recovery when you are instead perfectly normal. I suggest you go back up to the beginning of your recovery thread and re-read the articles that were left for you. Pay particular attention to the time frames for recovery. You still have healing going on at just over 3 weeks out from this very major surgery.

The dosages of Tramadol you are taking are on the low end if you are just taking one every 12 hours each day. I don't recommend that you try adding in an NSAID as that class of medication is not all that great of a pain reliever and it can inhibit bone repair when taken early in the recovery process. I know some surgeons do prescribe it for their patients, but we prefer to take a more conservative approach and tell our BoneSmarties to wait a while before taking any NSAIDs or at least discuss it with your surgeon first.

If your current regimen for pain meds is working, stay with it for a while....like for another month if you need to. That's still very normal. As for driving while taking Tramadol, you'll have to see how it affects you. Some people are able to function just fine on it; it puts others to sleep and they shouldn't drive while using it. But, on the days you need to drive, just up your paracetamol to 1000mg every 4-6 hours and don't take the Tramadol during the day. Use it at night after you get home. As long as you're not taking more than 4,000mg of the acetaminophen in a 24 hour period, you can stay on it for pain relief as long as you need to.

But I honestly think right now you just need to stay with what works and try hard to be patient as you allow your body to heal.

@Jamie - my apologies. I wasn't aware of this rule - but can fully understand . Prior to my operation I have never needed to take any form of medication ( Thankfully) so I am a bit clueless in that respect and not quite sure what the different is between paracetamol and iberbrufen- thank you for explaining.
I will follow your advice and continue with what I am taking at present, as I am pain free.
I will also try to teach myself not to "run before I can walk" trouble is I'm very independent and not good at being a patient at all.
I'm not even sure I will be given permission to drive anytime soon so again I will try and stop forward guessing and take each day of this recovery as it comes.
Many Thanks once again for you help it is much appreciated xx

@Jamie just one other query this morning I've noticed more feeling around the scar area, infact it feels very tight and I feel the scar pulling when I bend or walk, plus the back of my knee also feels tight - the compression stocking felt uncomfortable today to - this is a first as I have been wearing them for 3 weeks ( day time) with no problems Also tonight the sheets on my bed are slightly irritating- I haven't noticed this before should I be concerned.
It isn't red but is warm to touch
I have started putting cream (E45) on my legs and around the scar - haven't had the courage yet to touch or cream the actual scar even thou staples have been removed over a week ago.
There is a patch almost at the top where the knee bends on my left knee that feels still numb I assume this is normal too ?

I've noticed more feeling around the scar area, infact it feels very tight and I feel the scar pulling when I bend or walk, plus the back of my knee also feels tight
This is very normal, your soft tissues have been tampered with and they are upset. There’s swelling also (sometimes you can’t see it but you feel it) and it’s going to take a while to settle down and heal.

Also tonight the sheets on my bed are slightly irritating- I haven't noticed this before should I be concerned.
This is normal and very annoying.

There is a patch almost at the top where the knee bends on my left knee that feels still numb I assume this is normal too ?
This is very normal, also, and will probably last a long time. I still have a small spot that is slightly numb and I’m 2.5 years post op!

Jockette is correct on all counts! Everything you've mentioned is totally typical of a normal recovery.

I am a bit clueless in that respect and not quite sure what the different is between paracetamol and iberbrufen
NSAIDs like ibuprofen (also motrin, celebrex, Advil, Aleve) are anti-inflammants. They are pretty good at their job and, if pain is due to inflammation (like a pulled muscle), they can relieve pain. But they also have a potential side effect that could result in stomach problems for you. Since this recovery may require you to take something for pain for several weeks, it's usually best not to risk the stomach problems when there are other medications to use. Plus, there is that potential for hampering bone growth early on in recovery.

Tylenol (acetaminophen or paracetomol) works different and is specifically designed to relieve pain. It is the better choice and is especially good when combined with Tramadol, as you've found out. As a comparison, when I was taking Tramadol at the beginning of my recovery with my last knee, I needed one tablet every 4 hours to take care of my pain. After about three weeks I was able to start reducing it and begin adding Tylenol in between or instead of Tramadol doses. By about 6 weeks I was only needing Tylenol to sleep at night. I iced as much as possible too. Don't try to follow my schedule. Do what is working for you. But just know that you are really on a very modest dose of the Tramadol and it's important that you do whatever is needed to stay ahead of any pain.

I'm very independent and not good at being a patient at all.
Ha! I think this is true of most of us. Keep trying, though.....you may not become any more patient, but at least you'll find the time going by and that helps. Try to find things to keep you busy during the day that don't involve too much time away from home or long hours sitting with your leg down. Too much activity too early can actually delay your recovery a little or a lot (depending on how much you hurt afterwards) and you definitely don't want that!

I will try and stop forward guessing and take each day of this recovery as it comes.
This is perfect!!! You can do it!

It isn't red but is warm to touch
This is normal and actually a good thing. The warmth is your body healing.

I have started putting cream (E45) on my legs and around the scar - haven't had the courage yet to touch or cream the actual scar even thou staples have been removed over a week ago.
No creams or lotions directly on the scar until it is fully healed. Be sure there are no open areas before you use anything on the incision. Some people like the way a lotion makes them feel and that's fine. But actually your body can heal quite nicely without it.

Hang in there!!!

Thank you both so much Jamie & Jockette this really has put my mind at rest :thankyou:

@ tykey ....I know..... probably too much time on my hands and brain in overdrive lol
How is the holiday going ?? It looks lovely bet your doggies loving their walks on the beach x

Hi there @Sara61
I’ve found taking 2 paracetamol every 4 hours really keeps the pain under control....but I would take whatever it takes if you need it... it’s not wimpy... pain is not funny at all!!

So glad you are sleeping better that has to be a big plus... I can cope with most things if I’ve had a good nights sleep...

Hope you’ve had a good weekend..
Cheers Chrissie xx

A far more positive day today- decided I'm not going to overthink things too much and just go with the flow.
Managed a wee bit of gardening whist we had a brief spell of sun did my morning exercises and then added a few new flavours to the hot pot my husband cooked yesterday... as he was out golfing with his buddies...needless to say I got a rollicking at lunch as he thought I was criticising his cuisine ... I just added a few fresh chillies to give it a kick :snork:
Knee feeling less tight and not as sensitive now elevated with a bag of frozen petit-pois :ice:

Hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday xxx

Petit Pois? How posh and extravagant

Delighted you are just going to take things as they come, as they undoubtably do.

Good luck!

@Tykey lol Nothing but the best for girlie knees :tada: ha ha

My Petit-Pois already resembles a bag of mushy peas :rotfl:... from over usage ... however they still do the job nicely...

I love the petit pois! To eat that is...I'm afraid I'd open the bag and start munching....they are good cold too :heehee:

@Sara61 I get the brain on over-drive situation! My husband will just look at me and say, why? Why are you doing that? He also gets very agitated when I mess with anything he has cooked....it is hilarious after 42 years, how we can still push each other's buttons. Or maybe it's because it has been 42 years!???:what:

I got a chance to help rake leaves in our garden today....just felt so good to be moving...I'm in icing and elevating now, but it is so good to be out in the crisp sunshine and circulating my blood!

Happy Sunday!

As we have had very little rain in the last 2 years and desperately needed thought I might keep you all amused with what I consider a good rain dance just wish my knees were in such good shape maybe something to aim for ha ha

Did it rain? I laughed til I cried. Thanks, I needed that.

Just home from my 1 month post op appointment with my surgeon. He was happy with my progress Rom (120) & extension 0)

I can finally ditch the sexy white full length compression stockings :happydance:
Last night was the final tummy jab:egypdance:
( finally just as hubby had achieved injection perfection...well after 30 days.. he certainly had enough practice ha ha )

On querying the annoying click behind my knee apparently I'm just going to have to learn to live with it...Not sure if that is the norm or not apparently something to do with the new components...
I have to redo the xrays as he wasn't happy with the format of them he now want 3d full leg X-ray.

Am doing light physio twice a week, had my first knee massage (weird feeling ) thought he might open the scar but everything remained closed- I'm now to massage it twice daily with thick cream .. and been told to continue using the elbow crutch till I perfect my walk also at a later date I will learn to do the stairs normally but for time being one at a time.

I'm managing to cook /clean /make beds /hoover etc
But have been told to refrain from doing anything heavy.

Only after my next visit beginning of December will he decide whether I am fit to drive/work.
Till then I'm to continue to rest/ice/medicate/elevate and plenty of tlc.

After the appointment I still managed to go to the mall with my sister shopping lasted 60 minutes before decided I had, had enough (was away from home almost 4 hours in total) now sitting on sofa with a pack of ice and hopefully tomorrow I won't pay the price :praying:

For those of you just starting this journey you'll see from my 1st post to this one that it does get better but remember we all heal at different times so don't compare with others and you'll be fine.

Decided my 1st goal is to be able sit n drive my classic (27 year old,) bmw convertible (manuel stick ) which is low on the ground if I can achieve that I will be a happy bunny :) picture attached..

Attachments

• 20191106_154513-800x769.jpg
    20191106_154513-800x769.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 234

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Tallguy51
Recent bookmarks