TKR One Year Post Surgery

As informed by all you bonesmarties - removing the staples was a painless experience all 40 of them- I now have a few steri-strips in place and a new dressing but really please with the surgeons work the incision looks really neat and hopefully with time no-one will notice x
Got new prescription for Tramadol so am feeling relieved and happy.

Yay!! :loveshwr::yay:So glad to read that the staple removal was painless, and that your incision looks good. I have noticed that my scar is still getting smaller as time passes, so maybe yours will too.

I would have thought removing staples would be rather unpleasant. Nice to hear it went well. You really have a good attitude.

Tykey, Carole4815, Hoppy Nanny, Izabel - It's Thanks to you all that I am doing as well as I am - you have all soothed my concerns, listened to my grumblings and generally boosted my moral, following your successes has shown me that it is only a matter of time and positivity for us to heal completely and I'm only 2 weeks post op :)

@Sara61 , I've removed all the tags from the start of your post, above. Tags are for calling someone to your thread for a special purpose, not just to use amongst your friends in general conversation.

In addition, when you start a post with a list of tags, it is very hard for people reading on small devices to see your actual message, because the tags take up most of their screen.
Tagging other members and answering tags

Celle my apologies wasn't sure how this worked x

I assume it's normal for my knee to hurt more this evening I did quite a lot of walking this morning and after the removal of the staples the skin feels quite tender, Im almost afraid to move it in case they split open ( I'm sure they won't) but nevertheless it feels very strange. I was glad to get my compression stockings off tonight - Another hour to go and I can take a tramadol and hopefully get a decent nights sleep- Tomorrow a quiet day planned with lots of rest.

I assume it's normal for my knee to hurt more this evening I did quite a lot of walking this morning and after the removal of the staples the skin feels quite tender, I'm almost afraid to move it in case they split open ( I'm sure they won't) but nevertheless it feels very strange.
Your knees are more painful because you did a bit too much walking than they were ready for. Give them an easier day tomorrow, so they settle down again.

I remember feeling as if my wound would open up again after I'd had the clips removed from my appendix incision. But your wound won't open up again, because below that top skin layer it has been stitched together in several layers. Closing surgical wounds: how is it done?

Thank you Celle that article is very reassuring xx
Feels a bit better this morning I iced several times during the night. Today I plan a very quiet lazy day.
My husband has had to go away on business for two days so it's just me & the dogs so no schedules :)

I wondered about that sara once the staples came out.... never thought about it with hips because you can’t see the scar!

Hope your knee settles down with rest.... enjoy some down time with your doggies xxx

I've just been reading a study about joints hurting more during damp weather. Not really specific to hips and knees, more to arthritic joints. Yes they do!
Mine is a bit more sore today, and it's been a horrible wet day.

Yes I always noted that my knee played up a few days before bad weather it will be interesting to see if its the case with the new one...
Strange sort of day very relaxed but my knee has been niggerly not full blown pain but enought to remind me it's not very happy been hard to find a comfortable position to sit /lie .
It feels like the new plaster is a wee bit tight so the knee bend isn't flexible- on Saturday hopefully they will sort this out .. @Celle how long do we wear plasters after the stitches are removed ?
Is it possible to wear normal trousers ( in american "pants" ) is the scar very sensitive ?
How soon after can we take normal showers without wrapping the knee in cling film or plastic bags ?
Hopefully tomorrow a better day - I have a couple of girlfriends coming over to cook for me tomorrow night for dinner which will be nice at least it will be fun and good for me to have a bit of company and normal conversation :)

Last edited:
In this side of the pond, when the staples (or stitches) are out, the scar is left open to the air. Personally, I came home and had a nice hot shower, including that knee. The nurse approved that.
I know that some people don't advocate that, but I've never had a problem with any of my several scars.
I was wearing shorts some of the time, because the weather was warm. But lightweight trousers (pants) were ok, although the scar was tender and the stubble itchy. I was marinading in skin cream at the time which helped.

I will let you know after Saturday whether it is left uncovered hopefully it's not too sensitive as a tad cold for shorts or skirts although as I won't be working until next year I can probably use baggy tracksuit bottoms around the house although I'm hoping at some stage to get back into my jeans :prayer:

Day 16 After a reasonably good day and friends round for supper was hoping I would get a good night's sleep....ha ha my knee has other intentions:hissy: and just won't get comfy in any position :-( currently lying on my back with an ice pack on it although in no great pain it just feels stiff also I think the plaster they put on it on Wednesday is too tight I can't seem to bend my knee normally and it pulls the skin. @Jockette My tummy is looking like its been in a round with "Mike Tyson " black and blue - why I'm still having to have the daily injections of lovenox ( 28 days in total - still 11 days to go) seems odd - I dread 7pm as it is now sore and tender either side of my belly button- does anyone else have similar problem?
Hoping tomorrow they remove steri-strips and the tight dressing I suppose that's a whole new ball game - probably stressing about nothing but how does the scar feel without the protection of the plaster- Any specific care needed ... hydrating cream and will it be very sensitive to clothing and if so how long ?

Looking forward to the clocks going back this weekend extra hour in bed and not so dark early mornings.

Hoping everyone is doing well xxx

Last edited:
My steri-strips just fell off by themselves a week or two after they were put on my incision. I have never put any cream on my incision, and it is still sensitive to anything touching it (although I am still wearing shorts since it is hot here).

@Carole4815 wish it was warm enough for shorts here, my leg is too swollen to fit in my regular trousers so have bought a large tracksuit bottom and cut out inner lining as it prickly to the skin once I get mobile again I'll look at buying long dresses however I'm kinda a jeans type of girl :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562