TKR One Year Post Surgery

:wave: Sarah

Lovely speaking to you yesterday and look forward to meeting up.

Pleased the Tramadol is helping to ease things.

Take care, don't push yourself and have a peaceful day.

Sending love and hugs.

Petunias.gif Izzy xx

Good Day to you all :)

Day 7 Amazing what a change of painkillers and sleep can do...had a good day pain free and full of "beans" ( another word for happy)

I was feeling so well that I completely forgot to pick up my crutches and walked from bedroom to bathroom unaided then it dawned on me so I kinda panicked and hobbled back to bed no idea why as I walked perfectly well to begin with haha.

Tried using just 1 crutch and actually found it easier also means you can carry things in your hand as opposed to hanging out of your mouth .

Knee is behaving well - Still gently exercising and icing plus rest - thoroughly enjoying " Call The Midwife " on Netflix and also
Travels with my Father with Jack Whitehall. Kinda reminds me of my backpacking holiday last year to Thailand with my daughter - but we were definitely more chilled but had a brill once in a lifetime holiday- my husband got to stay home alone "dog sitting"

Anyone with good books or series etc to recommend the days here are cooler so plenty of time on my hands x

Fingers and toes crossed tomorrow is like today :)

Hugs to all xx

What a great post, forgetting your crutch is a huge indication that things are improving, and should now accelerate. Keep going
My choice of books is odd, that will be no surprise to you knowing my sense of humour.
If you want one strangely English, try Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy.

Anyone with good books or series etc to recommend the days here are cooler so plenty of time on my hands x

If you haven't read them, the Terry Pratchett Discworld books are great, funny, but really enjoyable reads. There is also quite a few, they kept me busy for months and I was sad when I finally ran out of them.

What a good report. I’m glad that you’re doing much better. Forgetting your crutch is a sign that it won’t be long before you won’t need them at all.

had a good day pain free and full of "beans"
Well that phrase just put a big smile on my face, so thank you for that. My grandfather used to use that phrase, and I haven't heard it in a long time.

I'm glad you're getting the pain under control and are 'full of beans' and having a better outlook on life. I have found that enough sleep is usually the most important determiner between a good day and a bad day.

I am currently making my way through Downton Abbey, which I did not watch when it was first out. I've really been enjoying that. On bad days when I want fluff I really enjoy Corner Gas, which is very light and funny.

Netflix: “River.” You even get to sing along with “I Love to Love (But My Baby Just Loves to Dance).”

I think the movie version of Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” is here as well.

@Jamie Hi Jamie as you know I have changed my medications just want to ask your opinion whether I'm taking to much ..
The pills containing tramadol is called Skudexa which is Cloridrato de Tramadol 75mg e 25mg dexcetoprofeno
Plus I been told to take 1000mg of paracetamol.
Example this is yesterday...

17/10
Paracetamol at 01:30am
Tramadol at 06:00 am
Paracetamol at 09:30am
Tramadol at 2:15pm
Paracetamol @ 17:34pm
Tramadol @ 22.35 pm

Today I cut out the afternoon paracetamol and will only take a tramadol at 23.00 pm ish to go to sleep.

I must admit I'm practically pain free which in turn is helping with all my day to day activities - I'm on day 9 and have managed to ditch 1 crutch .
Anyway would appreciate your input xx

Next week I'm due to get the staples removed looks about 40 of them (yikes) as I have never had staples before is this painful?

Not sure what to expect... @Tykey @Carole4815

Last edited:
At most the staples can sting a little as they are taken out but most of the area around your incision is probably still numb from the surgery.

Next week I'm due to get the staples removed looks about 40 of them (yikes) as I have never had staples before is this painful?

Not sure what to expect... @Tykey @Carole4815
For me, the staple removal didn't hurt at all. I know, I was told that too beforehand and didn't believe it, but it really didn't hurt. They use a specialized tool to do that. There's a picture of it and explanation of how it is done, in this bonesmart article (a little over halfway through the article): https://bonesmart.org/wound-care-at-home/

Last edited:
@Jamie Hi Jamie as you know I have changed my medications just want to ask your opinion whether I'm taking to much ..
The pills containing tramadol is called Skudexa which is Cloridrato de Tramadol 75mg e 25mg dexcetoprofeno
Plus I been told to take 1000mg of paracetamol.
Example this is yesterday...

17/10
Paracetamol at 01:30am
Tramadol at 06:00 am
Paracetamol at 09:30am
Tramadol at 2:15pm
Paracetamol @ 17:34pm
Tramadol @ 22.35 pm

Today I cut out the afternoon paracetamol and will only take a tramadol at 23.00 pm ish to go to sleep.

I must admit I'm practically pain free which in turn is helping with all my day to day activities - I'm on day 9 and have managed to ditch 1 crutch .
Anyway would appreciate your input xx
This sounds like a good medication plan. Skudexa is a medication containing both Tramadol and the NSAID dexcetoprofeno. It can be combined with Paracetamol (acetaminophen or Tylenol). Since you're only taking 3,000mg of the Paracetamol in 24 hours, that's well within the maximum of 4,000mg. Since you are taking an NSAID, be sure to watch for any signs of stomach upset or other digestive issues. NSAIDs can be hard on the stomach sometimes. But the 25mg is a very low dose for an NSAID, so you shouldn't have any problems, presuming you didn't have previous stomach issues.

I'm thrilled to hear this is working for you. In these early days it is so important to keep your pain levels under control so good healing can take place. Eventually you will be able to slowly transition to all Paracetomol. Just don't attempt it too soon.

Congratulations on this wonderful progress. I'm 10 days out and only now considering leaving the walker for a cane.

@Rather isn't it wonderful these small achievements :) Every day I notice im able to achieve something new - yesterday for the 1st time I was able to put on my compression stockings without any help and this morning I managed to swing my leg unaided onto the bed :)

Enjoy the weekend may it bring new capabilities daily xxxx

@ Jamie thanks for your input so wonderful having someone to advise.

Happy morning today was able to swing my leg onto the bed without help - it's the small daily achievements that make me happy:)

I’m reading your thread @Sara61 with an immense amount of hope.. Day 6 and you have made such improvements...

So, so pleased for you... to swing your leg on the bed.. amazing... mine is feeling like the proverbial ‘log’.

What a joy you can meet up with @Izabel... don’t tell her but she’s gorgeous ...Wish I could join you both ... :rotfl:

First night home & I slept from 10 -5am & then another hour... so not bad... I’m on paracetamol & codeine which is ok..

I use an Headspace App with soothing meditation & it helps get off to sleep & get back off...

Hope today is good for you hun... love Chrissie xx

@ Chrissie it was a tough start as you saw by my posts - in my opinion pain medication is the key - once I got that sorted there has been a daily improvements - of course I get the odd twinge but am being sensible I'm doing gentle exercises then ice after whilst relaxing on the sofa watching a film /series.
Have managed to do the odd job around the house- Carlos bless him is not the best "Molly maid" but at least he is bringing tasty food for me to enjoy - haven't quite got him cooking yet ....
Yes it was lovely talking to Izzy - wow and I think I have it hard poor Izzy has been thru the wars with so many surgeries. Once I'm driving again We have promised to meet up for coffee :)
By having my knee replaced so far I have made new friends firstly Eva at the hospital, now Izzy and all you lovely ladies / gentleman here on BoneSmart too.
I'm positive that you will get there too Chrissie enjoy the small accomplishments and get the right medication.
Keep in touch both in high & low moments xxxx

@Jamie roughly when do you think I should start reducing the Tramadol will my body give indication or is it by trial and error.
I'm not having any side effects but am concerned that it can't be doing my insides any good or is the dosage too minimal.

Thanks once again xx

Catching up with your journey and felt badly for you that you weren’t given the proper pain meds! So glad you are able to finally get your pain under control!
it sounds like you are improving daily!

@LindaO yes agree - today thought I could reduce the Tramadol but after a really painful day I think it's best I continue with my usual routine - just shows you how much they actually help.

Weather here has turned wet and chilly feeling it in my bones so early night for me under a warm duvet.

Fingers crossed I continue to improve
Happy Weekend everyone xxxx

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts