TKR One Year Post Surgery

Day 6 ( early hours it's only 01:28am )

Awake again ... trouble is I'm not sleeping or napping during the day( I do lie in bed and rest but don't fall into a peaceful sleep) so seriously considering asking for sleeping pills ( never needed before was fortunate always to have slept the entire night) but I have probably only had 1 full decent nights sleep since I was operated ..yesterday I was irritable/moody/weepy and out of sorts I have an appointment on Wednesday with surgeon so need to sort something otherwise I'll be a zombie haha
Vicious cycle as we need our sleep so we can be bright eyed and bushy tailed to exercise etc etc.

Side sleeping again .. would I have any problems in the morning straightening my leg as it's early days or is this just a myth ?

I think if I could just turn to my side I'd nod off straight away but fear prevents me from doing so....

Last edited:
Here are a couple of articles from our Recovery Guidelines that you might like to reread.

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

You also don’t need a lot of e exercises on Day 6. All you need are gentle movements and short walks.

It’s not exercising that gets our range of motion back, it’s Time:

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and in the early weeks does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.

@Jockette I'm following your guidelines my exercises being twice a day with 1 rep of 10 gentle knee lifts 10 gentle side swings and 10 back swings the rest of my activity is walking to kitchen / lounge /bathroom & bed

I think I'm just tired so it all seems a big deal

At this stage everything is a big deal. Your body is sending almost all it’s energy to heal your knee and there’s little left over for anything else. :console2:

@Jockette too true xx plus those pain meds are pretty inefficient I think I need something stronger as pain is always there another thing to sort with doctor ...lol
Here's hoping for my positive attitude to return - sorry for being a pain ( haha )

@Jamie hi is there any suggestions of a decent painkiller I can ask my doctor for as I'm getting no relief from the two prescribed I must have nodded off ( sheer exhaustion ) for 2 hours just woke with sever inner kneecap pain ( taken a paracetamol, ) now really hard to walk with crutches seem to be going backwards .....help :-(

Side sleeping again .. would I have any problems in the morning straightening my leg as it's early days or is this just a myth ?

I think if I could just turn to my side I'd nod off straight away but fear prevents me from doing so....
I never heard of that before! I have no idea.

In my case, I didn't want to sleep on my side during the early days because I was afraid it would hurt a lot. Also for some reason I didn't know how to easily get onto and off of my bed during those early days (couldn't lift my right leg). So, I just slept in my recliner which meant I had to sleep on my back.

I agree that you need something stronger for pain. I suggest you ask for Tramadol. That is the lowest level of prescription pain meds (a synthetic opioid and not an actual one) and most doctors will give it if needed. You might have to go to your GP rather than your surgeon. You can take it with the paracetamol and the two work quite well together when taken on a set schedule day and night.

You might also ask about some Oromorph. It's used sometimes for breakthrough pain and can be taken at night to help with sleep. I don't know if your doctors will prescribe it, but it's worth a try.

Be sure you are also icing as much as possible. It also works for pain.

The other thing is for you try and relax (some good pain medication will help with this). Your knee is fine and you're going to get through this recovery and come out smiling on the other side. Stop worrying about sleep and just nod off when you can....no matter what time of day or night. Your body will sleep when it's ready. It's one of the things you cannot force.

You could ask for some sleep medication, but I feel like getting your pain under control will help just as much and you won't have to add another drug. Good luck with the doctors!

Good Morning Birdie.jpeg Sarah

I have been reading your progress. We were in different hospitals within in the same group but there appear to be considerable differences. It was always silent between midnight and 6am (when medications end and begin). I got to choose my meals as they came around with a menu daily ... I certainly couldn't cope with the soup twice a day (typical Portuguese in my opinion) but always asked what the daily was as the pumpkin and creamed asparagus were to die for! And I can't stand fresh fish! My friend was in Alvor the month after me courtesy of the SNS in a duplo room and she got the same treatment as I did privately.

I left with Tramadol and was prescribed it for three months following without my asking. I didn't need it but got it so have a nice supply ... just in case! All doctors are different but I would definitely ask for Tramadol and take it in conjunction with Paracetamol (I use the effervescent).

I hope things settle down for you but if you have any questions, please feel free to ask me. Oh, they were always short staffed on weekends!

Sending you wishes for a peaceful day.

Bom Dia.gif Izzy xx

If I fancy a choccie which strangely I don't I would eat haha
Whew. I'm glad to hear it. I thought your original comment was humorous, but with something like this, it's best to be certain.
hoping for a good night sleep my temperament is all over the place silly things suddenly become major not like me at all.
Some of this will be lack of sleep, but some of it is just stress from the surgery itself. It's quite common to be unusually emotional for a few weeks.

@Jamie thanks so much for this xx

@Izabel I really would love to get in contact with you I will send you a private message xx
Seeing the surgeon tomorrow so I will def ask for tramadol. Very different attitude no daily menus or choice and

full of very noisy "ciganos"

I'm now in a better mood my daughter & husband are both really concerned as I'm usually a happy go lucky positive person but the last 48 hours i
haven't been great- my husband has put me in contact with a PT in Faro whom spent almost an hour with me on the phone and answered my queries I will go on Friday purely to do an assessment as he is in the same opinion as this group less is best especially in the early days.
Apparently had I been operated in the public hospital I would have stayed a minimum of 5 nights with the use of the cpm machine to loosen the joints - then a follow up regime of light pt... you would have thought a private hospital would have offered this service but on my pre-op visit was told I would be home after 2 nights fortunately due to the PT assessment I was kept in 3 nights no way was I ready to be discharged .. but after discharge no after support provided. I'm fairly young with a good family support I really feel sorry for the elderly as they have no support whatsoever.

Only 1 more day of pain I hope and then I can concentrate on looking after myself found a comfy spot on the sofa where afternoon sun hits and already had a catnap.. this will be my spot as long as the sun shines of course I have my legs covered.

Thanks to everyone who has had the patience to help me "buck up"

CPM machines are controversial, my surgeon never mentioned one and when I asked my PT about them, he said they are “old school.” So don’t feel you missed out on anything important.

I was glad I was never offered one as I feel it would have bothered my lower back issues.

Show your husband and daughter the article on post op blues, it should help them understand you better.

Hi Sara, would it help if I suggested you might be having difficulty seeing the wood for the trees (that's an English expression, does it make sense)
You are obviously having problem with pain control, and that is affecting your moods, which isn't surprising.
Once the pain eases, things will all pop into place and you'll surge forward, wondering wheres the beef.
You are a week in, so the pain should be easing soon, and people often start reducing pain killers in the second week (I did!)
Keep maximising the meds, look forward to all the wonderful small achievements you'll still be making.
But I bet you never tried my magic elixir of jam Roly poly and custard, did you!!!

Last edited:
I agree with Tykey that pain control is so important in dealing with the early recovery period. Even though I am 71 years old, and live alone, I was so happy to return home on Day Two, about 27 hours after my TKR surgery was over. I am sure that having very little pain really helped, plus an attentive boyfriend living next door was a big help as well.

At my hospital, they required that I walk 120 feet with a walker two hours after awakening from anesthesia, and 300 feet the next day. So by the time I was home, I knew I could get to the toilet or kitchen, and re-fill my icing machine, which was really all that I needed.

I was just so glad to get home. Sleeping was impossible in the hospital and at home I was able to rest and recover. Plus, I love my home and feel happier here.

@ tykey yes in the light of the day it all makes sense tomorrow I have appointment with the surgeon ( I have list all ready ) and if I am able to get the pain under control the rest I know will follow suite- being tired /anxious and in pain just becomes a vicious circle.

Unfortunately haven't got the ingredients for the jam roly poly my husband wouldn't have a clue what suet is and the only English shop is " Icelands" which is a 45 minute drive from us so " me thinks .. it's one for the future sadly as so tempting yum yum :)

@ Carole4815

Yes I too was looking forward to being at home especially as my daughter was here for a few days sadly she leaves for London tomorrow and back to work :(

Once I get myself sorted and pain free I'll bounce back to being positive

No idea what i expected prior to surgery but probably a good thing as it wouldn't have happened haha .

Onwards and forwards xxxx

The first few weeks aren't pleasant even when your pain is well controlled. I hope you get some help from the surgeon. I liked that you found a sunny spot to doze in. :)

@ kneeper Yes it's a learning curve for us all xx

Good Morning Two Cups.jpeg Sarah

Hope you get your questions answered today ... and some Tramadol!

It boggles my mind how a lot of folk on here, both knee and hip, have day surgery! :thud:

I will speak to you later. xx

Hugs for You.jpeg Izzy xx

Day 6
Phew finally managed about 5 hours sleep on and off last night - what a difference I felt my old self has emerged once again and started the day with a renewed energy.

Had my 1st check up with the surgeon he answered all my queries and agreed that a change of medication was necessary my dressing was changed too.
He was well pleased with his handiwork (it looks very big to me ) and happy with my progress.

My daughter left for London this evening I will miss her company but definitely not the mess haha but only a few months and she will be back for Christmas :)

Been given the all clear to sleep in any position I feel comfortable and I only need to wear those sexy white compression stockings during the day - my legs feel so free haha.

What a rollercoaster ride for our emotions - thanks to all you lovely people for helping make us understand it better.

My sincere "hats off" to all those of you having bilateral TKR it's bad enough for 1 leg but well both is just mind blowing -xx

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Raithtaxi
Recent bookmarks