TKR One Year Post Surgery

A couple of questions to you whom have been there and done that ...

I was as you know operated on the 10th discharged today the 13th and have been told I will see my surgeon on the 17th ...is it normal not to have the dressing changed there is no mention on any of my medical sheets informing me when to have the dressing changed ...
Secondly
I absolutely hate lying on my back even thou bed at home comfy I have always slept on my good leg side ... can i do this ?
Do I need to place pillow between legs ?

Thirdly at the hospital they never elevated our legs now I came home tried the 3 pillow technique ( even sewed them together pre-op) now I find it very uncomfortable to the point of actually hurting ...
It doesn't actually say in the information provided how high this should be - I have since removed 1 pillow but still not comfy my legs feel better flat on the bed- I'm wearing full length compression stockings and have lovenox 4 000 UI (40mg) injected into my tummy every evening at 7 pm and have enough for 24 nights. ( I think this is a blood thinner ?)

Medication they have given me to take at home is Clonix 300g (clonixina) and paracetamol 1000g told to do every 8h but not in which order ...When I called the hospital this evening the nurse wasn't sure lol suggested I took Clonix at 22:30pm and at 6am paracetamol fingers crossed.
I had tramadol at the hospital and found it excellent but they won't give it to me for home ...

I have a slightly bad tummy resulting in frequent trips to the bathroom I assume this is from the IVs and pills rather annoying as soon as I lay down I'm having to jump back up again only plus side is I'm moving ....haha

Anyway it's after midnight dying to go to sleep but it has decided to elude me ... my doxie is curled up on the far side giving me plenty of space she has been so gentle with me and knows that something isn't quite right.

Wishing you all a good night's sleep with Sweet dreams xxx

I will ask @Jamie to answer some of those questions.

My dressing stayed on almost 2 weeks, until my surgeon took it off.

For now, keep your leg in whatever position you find comfortable. Elevating is helpful but not if it’s painful. One thought, is your leg totally straight? That can be especially painful. But, it’s fine to have a slight bend. I found it painful the first couple of weeks to have my leg up on my elevating wedge, but it got better over time and I came to love it, in fact I still use it!

I was always a side sleeper also but I have switched to sleeping very happily on my back. It helps that my legs are on my elevating wedge.

I think you can try sleeping on your side and see how it goes. Some of our members manage well on their side with a pillow between their legs.

I’m glad your doxie is close by but having respect for your post surgical condition. :roseshwr:

Thank you @Jockette

I just tried lying on my side and jolted a bone so now lying flat on my back with ice on my knee - as it hurts ..

I have started lying since I was in hospital with my left foot slightly turned outwards and knee slightly bent ..I did try to keep it straight but was too uncomfortable.
Hopefully soon I'll discover a ideal position xxx

I’m sorry you hurt your knee trying to lay on your side.

Here’s a couple of pictures of a slightly bent knee:
These are examples of elevating correctly, with the knee slightly bent:

hudson-shaped-wedge-jpg.68083

pillow-stack-jpg.32383
Here’s an article with more detail:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/elevation-the-dos-and-donts.7602/

@Jockette is the 1st picture a lounge Doctor ?

How high should the pillows be I did look at the article but it doesn't say ?

Thanks again

Ideally, you want “toes above the nose” but any angle that your leg continues upward will help. I think as you heal a bit it will feel better to elevate to that general height.

The only time my leg was toes above the nose was when I was in bed. When I was not in bed I was sitting on my couch with my feet on an ottoman. Not “proper” elevation, but I was comfortable enough there. It worked for me.

Jockette's advice is right on target.

is it normal not to have the dressing changed there is no mention on any of my medical sheets informing me when to have the dressing changed
This is normal as the surgeons usually put on a dressing with special medication to fight infection. Just leave it. The only issue would be if you were experiencing drainage and the bandage became soaked. Also, it should not get wet, so be sure it stays dry until you see your surgeon again. If it becomes wet, it needs to be changed.

I absolutely hate lying on my back even thou bed at home comfy I have always slept on my good leg side ... can i do this ?
Do I need to place pillow between legs ?
You can try whatever positions you like. If it's comfortable to sleep on your side, I do suggest a pillow between your knees. I was not able to side sleep for quite a while but did put a line of pillows down one side of the bed and kind of leaned my back into them so I was halfway on my side and halfway on my back.

I have since removed 1 pillow but still not comfy my legs feel better flat on the bed-
It is good to combat swelling if you can elevate your legs. But if you cannot do it without pain, then do what's comfortable. It's early days in recovery and you may be able to elevate properly later. Just be sure to use lots of ice as it's great for pain. Ice 5-6 times a day for at least 45 minutes and you can also ice as you sleep. Do both front and back of your knee. But be sure to keep a towel between you and the ice source so you don't get freezer burn on your skin.

Medication they have given me to take at home is Clonix 300g (clonixina) and paracetamol 1000g told to do every 8h but not in which order
Clonix is an NSAID, so you really don't have much medication for pain. If you're experiencing significant pain, I suggest you contact your surgeon or GP and ask for some Tramadol. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to take that on your own at home.

I have a slightly bad tummy resulting in frequent trips to the bathroom
This concerns me as this can be a sign you're having problems with the NSAID you've been prescribed. NSAIDs are more of an anti-inflammatory medication than a pain reliever. I suggest you give the Clonix a pass and take just the paracetamol. You can take it in 1000mg doses every 6 hours on a schedule and it may be enough to take care of your pain if it's not too severe. The maximum dose in any 24 hour period is 4,000mg so be sure to also count in any medications you take with adetaminophen in them like cold and sinus medications. If you are able to get Tramadol, you can even combine it with paracetamol for better coverage.

When you contact your doctor about the possibility of getting some Tramadol, tell him about the stomach issues when taking Clonix. NSAIDs can sometimes cause serious stomach damage and you don't want to mess around with them if they cause you problems.

Day 5

First night at home and actually wish I had brought hospital bed with me I just couldn't get comfortable lay awake with several trips to bathroom until about 3am must have fallen asleep as awoke at 05:30am proceeded to take duvet out of its cover and just kept the cover on me as all to hot n heavy.... feeling out of sorts leg feels more painful then yesterday took a paracetamol at 5:45am hope this kicks in fast need to rethink ice situation maybe get an ice bucket as don't want to disturb rest of family nor to be honest I can't face the walk to the kitchen a set back on yesterday :( think maybe all the excitement of going home took its toll on my knee ...wish pain meds WOULD kick in. Considering buying a lounge Doctor any thoughts on the subject as they are rather costly my height is 5.7 ( UK) or 1.72 cm so I suppose a medium would be better As they cost over £100 plus postage ( Portugal) really would be interested in everyone's views or would I be better buying a recliner for the lounge instead.
Paracetamol slowing kicking In ahhh feel a slight relief :) but a throbbing pain on inside of knee ..me thinks a gentler day today with lots of bed rest.
Trying to stay positive but pain really is a :censored:

Better day to all xxx

Last edited by a moderator:
@Jamie Thank you so much for this information the Clonix I only took for the 1st time was last night so I don't think it was that, that caused upset tummy it could have been the previous meds ( possible tramadol or paracetamol at hospital as the tummy upset only started on day 3 and I left hospital day 4 ... today day 5 a slight rumble tummy
Could it be all the soup they gave us at the hospital and change of diet? I'm not usually a soup eater but did make the effort our main meals lunchtime and dinner consisted of a bowl of vegetable soup me In dish of fish and vegetables and always fruit for dessert same again at 8pm ...

Good idea about pillows I will try that xx

I will see how I get on today pain wise took a paracetamol at 5:45am it's now 1 hour later but not fully working yet as soon as I hear movement from hubby I will get some ice as I can't fact the walk to the kitchen just yet.

I think all the excitement and exercises and discharge tests yesterday took its toll maybe today I will rest a lot more x

Thanks for being there xxxx

@Tykey you were correct being home a different ball game all together ....

I bought a recliner because I wanted one anyway. Only cost $30, Facebook marketplace has loads over here. I don't need it for my recovery, but still always use it.
I put the footrest up, put a couple of cushions under my leg, instruct (beg❤️) my wife to bring some jam Roly poly and a bag of frozen peas, and I'm like a pig in muck for an hour or two.
That first few days need you to be selfish and gentle with yourself. Whenever you stand up, there's a price to pay, but the price gets less after a few days.

@Tykey thanks jam roly poly sounds tasty can I move in with you please haha
My husband is keeping me on a strict diet as he seems to think I'll gain wait not doing much during the day ...
My daughter brought me a big bag of Cadbury mini selection and both of them are munching their way through it ... bloody torture and they leave bag far end of house so even if I wanted some I would have to go get it then get a lecture haha

Feeling more positive after a weepy start had breakfast and Carlos to got sort bedroom so I'm not falling over things :) bet he's wanting yo be on another planet he called me bossy boots this am... he's heading fast out the door to work but has faithfully promised to bring me some lunch - bliss peace n quiet xx

Put it on your to do list, and reward yourselves when you are discharged.

Put it on your to do list, and reward yourselves when you are discharged.

@Tykey sounds like a good idea !!

I hope you were just joking that your husband put you on a diet at this time. None of us feel well at this early stage, major surgery itself and the drugs, etc. all affect our appetite. Protein is very good for you right now but eat whatever tastes good to you. It’s a temporary situation.

You may very well “gain weight” from the swelling you have, so that doesn’t count as far a diet goes. And, you won’t be “sitting around” forever. How sad there is candy near by that they won’t let you have. I would be outraged! In fact I am outraged for you! :heehee:

I hope you were just joking that your husband put you on a diet at this time. None of us feel well at this early stage, major surgery itself and the drugs, etc. all affect our appetite. Protein is very good for you right now but eat whatever tastes good to you. It’s a temporary situation.
What she said. Now is absolutely not the time to be 'watching your weight'. Your body is working very, very hard. You need to be able to eat plenty of protein and listen to cravings.

I normally follow a pretty strict diet working on weightloss. In July i had my first surgery and I allowed myself to eat as needed. In September, I had my second knee done. So I've effectively spent 3.5 months so far sitting on my behind healing getting only minimal exercise and I've gained very little eating guided by hunger. I expect that to come right off now that I'm getting active again.

I hope you get discharged so you can get home to be able to sleep.:bored: Hospitals have always been the worse place to try to get some sleep.

ICE:
As for the ice, I found that three frozen water bottles fit in my icing machine. That is much easier for me to handle than a bag of ice. I just grab three from the freezer and bring them to my icing machine. I live alone so I don't have to be concerned with bothering anybody. The three bottles last about 3 hours I guess. I thought for a while that I could put more frozen water bottles in a cooler by my icing machine, so that I didn't have to make that walk so frequently to change them out. But I never actually did that.

SLEEPING:
As for sleeping, it's week 9 for me and I still haven't solved that problem yet. Would be thrilled if anybody here has, and has some ideas about how to get back to more normal sleep patterns. All I know to do is to nap whenever I can during the day, and to forgive myself if I can't sleep at night. In the early weeks when I was taking opiates, I would take one at bedtime. That both killed my pain and also put me to sleep. But by now I have not taken any opiates in about six weeks so that is no longer a solution for me.

RECLINER OR LOUNGE DOCTOR:
I haven't used my Lounge Doctor very much. I should use it more; I don't elevate as much as I should. On the other hand, I use my recliner almost constantly and slept in it instead of my bed for quite a while. Now, I try to sleep in my bed but if I can't I go to my recliner. When buying my recliner I did the opposite of Tykey and bought a very fancy lift recliner for $599. It has two motors, one for the upper body and one for the lower, and electronic controls which I think are great. My recliner adjusts to where I am lying down almost flat, if I want to, although it does not get my knee high enough to elevate. Here is the bonesmart page about what to look for in a recliner and I think it has some great advice on what to look for. I am sitting in my recliner now, with my legs up and the icing machine attached to my knee.

Last edited:
Last night was the first time I slept in a bed rather than my recliner. The recliner has been my nest as it was during my first recovery. I also have a lounge doctor and my legs are elevated on it whether I am sitting up in the recliner or lying back flat to sleep. I'm also always connected to my ice machine unless I am moving about. Last night in the bed I slept with legs on the lounge doctor and hooked up to the ice machine.

I am a side sleeper and crave getting back to that position like some people lust after chocolate. The last recovery, I was able to manage it with a pillow between my legs about 3 weeks out from surgery. I tried last night, but it simply wasn't to be - my recovering leg was hugely uncomfortable when I got myself on either side. So it will be back sleeping for me for the moment.

@Carole4815
Thanks for this infornation all very useful I'll see how I get on in the next day or so before I decide to buy anything inclined to get a recliner as found the sofa not so easy to get off and as it is L shaped you are twisted whilst sitting- what we never notice prior xx

Regarding sleeping will nap when I'm tired and hope I get the odd decent night I contacted hospital today and have altered method of pain medication and so hopefully from now on pill get it right - early days so still learning.
@Jockette @luvcats ..not a proper diet he just wants me to keep off the sugary stuff as I was a chocoholic Pre-surgery and for my surgery I lost 2 Kilos 73 kilos ( I'm 1.72) my bmi is 24.8 no idea what i now weigh but would like to be about 24 BMI less stress on my knees.
If I fancy a choccie which strangely I don't I would eat haha :heehee:

@newlybionic yes hoping for a good night sleep my temperament is all over the place silly things suddenly become major not like me at all.
The hospital was atrociously noisy at night ...lol

@Rather good advice thank you and agree I'm dying to sleep on my side too xx

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties