TKR One Year Post Surgery

Sara61

Staff member since March 23, 2020
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Portugal Portugal
Hi all

Well I'm lying in hospital was operated earlier this afternoon unfortunately had a epidural which they say is better but I didn't enjoy listening to the sounds of drilling / hammering etc

Managed a light supper at 8 pm but then immediately got the shakes they said this is normal.

I can wiggle my ankles and have managed a slight bend of the knee but now the pain is constant and knee throbbing

I'm awaiting an injection to prevent blood clotting any hopefully a stronger pain killer then hopefully I might doze off.

Will keep you all updated feeling tired /shaky and in pain they removed the ice as it soaked the bed hoping they will bring more soon x

I’m sorry you had a tough start. :console2:

Keep reminding them you want ice. My hospital used gel packs that didn’t leak.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Thanks @Jockette fingers crossed tomorrow a better day xx

And hearing by those sounds during surgery :yikes: I’m glad I had general anesthesia!

Thanks for the update, @Sara61 . Hopefully you will be feeling better, and better, from this point onwards. When I was in the hospital, it seemed like they never gave me any pain medication at all until I summoned a nurse and asked for it, but then they gave me all I needed. I will be thinking of you and hoping they get your pain under control very soon.

Congratulations on your new knee! Pain control is the best thing we can do for ourselves! I am still trying to find the correct amount for myself. Hang in there and you will find what helps you the most!

Thanks all have been given something but not yet kicked in

I had my 2nd TKR on Monday with a spinal and femoral block. The anesthesiologist said that I might hear things - I begged him to silence my ears. I guess he did because I have no memory of hearing anything. And I agree with the suggestion to ask for pain meds. They started me on 1 hydrocodone and it wasn't managing the pain. I asked for more and they started giving me 2 for each dose. That amount made it bearable.

Ohhhhhhhhh I would not enjoy hearing those sounds, at all. Yes you have to be vocal in asking for pain medication. Hang in there it will get better.

It’s a shame we have to be so vocal about our pain medication, I used to think it was as the nurses’ jobs to see that we got our pain medication on time, and to check that it was working.

Congratulations on your new knee. I hope the pain meds kick in soon and you can get some sleep.

Wish I could too- have a German lady in the bed next to me- Snoring her head off if I had a spare pillow I would be inclined to throw it at her - I'm not having very saintly thoughts right now, it 5.52am been lying awake since 3 ish not really slept
Just asked for more pain killers as throbbing pain going on....

My leg feels very heavy was only able to bend it early afternoon and so far nothing more - they took me to the loo thankfully in a wheelchair contraption the pain as excruciating and I sweated buckets.

The top of my good leg is numb so they have stopped the antibiotics as he said this was probably the cause...

Not sure what I expected but Def not this ....

My sense of humour is waring thin....

Welcome to recovery.
The first day is pretty horrible, and the first two weeks aren't any fun, I won't lie. Be sure you're stable on the oral meds before they send you home if at all possible.
It gets better pretty quickly. And then you can begin to really enjoy your new knee.

2nd day post op

Managed a few painful steps across the room with a zimmer frame then had my leg put into a machine that very slowly moved it to a bend increasing every few seconds.

I'm still finding difficult to bend on its own

Pain is better controlled today finding it hard having to ring a nurse for every toilet run usually they bring a pan which is not very dignified but hey ho ...

then had my leg put into a machine that very slowly moved it to a bend increasing every few seconds.
This is a Continuous Passive Motion machine, CPM for short. How do you like it?

At first found it painful then I told myself to relax and breath it was better x

Had it on for 20 minutes might have been less.

I was very frightened of that CPM machine until I used it, and then I really kind of liked it! I wanted to take it home with me when I was released from the hospital, but they wouldn't allow it. :heehee: Apparently they are very expensive.

For me, it took time before I could easily bend my knee on my own. But eventually I could.

Hi Sara, sorry to hear you aren't yet on top of the pain. Keep badgering for new or extra meds.
It might seem hard to believe at the moment, but it gets better. Hang in there.

@Tykey Thanks for your words of encouragement hopefully today a better day - and they may even discharge me - just a bit of peace and quiet would be a blessing again the orchestra is playing loudly beside - at its only 3.45 am tried earplugs but she ain't half noisy so given up on getting at more sleep until she awakes lol

Hospital are very noisy ... won't be for too long

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics