TKR One Year Post Surgery

@Hoppy Nanny Chrissie 14 days is reasonable but 28 seems excessive my tummy will be black n blue by then - fortunately I have a wee bit of fat :shocked:as it would be awful otherwise:) :-) (:

I had 28 last time... I’m ok for blubber too:heehee: 42172980-91F5-441C-9DA5-83429176E91A.jpeg

Sara61, somehow your thread got by me. Aside from early pain management, you're doing better than I. Just keep healing one day at a time. I'm 4 weeks out and still on pain meds at night, sleep deprived..... but at least my wife feeds me chocolate. I am certain chocolate helps in healing.

Sounds like a hospital stay is almost tougher than the one-day surgery I had. I have to say, having had 7 previous surgeries in 3 different hospitals, the surgery center was a breath of fresh air! I had 2-3 nurses around from start to finish and never had to ask for a thing. They monitored my pain, helped me to the bathroom, brought me drinks, gave me meds and made sure my daughter, who accompanied me, had all instructions.

I did wake up on the operating table, but felt no pain and heard no equipment - they were just putting the dressing on. Hope you're feeling better now.

After a somewhat disturbed night decided I couldn't go any longer and managed on my own to wash my hair - Bliss such simple acts makes one so happy ( I have of course showered frequently) but hadn't the courage to bend over before so feeling very proud :dancy: of myself :)

I weighed myself this morning and to my horror had put on half a kilo since my operation ( must be the new knee :chinstroke: lol) although it's more likely the relaxed living and little movement - I thought I might have lost more weight having given up alcohol for over 1 month :-(

Happy week to all hope everyone improves a little xxx

I put on 6 lbs, and reckon at least half is due to the excess metal and swelling I've got.
You are definitely on the road to recovery, because your brain is on your side.
Well done!!!

Morning all :)
Day 13 After a not so bad a night woke up twice firstly to take paracetamol then again at 07:30am to take Tramadol my body clock seems to know what time pain meds needed lol:alarm:
Today I start PT hopefully it will be gentle I'm going with loads of advice from BoneSmart - I mainly want to do it to correct my posture and ensure the exercises I was given from hospital I'm doing correctly.
It will be nice to see other people too I live in the country with no neighbours so pretty much just see :dogsniff::froggies:and my husband the facility is 30 minutes by car :)as my friends are all still working I only get to see them weekend at the moment.
So now I'm going to get up, get dressed and fingers crossed have a good day.
Wishing all my friends on BoneSmart a good day / night wherever you are xxxxx

Ola.gif Sarah

Wanted to say how well I think you are doing and hope your PT goes well today.

Like you I don't see anyone day to day (except Hubby and cats) but it never bothers me. I guess this is because I always worked alone and had an office to myself except for a brief two-year period and it drove me nuts! I like and am comfortable with my own company.

This sudden change of temperature is a shock to the system! Really appreciated the rain over the weekend but we were surprised by the sudden brief thunderburst late yesterday afternoon (seemed like it was over you!). The sharp wind right now is taking the gloss off the sun!

Take things easy.

Beijinhos2.jpeg Izzy xx

Last edited:
Enjoy yourself today, I was amazed how much easier things became when I improved my posture and gait.
Good luck

Well just had PT - feared the worst but it was "a walk in the park" the Therapist is of the opinion a little at a time is the best - he is extremely happy with my progress and says I'm advanced for the number of days post op
Today he just put me in a CPM machine for 30 minutes didn't hurt at all and I felt I walked much straighter after. He has told me to give up certain exercises that the hospital had suggested as he felt they cause too much strain on the knee. he wants me to "take it easy ' he does emphasise on ICE he said it is the best form of painkiller and to ice my knee as often as I want.
I'm to go twice weekly.
All in all a successful visit.
Feeling positive

I weighed myself this morning and to my horror had put on half a kilo since my operation ( must be the new knee :chinstroke: lol) although it's more likely the relaxed living and little movement - I thought I might have lost more weight having given up alcohol for over 1 month :-(
I put on 6 lbs, and reckon at least half is due to the excess metal and swelling I've got.
I gained about 8 pounds. (sigh) One would think that healing would use up more calories than that but it didn't.

It never occurred to me to weigh myself early in recovery, but I don’t do it very often anyway. I doubt I could have even stayed steady on the scale in the early weeks if I had wanted to!

:nah::nah:@Jaycey @Carole4815 What a shame was hoping to blame the prosthesis for the weight gain haha :)

:nah::nah:@Jaycey @Carole4815 What a shame was hoping to blame the prosthesis for the weight gain haha :)
Just blame the swelling, that’s probably what it is.

And it never occurred to me to measure the circumference of my knee and compare it to the other, either.

@Jockette haha prior to the operation my left leg was really swollen so it looks pretty much the same - my hubby probably to blame as he is feeding me very well but I shan't complain as it is a treat to be waited upon :heehee:

I'm awake, so I'll do something usefully

Here's a guesstimate of weight gain from a swollen leg and TKR
Assume I weigh 100kg, because it makes the sum easier. And it's not far off!
According to t'internet, a leg is 18% of our body weight, so it weighs 18 kg in my case.

I suppose I could measure my swollen leg and apply calculus to it to get the actual volume but I've forgotten how to do that. An increase in size of 10% seems a reasonable figure, so the swelling weighs 1.8 kg.

So in lbs, that's 4 lbs in old money.
Again according to the aforementioned internet, a prosthesis weighs 1 to 2 lbs, so I'll use the lower figure of 1. So that makes a total increase of 5 lbs for the whole thing.

My weight (according to Slimming World) actually went up by 6 lbs, so on this rough estimate, the jam Roly poly only added 1 lb
That'll do me.

@Tykey Good Morning "Thank you" put like that I it appears didn't gain any weight haha only time will tell when hopefully swelling disappears :heehee: j
My staples come out at 10am today counted approx 40 of them not sure if they remove all at once go or take alternative, plus got a morning filled with Xrays / blood tests etc in preparation for my next meeting w/surgeon on the 6/11
Thursday & Friday will be on my own as hubby has to go away on business but I now feel confident enought to be left ( might even lose weight haha )

@Izabel Hi - have sent you an email not sure if you've gotten it ..
Like you I also enjoy my own company especially when I have the freedom to come & go
Weather - temperature dropped so fast that it was a shock. one week ago 29 degree now only 15 degrees plus the houses here are built to keep the heat out so they are cold in the Winter - we have just ordered a couple of tonnes of wood but for time being I'm using the A/C on heat as I can't carry wood in.
All in all a good excuse to lie on the sofa wrapped in blankets and have a cup of hot ovalmaltine :)
Hope you are feeling better today.
The dogs hate the thunderstorms the spaniel shivers and shakes and the daschund whom thinks she is a miniature version of a Doberman barks at it haha - I have run out of tramadol ( he only prescribed 1 packet of 18 pills) so hopefully I can get a prescription today .... do the doctors seriously think I'm going to get addicted to it ... "enfim" as the Portuguese say...
Have a good pain free day xxx

:wave:Sarah

Best wishes for today. 40 stitches? :thud: I think I had about 28.

Replied to you ... maybe I am in spam? :what::scratch:

Friends coming over bringing lunch today so will catch up with you later.

Hugs Arms.jpeg Izzy xx

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
corvettejanie
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom