Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

TKR Done and dusted

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
I don’t know about flying, but how dare your doctor do that to you!!! I am outraged for you!! :hairpulling: I have read at least one other member report such an experience. I think once I’m out of surgery next time I’ll have a “hands off” policy or they can have this:
:xmas-snowball-fight-smiley-emoticon:

Pumpkln

Country
I be ok carrying a 10kg rucksack or best to take a small wheelie suitcase on board.
Use a small wheelie, the distance up the steps will be fine.
I have to show my knee at security or can I just tell them was hoping to travel in jeans
Tell them you have a TKR, they will put you through the x ray scanner. If you go through the metal detector, they will scan your knee once you have gone through. I always wear jeans, they have not asked to see my knee.
Here is a thread about members experience with airport security.

Tykey

big-cheese
Good grief!!!
It's not often words fail me!!
I hope you re-recover quickly, and enjoy your trip back to Blighty. Sadly, it's cold and damp, so come prepared.

marieltha

graduate
Country
@Sara61 I have a small hard Olympia wheelie (about $50 US((8 casters: 4 sets of 2 that spin in all directions and easily go up curbs)). The retractable handle fully up is like having a cane—very useful! I roll it next to me when I go to the Y pool.

OP
OP
Sara61

Sara61

Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
How bizarre my whole 4 month update post has completely disappeared - did I break any rules ? :chinstroke:

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Sara61 So sorry you lost your post. We had a problem with the server hard drive yesterday and had to restore from back up files - twice. Unfortunately some content was lost. All should be well now however!

sistersinhim

Country
@Sara61, please repost about your update. There are many of us that have lost posts and will just have to redo them. Computers are great when they are working right, but when they mess up, there are a headache!

OP
OP
Sara61

Sara61

Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
Tomorrow 10th marks 4 months post surgery it's hard to believe that time has flown so fast and that my life has almost returned to normality, having kept myself updated with other posts, I believe the climate plays a major role on our healing, here in the South of Portugal it is now 19 degrees ( Summer for some) there is not the fear of falling or slipping on ice or snow and I admire those of you who deal with that everyday x
Other than early morning stiffness and if I do "too much" I hardly think of my knees (except on the stairs lol - my clickerty click reminds me every time I go up or down ha ha) Thankfully my home does not have many - the swelling is minimal and the incision scar is fading - I use Bio Oil twice daily & so far happy with the results.
I have stopped going to PT and basically rely on my daily cross country walks with my doggies (3-4kms) as my home physio since my painful experience with the static bike I've not been brave enough to try it again :heehee:however my knee does what I need it to do, so I cannot complain although kneeling and running is still a big no,no....at the moment happy to avoid either maybe one day a year from now :praying:
I can honestly say the earlier pain /discomfort was worth it, the daily ache/pain I suffered pre-surgery has gone and I'm positive my knee with time will improve further I have no idea what my rom is or my extension nor feel the need to know my knee does what it needs to do, this last week I spent an average of 4 hours daily sanding /painting wooden doors, I climbed ladders and on the whole it was ok, I did ice and elevate at the end of the day. I would love to hear from other October fiesties on how they are doing at 4 months.
Hopefully newbies reading this will get encouragement but note that everyone heals at different paces some faster than others, positivity& patience are key factors with these on board the battle is half won, also age /weight and state of the knee prior to operating also determines ones road to recovery.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sara61

Sara61

Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
Lol:heehee: talk about talking too soon ... such is this rollercoaster ride - not sure if weather related but Mrs. Knee is giving me grief, nagging ache on top of the knee and the occasional intense shooting pain just below - hoping this is normal for 4 months can't see any redness although knee is a bit swollen.
How often should one be icing at this stage ?
Other than walking (3-4kms daily ) I'm not doing Any other exercises occasionally I use the mini peddler should I be doing more,?
due to the uncomfortable clicking behind the knee I tend to avoid leg raising exercises - should I be doing some ? Would it help to get rid of clicking ? :chinstroke:
Feeling disgruntled :gaah: lol

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country

Mmassagee

Country
Hi @Sara61,
I had my Right TKR on Oct. 18, 2019. So I am just about at my 4 month post surgery date. I do not post much, but, enjoy reading everyone’s posts and updates. I kept up with your recovery on bonesmart because your surgery date was so close to mine!
1) In just the last week my right knee finally started to feel “normal”. Meaning I have totally forgetten about it.
2) I hardly even talk about it now when it used to be a daily conversational update/complaint to my husband.
3) When I walk, my right knee feels routine and normal - not artificial - this phenomenon is recent as of last week.
4) I sleep through the night but still prefer a pillow between my knees.
5) I can take one step / one leg at a time going upstairs but going down is still tricky for me since my left knee needs surgery next and the whole going downstairs for me is still 2 feet per step anyway.
6) I’ve been a new grandmother since my 3rd week post op. It’s been hard for me physically until recently. Now I can hold the baby with both arms and get off sofa using both sets of quad muscles without suffering for 2 days. I can hold the baby and go up and down stairs slowly but safely.
7) I can go to the gym and use the recumbent bike. If I have any trouble on certain days it’s because of swelling in my non surgery left knee.
8) If I sit for 2 hours in car or restaurant I am stiff when I stand up. It’s mostly now in my non surgery knee but my R surgery knee still needs a few moments to wake up.
9) Not sure what my ROM is but flexion was 125 a while back and extension is now
good. I had trouble with extension for the longest time previously.
10) All good now except for still needing surgery for left knee. I am super nervous about that. Will need to be brave one day and just do it.

sistersinhim

Country
What a great update, especially forgetting about your new knee! Holding that new baby while getting up and down from sitting and while taking the steps is a huge step! How uplifting your post is.

OP
OP
Sara61

Sara61

Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
@Mmassagee what a great update congratulations on becoming a grandmother :) I can mostly relate until I overdo things which at the moment seems to be constant lol.
I'm still fully aware my knee was operated on and tend to baby it as such hopefully with time I can /will forget about it.
I can manage stairs but due to the click/catch at the back of the knee its still very uncomfortable so find it easier to do one at a time - this needs to change as it does draw attention :heehee: on discharge from PT my Rom was measured at 130 I assume it still must be the same.
Stopped using pillow in between legs as no room in the bed :rotfl: both with DH moving back in and my doxie :dogsniff: pillow had to go, thankfully I sleep almost the full night waking just to turn or straighten the knee.
Like you my other knee will eventually need surgery meanwhile I can have hyaluronic acid gel injections these are a godsend.
Keep me posted as interesting to see how everyone differs.
Wishing you continued success xx

OP
OP
Sara61

Sara61

Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
One week on and feel a huge difference maybe weather related it is sunny and 19 degrees have loads more energy and feel the need to keep moving - gone from daily 3000-4000 steps last week to almost daily of 12000-15000 steps this week (5000 steps just on my daily walk with the dogs) Still having to concentrate on my gait but am sure with time this will just come naturally, I haven't needed to ice in over a week, actually I feel worse if I'm not moving stiffness sets in when I'm sitting or lying on the sofa...Hopefully all this extra movement will shift those extra kilos :heehee:
Helps following other people's positive posts...
Hopefully everyone else is having a good week too.
Mentally preparing myself for UK weather ...3 degrees sounds pretry cold to me :yikes:

Hoppy Nanny

big-cheese
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi @Sara61
What a fab update... so pleased that your knee is doing well now.... that sun must help.
My hip and knee are both fabulous ... no complaints!!!
except we’ve only had 5 days since October with no rain.. yuck.
Glad to find you improving & moving on.
Love Chrissie xxx❤

OP
OP
Sara61

Sara61

Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
Writing my post from a wet and windy and very cold (1degrees) Salisbury in the UK.
My dreaded journey was infact quite easy I took heed and took a small wheelie suitcase, I made sure I got to the airport earlier than I normally would as airport security can be busy of course when it was my turn the alarm bleeped and I was taken to the side, they were not interested in paperwork but the lady was gentle yet thorough I wore skinny jeans.

I deliberately chose an aisle seat so that I could stretch out my left leg and made sure that I stood up to stretch it half way through the 3 hour flight) I chose priority boarding and getting on the plane was easy I just told people I had been operated on and upon landing I waited till the plane was almost empty before exiting - you only wait at passport control anyway and this way it was much easier- I think at this stage in our recovery allowing "time" is the essence.

My visit to the UK is a mixed bag of emotions - my extremely fit 72 year old brother suffered 2 major strokes last year and is wheelchair bound in a nursing home so to allow my sister some respite on daily visits I came to visit him whilst she is on holiday.

On the whole my knee is behaving, most evenings it has swelled and is painful, I'm having trouble sleeping but think that is normal and not knee related I'm in a strange large house in the countryside and totally alone :yikes: so its more out of fear than pain keeping me awake haha ..

Hopefully the virus doesn't keep me in the UK and I can fly home on Wednesday... @Tykey if I'm stuck I'm heading your way to be fed... ha ha my sister left an empty fridge and the nearest shop is 30 minute walk through a lonely lane - I did stock up on day 2- I took a taxi but think I will just diet till Wednesday lol. .

Last edited:

Tykey

big-cheese
Sara, I'm going to stock up on the Roly polys, just in case you get stuck over here. Shame to be going home today, because it's been a wonderful spring day, far and away the best this year, we've had our first butterfly in the garden. This warmth is good for the knees whilst wandering in the woods.
Hope you enjoyed your visit

OP
OP
Sara61

Sara61

Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
Thankfully got home safe and sound I think Salisbury got all the rain as it was torrential yesterday by the time I got home I was limping badly and out of sorts
Bournemouth airport gave me a thorough going over they must have been in training, as I was passed over by a manual scanner 4 times even to the extent of my having to lift my operated knee onto a table...anyway I'm glad I got to the airport early as once your pulled aside you have no contact with your suitcase or belongings and any one can touch them once they have gone through security x-ray- personally I think that should be revised by the airport.
Upon arriving at Faro airport the queue to passport control was huge 4 flights cramming into 3 desks so I spoke to security and was taken to priority queue thus jumping over an hours wait. " Always worth asking I did show my knee documents as proof..
Woken up to quite a swollen knee and "rain" typical it followed me home, knee feels very unhappy so I think a resting /icing day called for.
@Tykey Jam roly poly willhave to wait until October now although whether travel will be an option then only time will tell..
Hopefully no one on our flight will have brought corona virus with them however who knows where it will show it's ugly head.

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I’m sorry about your security experience, I can’t imagine putting my knee up on a table, even now, 3 years later! You would think you were the first knee replacement to ever go through there! I think a rest and ice day today is definitely a good idea.

My knee is finally starting to not react as much to rainy weather. It only took 3 years, but we all know my knee is a Drama Queen!

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Hippy chick
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom