THR Don’t know why I worried so much

Nanny7

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I had my Left hip replaced 8 October, one night in hospital and home now. I was terrified of having the spinal anaesthetic, I didn’t even know they had done it,?just felt cold on my back and that was it I was being told to lie down. I managed to get quite a lot of sleep last night and a shower this morning. I am so pleased I am on the other side, I know it’s going to be a steady recovery and I am not good at doing nothing, however I am doing as told taking pain meds and pleased to say just have a feeling of stiffness around wound after being or bed or sitting.
Looking forward to being back to doing things I love.

Congratulations! I’m so glad it went well.

I *love* posts like this! They are so reassuring for all the folks who are scared before surgery, of which I was one. I was all worked up about the spinal, which turned out to be a non-event. Take it slow and easy and enjoy your shiny new hip!

Congratulations on the new hip! Isn't it just the best feeling to have it over with and to see that your worries were pretty much unfounded, too. Just be sure to keep the ice packs busy, and protect your skin by using a thin towel or cloth as a barrier.

Here are our recovery guidelines for you to read while you are recuperating. So happy for you!

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs
The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

@Nanny7 :welome:

You did it! WOOHOO! Now begins the healing and rehab but just rest and enjoy the blissful feeling of confidence in a pain-free hip in your future! Good job!

Your journey on the other side has begun, welcome. I'm the same, have to be doing something, however now is a time to look forward to what you be able to do soon enough. I found relishing knowing that the next chapter will be better helped me get through the first 2 weeks, then the next 2 weeks and on. Time to rest for now....take care. Slow and steady gets you there.

I am now on day 6 of my recovery after LHR, I am amazed how well I feel, every day is getting easier, I have walked a little each day and had plenty of rest, am not in any pain and can now get in and out of bed much easier. I was anxious about having this done but I am so pleased to be rid of the terrible pain I have had for the last year. I am so looking forward to being able to get my life back. My leg feels a little stiff around the wound after sitting for too long but ice soon sorts it out.

Congrats! Sounds like you are on fast track. I had 'log' leg for 2 weeks, such a weird sensation.

@Nanny7 Sounds like you are doing really well! Still very early days. Don't push through anything. That hip is in charge now.

You will notice that I merged your newest post with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we will get it changed for you.

If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.

Welcome to the other side! Take it easy and be kind to yourself. Keep on top of pain meds and dont try doing too much

Great to hear your doing so well! Keep it up

Happy One Month Anniversary!
How are you doing? We'd love to hear. Hopefully you're enjoying steady progress. Let us know next time you're on the forum. Until then...all the best to you!
@Nanny7

Hi Layla, I am doing really well thank you, I am down to 1 crutch now but don’t quite feel stable enough to give that up yet, I have no pain just sometimes feel a little stiff if do too much but soon sort that with an ice pack. I am looking forward to when I can drive again as we live 2 miles from anywhere. I am surprised how tired I feel after doing very little even though I am sleeping very well. I am so relieved to be free from the pain I had pre op. My scar has healed very well, looking forward to when I can back to going on long walks and swimming.

@Nanny7 For driving, getting into and out of the car is the hard part I think, assuming an automatic transmission. Your surgery was on your left hip. Most US folks do not realize that in the UK, the accelerator is on the right, and the brake would normally be operated with the right foot, despite the cars being right-hand steering.

I was driving much sooner, but the automatic transmission helped a lot, I am sure.

So for practice, I suggest getting in and out of the car for exercise. Have a spotter, or at least keep your mobile phone with you, in case something turns out to be harder than hoped.

If you have a standard transmission, that makes it harder. During your visit to the car, try operating the clutch pedal.

I am surprised how tired I feel after doing very little even though I am sleeping very well.
It is energy drain....you're not alone in experiencing this.
Our body's energy supply isn't limitless. So when we're in healing mode after major surgery
our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time. How long....most likely relates to your body's rate of healing. Good to read you're sleeping well because our body does the best healing while we're sleeping.
Hope you're able to drive again soon. Have a great week!

. My scar has healed very well, looking forward to when I can back to going on long walks and swimming.
Have you asked your OS about pool walking? I was able to go in the pool a week after stitches came out, though I needed help getting into/out of the pool (no handrail on our steps).

I found the pool walking to be very beneficial....PT Lite.

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you're sleeping better these days and your strength and stamina is slowly increasing.
The holidays are fast approaching and I hope you enjoy celebrating with those you hold near and dear.
Wishing you all the best!
@Nanny7

Thank you Layla, I am doing well thank you, driving again and back to work. I am not liking the cold weather at all had a walk out when very cold and my leg felt uncomfortable for a while . Roll on spring

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back