TKR Wrong Sized Implant?

I’m so sorry that you‘re having such a bad time. :console2:

Treat your knee/leg gently, especially with the new swelling. As always, don’t do anything that hurts.

Please tell us the date of your MUA and we’ll add that to your signature. :flwrysmile:

So sorry you are having such a hard time :console2:but hopefully now you will find the light at the end of the tunnel and things will improve for you, in the meantime plenty :ice: nurse that knee, and elevate as much as you can to reduce the swelling xx

@DogTiredKnees between the anesthesia and the CPM, that is way overkill as well as nightmarish. After my easy-peasy MUA, I couldn’t understand why the procedure has such a bad rep. As patients I think we have the right to the minimum intervention necessary for a successful outcome.

Last edited:
I am, once again, several days behind in my reading! I am sure hoping you are doing much better, and Soon! You have been through so much. A UTI And a tooth infection, not fair. Hopefully they will get all your medications sorted out, & your nausea will be a thing of the past. Mine has finally pretty well subsided, although I still have a little now & then. Fingers crossed, my PICC line scheduled to come out next Monday, then several months of oral antibiotics. I have an appointment with my surgeon’s office Thursday.... I have some white things poking out of my incision. The Infectious Diseases Dr said to Not pull them out, but check with my surgeon. So, I’m a little nervous. Seems my body doesn’t like any kind of stitches. Here’s hoping we will both have some good results soon. I really feel bad for all that you’re going through. Just try to be kind to yourself.... it Will get better. I’m keeping you in my prayers. Take care

Week 14:

Still really struggling with my knee, following the MUA. Extension is worse than it was before the MUA and ROM is now 75 degrees on a good day.

I’ve found that sitting on a high chair and swinging my leg back and forth has helped a bit. Can anyone suggest ROM exercises other than heel slides? I find myself “cheating” with these and hitching my hip back, rather than bending my knee.

I’m still struggling with the pain medication which causes nausea and retching, and worry that because I can’t manage the pain successfully, it’s hampering my recovery. I’ve been referred for a colonoscopy as my GP is worried about the weight loss (caused, no doubt, by inability to tolerate the medication), vomiting and toilet issues.

Currently, the stomach issues are worse than the knee, and I’m feeling so wretched that I can’t seem to concentrate on anything. I know the Bonesmart mantra that my ROM is there and will improve by itself with daily activity and time, but I can’t help feeling that my knee will never become more flexible. I worry that i’m going to be left with this very stiff leg forever.

Many of us worried that we would not regain our ROM, but you will. It’s still early days. Don’t try too hard, just give it gentle bends.

I‘m sorry you‘re still so sick from the medications. I wish I had more to offer you. :console2:

Are you still icing and elevating? These can both help with the pain level and also help reduce the swelling that is hiding your ROM. Keep your activity level in check, try not to overdo, but do gently move around to keep “the juices flowing.”

Swinging your leg while sitting on a high chair is a good exercise. So is rocking back and forth with the pedals on an exercise bike or one of the small "pedalers" that are available can help. You also can put your foot on a skateboard and roll it out and in while sitting. Or just try to move your foot backwards underneath a chair when sitting. When doing heel slides, put a plastic bag under your foot to make the slide easier. You'll be less likely to lift up when doing the exercise.

Make sure your doctor (surgeon or GP) gives you medication to combat the nausea. It normally helps a lot.

I’m still struggling with the pain medication which causes nausea and retching
I can't take any of the heavy duty pain medication without anti-nausea drugs. Do ask for them. You are coping with enough recovering from surgery. Nausea just makes you miserable!

I’m so very sorry you are having a rough time! I had trouble with Tramadol,& couldn’t tolerate the opioids. I did hold off for a long time getting the anti nausea medication, but once I finally got it, it helped. My appetite was still “off”, & I lost 10 pounds or so, ( and, as my PT pointed out, most likely muscle, which hampered some of the exercises & progress), but it’s coming back since I’m off the IV antibiotics. But that anti nausea medication really did help. Wish I’d asked for it sooner. ( I can be a bit hard-headed ).

One exercise that I do is on our stairs, if you have a 2-story house. (moderators, please correct me if you disagree with this one, the PT. who first had me do this could be a bit aggressive on some of his exercises, but my local PT ok’d this one). I put my TKR foot on the second stair, grab the rails for support & gently move forward ( just till you feel the stretch, not pain)- 5 of these. I hold the position a few seconds. After the 5, I then extend my leg , hold for 30 seconds, again, not to point of pain, but a stretch. Then 5 more of the bends. In total, 3 stretches & 15 bends. Or maybe a small stool if you don’t have stairs. That has helped me some. I hope this is helpful. Also, my PT always stresses for me to tighten my thigh muscles as much as I can when I do the extension exercise where you lay down & extend your TKR leg raise it to the level of your other leg, which is bent. Hold briefly, then SLOWLY lower your TKR leg, all the time holding that thigh tight, & control the leg. It was hard at first, I really had to focus, but has become easier to do correctly. ( I Still have to focus! I’m easily distracted). I hope these might be of some help.

I feel so bad for what you’re going through, & I’ll be keeping you in my prayers, for sure. Oh, and ( again, moderators, please correct me if you disagree)...my thighs would ache sometimes from all the work they’re having to do, & I found if I put heat on them for a bit, it really helped. I kept it off my knee & scar, & they don’t ache now.... but I sure am reminded that those muscles in thigh, and calves are still weak. Finally getting to take a bath instead of shower was a Shock as I lowered myself into the tub! ☺️. Btw, my extension is still struggling to get there, but both my PT and my Dr assured me that it will get there. In fact, my Dr reminded me on my last visit that full recovery is generally a Year process. And he was pleased with the progress I do have, even though I’m sure he sees better & faster. And you have been through a lot, in addition to the TKR. No doubt, these little “ surprises “ along the way can slow down our progress. Don’t be hard on yourself or compare yourself to someone else. And remember my older sister’s Dr’s sage advice. : “ if you’re just a Little better each day, that is progress”. I remind myself of that every day, it has been a big help to me since my cleanout surgery. ( she is 80 & had fainted after surgery, had a concussion & broke several vertebrae in her back, it had helped her to remember this. She’s fine now)

Do take care, & take heart. I’ll be watching for your posts. You were one of the very first folks I saw on this forum, you, SusieQ, & Hawk2go... I always love your photo of your cute little dogs.

Thanks, @Jockette. I’m still icing and elevating every day. I‘m concerned about my ROM as I’m due to return to work at the end of January, but it’s a 2.5 train/bus journey each way, and at the moment there is no way I can face that! It’s only 2 days per week, but I still think it’s unrealistic of me to attempt it. I’m sure my GP will be happy to extend my sick note.

Thanks, @Jamie and @Jaycey I’ll try again with the anti nausea medication. The last lot I tried actually made me feel worse. I seem to be very sensitive to medication.

Thanks, @Catalien45 for your kind message :) I’ll certainly try your exercise suggestions, they are very helpful. I find that I keep cheating with the exercises, not intentionally, but I seem to unconsciously find subtle ways of making them easier.

I’m seeing an NHS physio and also a private physio, and they are both concerned about my lack of progress. Neither pushes me to pain, just discomfort, but I can’t help feeling that they are both slightly despairing. My next appointment with the surgeon is at the beginning of February, so I’ll see what he says.

I read posts here most days, but often find it difficult to comment, as everyone else seems to be making good progress. Your cheerfulness, despite all the setbacks you have had, is inspirational!

I‘m concerned about my ROM as I’m due to return to work at the end of January, but it’s a 2.5 train/bus journey each way, and at the moment there is no way I can face that! It’s only 2 days per week, but I still think it’s unrealistic of me to attempt it. I’m sure my GP will be happy to extend my sick note.
The end of January would be very early to go back to work since your recovery started over with your MUA. I couldn't have done that 2 days a week six weeks into recovery even without the tough commute.

FCBayern is right. There is a lot of trauma to the soft tissues that comes with an MUA. Your leg is usually manhandled pretty good in the process. For many people this translates into all new pain and swelling afterwards that can inhibit your ROM and take quite a while to resolve. Be sure you're treating your knee very gently and not pushing with either exercise or activity until the pain has lessened.

I'm so sorry to hear about the nausea you've been having. Can you try a different anti-nausea medication? I agree with others, late January is probably too soon to go back to work since you've re-set now with the MUA.

I was also going to suggest the stair stretch like @Catalien45 mentioned. It sounds like you've got some good choices for some stretches. Give yourself some grace too and rest, icing and elevation.....

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MaxiHound
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom