TKR Wrong Sized Implant?

Sorry to hear you are suffering with these things.
toothache is awful
I am 6 weeks post op and I can’t walk a step without discomfort of some degree. I walk and push through. Pain free walking is my dream

So sorry to hear of those infections.
I am so discouraged that I still have discomfort with slight limp with walking at 3 Mon out. I know that I am early in recovery but I can’t help how I feel! My husband keeps saying I just need to “walk it out” and loosen the tightness. Wish it worked that way!
I just don’t want to have to think about this knee all the time. Sorry I am a whiner today!

Thanks, @Susie-Q. It seems quite common to get UTIs following knee surgery from what I’ve read on the forums. It’s such a pain being allergic to penicillin! I seem to have problems with many other antibiotics too, I really dislike taking them!

Thanks also @hawk2go! Everything feels a bit relentless at the moment, but I’m sure it will pass. Just need a bit of positive thinking :)

Thanks @benne68 The antibiotics are soooo horrible! I’m only on a 3 day course, and can’t wait to finish. The nausea is overwhelming and I’m feeling very lightheaded. Walking will have to take a back seat for a few days. I hope you are now recovered from your UTI :)

Thanks @Cocopug. Your surgery was 2 days after mine, and I’m sorry to hear that you are struggling. I tell myself that 6 weeks is still very early days in our recovery and that better times are ahead.

Thanks @Sks1997. It’s such a hard recovery, isn’t it. And difficult for anyone else to understand unless they have been through it themselves. I too am tired of thinking about my knee before I consider doing anything. It seems to have taken over my life!

Thanks @Cocopug. Your surgery was 2 days after mine, and I’m sorry to hear that you are struggling. I tell myself that 6 weeks is still very early days in our recovery and that better times are ahead.

Thanks @Sks1997. It’s such a hard recovery, isn’t it. And difficult for anyone else to understand unless they have been through it themselves. I too am tired of thinking about my knee before I consider doing anything. It seems to have taken over my life!
I know exactly what you mean. I just want to forget this knee

It will happen.....there are times when walking around the house I forget my knee had surgery. It's only small snippets now but give it 6 months and it will feel like your knee and not a fake one.

7 weeks and 1 day:

Having a wobbly day today. The UTI didn’t clear with 3 days of antibiotics and so I have to take them for another 7 days :sad: I’m trying a different one this time, it’s Trimethoprim as the Nitrofurantoin really didn’t agree with me. The nausea is horrid along with toilet issues. Can’t wait to finish them. At least the tooth infection is getting better!

I finally found out what the extra incision (5 staples and stitches) is on my leg, a couple of inches below the main incision. Apparently it is where the navigation pin was. :shrug:

I am slightly concerned about my main incision. A tiny black scab has formed, at the very end of the incision. I’m not sure where it has come from, as it was completely smooth before. Should I be worried? There is no discharge. A small bruise has formed nearby too and I’ve been free of bruises for some time now. Any advice gratefully received.

A tiny black scab has formed, at the very end of the incision.
Hard to say without actually seeing the area. But this could be an internal stitch that has worked its way to the surface. It might be a good idea to have a nurse at your GP practice take a look.

Thanks, @Jaycey. Getting an appointment at my surgery is nigh on impossible, but I’ll get on the case.

A tiny black scab has formed, at the very end of the incision.
Hard to say without actually seeing the area. But this could be an internal stitch that has worked its way to the surface. It might be a good idea to have a nurse at your GP practice take a look.
This happened to me an internal stitch migrated upwards. I would get it checked out because mine became infected and had to be removed. Go and check incase. Good luck

Hi @DogTiredKnees, I’ve been reading about your struggles with the UTI and general recovery… I’m so sorry you’re having to contend with the other issues when a new knee really is enough!

I do hope you at least contact your surgery center, since, with a slow-healing UTI, you want the knee scab and possibly slipped stitch looked at… I would imagine if they knew of the infection already present, their option to get you looked at might increase in urgency?

Good for you to set limits on the physio and take care of and control your recovery! Hope you can hear my hands clapping from here in Oregon!

Thanks @Jaycey and @Cocopug. I managed to get an appointment with a nurse yesterday afternoon. She confirmed it was an errant stitch and removed it. She was certain that there was no infection :fingersx:

Thanks @BBCG for your kind words. I have other health issues, including MS and Pernicious Anaemia, so this on top has really taken its toll. However, I’m feeling a bit more positive today. My knee is still rigid, but the gentle heel slides and other stretches do seem to be helping. Not sure about the UTI, the antiobiotics finish on Tuesday and then I have to wait three days before taking in another urine sample. I’m looking forward to better times ahead :)

I'm so glad that it was only a stitch that was causing the scab. I know you are relieved.

@DogTiredKnees So glad you got in to see the nurse. Little issues like that can fester and become a real pain. Best to get them checked and dealt with so you can move on.

Just reading all your recent posts.... I am so glad at least Some of your challenges are being resolved! You were smart to have them look at that little scab. Looking back, that’s how my infected incision started out, I just thought it was a stubborn spot refusing to come off. I’m so glad they caught yours early on, avoiding more surgery. I’m currently recovering from that , & on 6 weeks of IV antibiotic via a Picc line. It’s been a setback, but, I’m fortunate to have in-home therapy, & a good therapist, probably 1 more week in home, then return to my local therapist, She is also very good. I’m struggling with the constant nausea ( low grade, but so irritating!) and lack of appetite. We’re wondering if it might be the antibiotic, as I am on Tylenol only.

I’m making tiny improvements daily, & trying to develop that “ patience muscle” ( seems to be a Very underdeveloped muscle overall, I notice...). I see regular advice on other posts referring to “ baby steps”. Trying to remember that term. I’m convinced my appetite will return ( I’ve always enjoyed eating, Mama was an incredible cook, & memories of favorite meals were in the “ lean times”, when she got very creative). I’m looking forward to cooking, creating , baking- and, eating- again. And all the other things I’ll be able to do. Without that awful bone-on- bone pain. Working on more walking today, recently read where that helps with extension. Still enjoying our Thanksgiving with family here, & actually enjoying some of the leftover salmon, rice & dressing our daughter put in the fridge for us. Tasted surprisingly good. So , little snippets of taste returning. Baby steps, tiny improvements daily. Sometimes it seems so slow, but then I see some folks who I have seen struggling, & now So much further along, & I am so encouraged! I’m hoping this post finds you just Little bit better today, the same tomorrow, & every day. They do mount up. Btw, I looked again - we are just one day apart on our TKR.... mine was Oct 6. So we are coming up on 8 weeks next week! So, moving along with our challenges, but getting there. Take care, I’ll be watching for your progress.

Thanks, @eaglemom. I did wonder if my leg is in the correct position on the Lounge Doctor. I have short legs :wink: I’m trying to get the back of the knee on the first ridge of the LD, as it appears in the photos. Perhaps this is what I’m doing wrong!

@DogTiredKnees .... in regard to the Lounge Doctor, normally you can use it as much as you like. If you have short legs, be sure and order the one that is made for smaller people. The distance between the curves is critical for a good "fit" with your leg length. Some of our members have indicated that the Lounge Doctor was a bit uncomfortable in the early days following surgery, so this may have been the problem when using yours.

Week 11:

It’s been a while since my last update. I was incredibly miserable with a UTI and gum infection, horrible nausea from antibiotics and my knee became almost secondary to this.

My ROM was pretty terrible, and although I could weightbear and walk up to 6000 steps per day, at best, it was 40 degrees. My physiotherapist was very good and listened to me and did not try to force my knee to bend. However, she said that she could feel on manipulating it that it would not bend beyond a certain point. It was stuck.

I finally got an appointment with my OS and he immediately got me back into hospital for the dreaded MUA. The procedure itself I know nothing about, as I had another spinal anaesthetic and sedation. Following this, I was put on a CPM machine for 24 hours, which was quite possibly the worst experience of my life. It left my leg the size of an elephant, and was extremely painful.

I’m almost a week in recovery, and having the same problems with nausea and vomiting due to the medication. I’m trying to cut back, but it‘s a fine line.

However, the good news is that I have achieved 90 degrees ROM, and feel that I’m finally making some progress. Still baby steps, and feeling pretty terrible most days because of the persistent nausea and retching. I’ve lost 12 kilos as my appetite is non existent, but that’s probably a good thing for my knees :wink:

I’ve been reading the posts, just haven’t felt motivated to comment, but I have followed all the positive stories with interest. I wish everyone continued success on their recovery journey.

Congratulations on your increased ROM! It sounds like you needed to get an MUA. So sorry about the nausea and loss of appetite......

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back