BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Dogchick's "Hippy" Adventure

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by dogchick, Apr 29, 2018.

1. dogchick

dogchick senior

United States United States
    I ended up leaving work for the pm. I am just having problems walking around, and sitting in the chairs isn’t much better. It’s both hip and lower back pain on the same side as my hip. Aleve isn’t helping. Even sitting here in my comfy recliner it is throbbing. Time to do some icing. If this doesn’t convince me that I definitely need hip replacement, I don’t know what will. Thanks for listening.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

It took care of 95% of mine...ILL TAKE IT!
    We are glad you are here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. dogchick

dogchick senior

Good Morning,
    It is a gloomy rainy day here in Connecticut. The hip and lower back pain is still high. I did go to work and immediately took 2 Aleve hoping to stay ahead of the pain a bit. We will see how that works. I saw a post on Facebook this morning. I feel like it spoke to me, so I hope it’s ok to post it here.
    9884E020-EFD5-4684-B2F5-01EB9C0EAB67.jpeg
    Sometimes it’s hard to keep a positive outlook, so this is a nice reminder. 6 weeks, 5 days until my surgery. I had a thought this morning...with the implants, is my weight going to change? I know bone is designed to be very strong but lightweight, so it made me think about a possible weight change. Hope you all have a beautiful day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Mojo333

If like to blame it on my new hips but very little change as I understand...less than a pound. They just replace ball and insert the stem replacing very little bone.
    I don't feel my legs being heavier.
    I do keep in mind that the human head weighs about 8 lbs and as there is nothing we can do about that, I subtract it!:loll:

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Mojo333

Before surgery, I used a heating pad to soothe hips.
    After, ice and more ice:ice:

6. dogchick

dogchick senior

I was told by my chiropractor to use ice for arthritis, so that’s what I’ve been using. It helps a little, but only while the ice is on. I might try some heat and see how that works. The Aleve is just taking a bit of the edge off this morning, but that’s it.

7. Mojo333

May have just been a placebo effect, but soothing for me.

8. dogchick

dogchick senior

@Mojo333 I bet the heat felt really good to all the sore muscles for sure. I might try it, and then ice after to take down the inflammation of the arthritis. :ok: Funny little story: My students are in the Agricultural education program at the high school, in animal science, so lots of anatomy and medical type terms, and also in Human biology. After seeing my OS, I went back to both those teachers, and excitedly said, “Thanks to the lessons in these classes, I actually knew what he was talking about when he used medical terms, that was exciting!” :snork: One of the things I learned was that “itis” means inflammation of, so arthritis is inflammation which means you want to ice. But I still get mixed up with injuries, whether I’m supposed to ice or heat. :heehee:

9. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @dogchick
    We're about to enter the dreaded tornado season here also. Watches, warnings, touch downs. I've never witnessed one and frankly don't care too. They definitely have the ability to devastate an area in just a matter of seconds. Glad you're safe and were unaffected!

I didn't take much in the way of pain relief myself. An Aleve here and there and that's about it. I wasn't in excruciating pain but a constant dull ache. I did get stabbing pains on ocassion but not too often. I don't like what I read about NSAID's so I chose to avoid them as much as possible. Heat worked for me over the last weeks as it seemed to be the only thing to bring me relief at night, in bed, before falling asleep. Try it! It found it comforting more than anything.

Pain is draining both physically and mentally. You aren't moving freely and naturally. Your body is tense as a protective mechanism and due to loss of flexibility. I believe it greatly contributes to fatigue.

Please don't feel you are projecting a "woe is me attitude" we understand, we've all been there, we're here for you and glad you found us! We'll help in any way we can. Offering advice, opinions and encouragement. They'll be no shortage of support here.

I also suffered some back issues pre-op which have almost completely diminshed since my surgery. I hope you find the same after your THR.

Here's a little piece on the weight of prosthetics -
    http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/implants-average-weight-of-hip-and-knee-prostheses.5249/

Thank you for sharing the FB post reminding all that life is a blessing. It's easy to lose sight of and a nice reminder to begin the day with. I hope your day is great!

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. dogchick

dogchick senior

@Layla I am not a big fan of taking any of those pain relief pills. I would rather try other forms of relief, whether it’s ice, heat, essential oils, a tens unit, or just sleeping it off, or even chiropractic care or acupuncture to help with pain. But sometimes none of that is feasible and you just need to get through the day. That’s when I will take something. The pain has to be pretty significant for me to take something. The only exception to that, ironically, is whenever I’ve had surgery, I pop them right on in exactly the hour I’m supposed to without it completely wearing off to stay on top of the pain. I think surgery pain is the worst, and I’m such a baby with it. Lol!

I think you are right about pain making your body feel drained. I never needed naps everyday until a few years ago when I tripped and fell, herniated a few disks and I feel also did something to my hip at the same time, causing the arthritis to amp up. Thank you for the link, I will check it out in a bit. I’m glad you liked the quote, I thought it was a good one to share with others here. :flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. anny

anny graduate

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi @dogchick ....rule of thumb my physiotherapist gave me years ago was ice immediately after injury to reduce inflammation, then when it's less acute, heat to relax and soothe the muscles. Seems to work quite well....have to say I prefer the heat phase to icepacks tho :bawl:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. dogchick

dogchick senior

Did anybody else watch the Royal Wedding this morning? I’m still watching all the commentary. Of course, I was bawling all the way through, I’m such a sentimental, romantic fool. Princess Diana was only a year older than me, and we share a first name, so I have always had such a weird strong connection with her. I was pregnant with my youngest son when she died....I was inconsolable and devasted, especially for her boys, so it almost feels like it was one of my boys getting married. Strange but true.

Anyway, more to the subject, the hip was a little better yesterday. I took a short walk with Kalia (my dog). Took some pre-prom pictures with one of my students. We can be quite silly together. But just that little bit of movement made me quite sore. I didn’t do too much, I usually know when I need to stop, but I pushed it a little bit. Came home and iced for awhile.
    6A248A9B-52CE-4F2A-B4E3-C118002FC7B9.jpeg 18DFE15E-CEA9-4B4A-A6D5-C3B19DCD6F41.jpeg F9B5CB5C-6E2D-4A3D-BEA9-6F6D6994D163.jpeg

I couldn’t sleep last night though. Woke up around 1:15 am and didn’t go back to sleep until after 3:30am. Woke up again around 4:45am when hubby got up to get ready for work. During my awake time, I was reading @danabanana ’s recovery thread and being thoroughly inspired, entertained, and determined to have a good sense of humor as much as possible when I am in recovery. Thank you for that, I didn’t comment on your thread but I was literally laughing my butt off at some moments and rooting for you in others. That sweet grand baby was definitely a highlight. Hoping that your recovery continues to advance.

Plans today are to clean up my messy bedroom to be ready for post surgery, and clear off one of the kitchen counters that seems to have a magically growing pile off stuff on it. Wishing you all a happy Saturday.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. dogchick

dogchick senior

Oops! I forgot to say Thank you to @anny for the information on icing and heating! I agree that the heat is preferable to the ice packs. :ice:

14. anny

anny graduate

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi dogchick.....you both look so cute in those photos......love graduation balls, my daughters both had them.....when I left school we had a speech from our (scary!) headmistress :sad: Glad the heat is helping, tho you do sometimes get to the point when nothing helps, it's always preferable to be cosied up to a heat pad than an ice block :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mojo333

Aahhh...you can tell you have a true affinity for your students and they for you.
    Glad you may be getting some relief with some heat.
    Hope your Sunday is peaceful!

16. Layla

Fun photos.
    Yep, watched the royal wedding. Exciting, romantic, beautiful!
    Hope you find ways to stay comfortable as you await July 3rd.
    It will be here before you know it....
    A great holiday weekend to you!
    @dogchick

17. dogchick

dogchick senior

@Mojo333 Thank you. This particular group of girls that I work with have just found a special place in my heart. Especially the one pictured, she is one I will definitely stay in touch with after graduation. She always calls me her school mom. :roseshwr: The weather has been better here the last few days, so my hip is doing better.

@Layla I can’t wait to get the surgery done and over with, but I’m also feeling nervous about it. I don’t know if anyone else felt this way, but I feel like I’m “nesting” like you do when you are pregnant. :heehee: I’ve been getting busy cleaning up little hot spots around the house and cleaning up the big firestorms in the house that seem to grow during the school year while I’m working. :snork: Hope you enjoy the holiday weekend too. Hoping for SUNNY weather to enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Layla

Yes, I did it all!
    I was a nut job. I cleaned out all my drawers in case worst case scenario played out. Tossed old undies, :heehee:
    thought of writing letters to my kids. I was a wreck! It's normal. Miserable, but normal.
    Wish I could take it away, truly I do but know we're with you and will be the entire way.
    I'll bet you do great! Busying yourself is the best defense. Squeeze out the anxiety the best you can. Try to find ways to laugh. That always helps me.
    @dogchick

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. dogchick

dogchick senior

@Layla Oh my goodness!! I thought I was the only one morbid enough to want to write letters to my kids and my husband! :rotfl: I also thought of cleaning out a ton of stuff in the house, “just in case”, but I think I’m too lazy for that. LOL! I did do a really major clean out of old clothes and other stuff hanging out in my room this past weekend while watching the royal wedding. :rofsign: Thanks for the laugh, that was great!

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Bone-obo

Bone-obo senior

I resemble that remark - I spent the morning assailing the wistaria that constantly threatens to overtake our lawn, and after I get over the side effects of that, we're gonna take the cars out for a good scrub. Tomorrow and into the weekend, rinse and repeat, until I run out of time or the the nest is ready. Then Wednesday I can bring home the new baby hip.

By the way, loved the pictures!

• Like Like x 1