BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Dogchick's "Hippy" Adventure

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by dogchick, Apr 29, 2018.

1. dogchick

dogchick senior

United States United States
    Hello all you wonderful people!
    I just thought I'd go ahead and introduce myself. I've been lurking about for a little while until I was able to finally get the email confirmation to confirm it. Yay! It's now working and I can post.

Ok, so I am 53 and I'm a mom to 2 adult "boys", ages 23 and 20. Also wife to my Hubby. We have a beautiful chocolate lab/Catahoula mix girl who makes all our lives so very joyful. We also will soon have 3 older chickens, which we would like to add some new chicks too, once my "Hippy" adventure is over. I work at our local high school as a special education paraprofessional. (Think, walking on concrete all day long) :chinstroke:

My hip journey began probably back in 2008. To make a long story short, I tripped over some boxes at work and ended up herniating a couple of disks, including the S1. I also believe that it is when all my hip issues began, although workers comp paid for treatment of my spine, I didn't realize that maybe my hip was involved too, but I'm almost positive now because I started getting arthritis not long afterwards. Fast forward a few years, I've had cortisone shots in the past to help with the hip pain, but opted to forgo anymore of those. I visited an orthopedic surgeon in 2012, hoping to find out what was going on. He saw some arthritis going on and told me if I lost 20 lbs, it would help my hip. (This at a time when losing weight was all but impossible for me, I tried and tried and nothing seemed to work.) I left the office very deflated.

Fast Forward to this year. The pain in my hip is not being controlled by any OTC meds. I had been walking my dog for 3-4 miles at a time, and recently, the farthest I could walk was about 1-1/2 miles. I know that doesn't sound bad, but I would hurt so much even after that, I had trouble getting down to a sit, then getting back up again. Standing in classrooms was excruciating :boohoo: Just standing to cook a quick meal or do dishes was bad. :sigh: Then, I ended up with Frozen Shoulder and had to visit the same OS a couple of months ago (He's the best one in the area). I wanted to discuss both my shoulder and my hip, but the shoulder first since I couldn't move it. That is now getting resolved, so a couple of weeks ago, I had another appointment for my hip. I told him, "You told me to lose 20lbs last time we discussed my hip....well, I lost 50!" (insert smiley with tongue sticking out here) Of course he was happy to hear it, He took x-rays of both my hips. My left one has a very long bone spur, which scraped off the cartilage on the femoral head. My right hip also has a bone spur, but not as big and it's not really at a point where it needs intervention at all. He gave me 3 choices.
    1) Live with it and take Aleve everyday for pain (Was doing that, not really working for me)
    2) Take some of the pressure off my hip by using a cane (Also, wouldn't work for me at work, or when walking the dog)
    3) Total Hip Replacement Surgery

I bet you can guess what I chose. But I wanted to discuss it with the hubs before giving my decision, so this past Friday, 4/27/18, I went back to the office and we scheduled my surgery for July 3, 2018. I feel like I am too young to be held back from things I enjoy and that keep me sane (walks with the dog) so I thought that the hip surgery in the long run would be the better choice for me. Tomorrow, the hospital is supposed to contact me to schedule all my pre-op stuff. Sorry this got so long. But there's my story, I'll add as my adventure continues.

Oh! Wait...I have a question. What is this "log leg" that I have been reading about?

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  2. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi and .:welome:
    I had double hip replacement at the age of 53 and am about to be at one year post op on Tuesday.
    I am the operations director of a Food Bank that is housed in the wings of an old elementary school.
    Think standing on concrete all day.:heehee::heehee:
    My hip surgery has rejuvenated my health and spirit.
    Log leg is what some of us have experienced post op usually for a short period where leg does not seem to want to take signals from the brain about what it needs to do.:shrug:
    I'm guessing like it is in shock.
    Mine walked fine, but didn't want to pick up and get on the bed or in car for some weeks.
    Temporary, and can be scary if you aren't aware it can happen.
    Some wonderful bonesmarties warned me about it, so was less of a worry.:)
    Let us know if you have a surgery date and we will add it for you..
    Glad to have you aboard!:yahoo:

• Like Like x 1
  3. NMRJS

NMRJS new member

I'm so happy you made the decision to do it! I don't have dogs but I have 3 children, 10, 6, and 3 and they want to go go go! It will be so nice to play with them and run around again. I can't even sit cross legged on the floor anymore. I'm done with my pre-op stuff except the joint class at the hospital I need to do on May 11. The log leg intrigues me too. I suppose it feels like a numb heavy leg? When I first read it all I could think of was "log lady" from Twin Peaks. Haha. Keep posting your thoughts and adventures because it helps so many people. We're all doing this together. I'm so glad I found this site. Take care

• Like Like x 1
  4. dogchick

dogchick senior

Thank you @Mojo333 I have a surgery date of July 3, 2018. I wasn't sure what I should put in my signature, so I didn't put anything yet. LOL! Looks like we have the whole concrete thing in common (as well as our age :snork: ) I usually end up walking at least a mile by the end of my day in the school everyday, so lots of walking.

5. dogchick

dogchick senior

@NMRJS Looks like you are almost at your surgery date! Wow, 3 kids to keep up with, that's a lot of work. (But worth it, right?) Oh my goodness!! Twin Peaks Log Lady!! :rotfl: I thought I was the only one that watched that show. LOL! I believe it is now on Netflix. Might have to start watching it again. I don't know if I should mention what I thought of when I heard the term "Log leg"....lets just say that the picture in my head was a leg filled with....ummm....feces. :snork::snork::snork:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Mojo333

Loads of walking, by the time mine was replaced
    loads of limping:nah:
    And pain! And lack of sleep or comfortable positions to sit or lay.
    I have never regretted my surgery even with the "too young" thoughts.
    These are the best years of our
    lives.
    I have a 22 year old daughter and a 25 year old son and a 14 Yr old Shihtzu.
    Lots in common.
    You will find the forum full of helpful folks with the wisdom of experience of joint replacement at the ready to comfort, advise, or sympathize.
    Yay for getting rid of horrid Hip pain.:egypdance:

7. dogchick

dogchick senior

@Mojo333
    I have been reading and often have seen messages from you, so I look forward to your wisdom and experience. :) Oh, the sleeping...yes! I cannot even try to sleep on my left side, mostly because of my hip, but more recently because of my shoulder as well. Can't wait to be able to sleep on whatever side I want to.
    My dog's name is Kalia (prounounced Kah-LEE-ya). (Attaching a picture of her) She is a 5yr. old Lab, that still has the energy of a younger Lab. LOL! She keeps me young for sure. She is the reason I was able to lose 50lbs. So she is good for my health. I keep wondering if the doctor could write a prescription for me that says I have to have her with me all the time. :heehee: Also, both my boys are single and live at home, which is great, they are very supportive and have already offered to cook and do whatever I need them to do after surgery. :thumb: kaliacathollow.jpg
    kaliarecliner.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  8. Mojo333

Aaawwww:tada:

9. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@dogchick ,
    Welcome to BoneSmart, your dogs are beautiful.

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
    Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?
    Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?
    Score chart: how bad is my arthritic hip/knee

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
    Stories of amazing hip recoveries

• Like Like x 1
  10. sharonslp

sharonslp FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi Dogchick. I too worked in a school setting my entire working life. My OA started flaring up when I was 47; I've never made the connection to those concrete floors before. But it certainly could have been a contributing factor. I held off on THRs until my early 60s....made possible by Celebrex when things got worse. But I hated being dependent on any medication; that was a big factor in making my decision to finally get the hips replaced. With hindsight (many of us say this!) I waited several years too long.

Here's what my THRs gave me back: dancing; walking with a normal limp-free gait; getting down on the floor with grandchildren...and getting back up without help; the joy of traveling again; living free of medication; sleeping on my side again...either side. Life is good.

I'll be watching your journey to see what you get to reclaim for yourself. There is life after log leg! :)

Sharon

• Like Like x 2
  11. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Welcome to BoneSmart! Congratulations on scheduling your THR. You won't regret this amazing surgery. That first step post op is great - no more hip pain.

I look forward to following your journey.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. dogchick

dogchick senior

@Pumpkln Thank you for all the links! And for the welcome I've read through most of them, can't wait to read the amazing hip stories.

@sharonslp Thank you for the warm welcome. Looks like we have a school background in common. I can't wait to get my long walks back, and my ability to stand and cook/bake for longer periods of time. (Not looking forward to having to do more dishes though) :heehee: Do the last 3 letters in your username indicate your profession?

@Jaycey Thank you for the welcome! And thank you for wanting to follow me. I do tend to ramble. Most online places I am usually "JustRambling" for a reason. :snork: I think that might have been taken so I had to choose a different username.

13. dogchick

dogchick senior

On Friday, at my OS visit, I got a bunch of reading material with the instructions to read it over the weekend and write down any questions I have because on Monday (today) I will get a call from the hospital to set up all my pre-op appointments. What you don't see in the picture is the several papers that are under the 1st paper that is on top of the guidebook. LOL! I'm a good and diligent student and read the papers and the guidebook cover to cover, highlighting key points/written notes. LOL! Too bad I wasn't that diligent when I was in high school.
    readingguide.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. sharonslp

sharonslp FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Dogchick, the initials are just my initials. I was a school counselor, at various times elementary, middle school, and high school; and I was an 8th grade English teacher.

Here's a good source for questions you may want to ask. You already have your surgeon, so scroll down for other questions that you may want to ask about.
    Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis

15. dogchick

dogchick senior

@sharonslp How funny! I JUST looked at that link in someone else’s thread. I have some more questions to ask now. Lol! Thank you for posting it because I may want to get back to it eventually.

• Like Like x 1
  16. dogchick

dogchick senior

Hello,
    My OS office called today to tell me they are sending me a packet that has some dates for appointments. So my post-op appt. is July 16th. I’ve been registered for Joint Academy for June 18th. I asked about the prescription for Iron, Folic acid, and Colace because I was told I should start taking it a month before surgery, but I didn’t get a prescription. I didn’t know if he was calling it in to my pharmacy, or what. Well, apparently, I did have it in that packet of papers he gave me with all the instructions, I didn’t realize it was an actual prescription. Lol! So, things are beginning to come together now. Yay!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mojo333

Bye bye hip pain!:yes!:

• Like Like x 1
  18. dogchick

dogchick senior

Hello Hippies!
    Today I have a couple of questions. First, I need to buy some sneakers. I’d like to get something that will work well for after surgery. I will have a long shoe horn to help, but should I get a pair that has no laces like the picture below? My concern is that the shoe could loosen up and keep slipping off my heel.
    28127F38-F7A8-4936-95CF-8DF922F7592D.jpeg
    Or should I get regular lace-up sneakers which tend to last longer and use these type of laces that you don’t have to tie seen in picture below.
    946C08ED-4EE5-47FC-8E7E-1335212DA551.jpeg
    My other question is about a cane. Ideally, I would like a foldable cane because once I’m at work, I don’t want it to be a tripping hazard in the classroom. But I also want to make sure it is sturdy enough to handle 200lbs. I found this one at Walmart and want to know if anybody had any experience with it?
    46425EF3-555E-40E1-9588-9AAAEE2F7E14.jpeg
    Thanks for any input you can give me.

19. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @dogchick
    Wondering if you noticed this thread in the Social Room, under Community, at the top of the page, underneath the blue header. It may help.
    https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/shoes-for-recovery.42383/
    I've found Clarks, Sketchers and Vionic all have shoes that look normal, fashionable
    not old lady or orthopedic looking. I have purchased styles from each brand.

I didn't use a foldable cane. I'm sure they're sturdy enough but I felt safer with a regular cane.

I have a long shoe horn too and forget about it. You most likely will in time also. Once in a while I use it because I've caved in the backs of my slip on's from slipping them on, without putting my foot completely in and shuffling across the garage floor with a trash bag. When will I learn? :hairpulling: Probably never :heehee:

Hope you have a great rest of the week!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. dogchick

dogchick senior

@Layla Thank you! I had not seen that thread. I read it and got some good ideas that I will look into. I feel like my brain is on hyper speed. I feel like I obsessively think about my surgery, what I need to do now, what I’ll need to do after.....etc. :snork: I think my family is already sick of hearing about it. :oyvey:

• Friendly Friendly x 1