THR Dog Lovers Recovery

Doglover7

Country
United States United States
I made it :) Wasn't as bad as I had worked it up in my mind, so far. Had alot of nausea and vomiting so delayed my getting home by hours. Finally ate some Ramen noodles and a peanut butter sandwich. Hubby works nights and is exhausted, can't get myself comfortable to sleep but I'm exhausted too. Trying to figure out my pain meds as they gave me oxycodone tramadol Tylenol and mobic. My poor stomach.

Hello and Welcome to Recovery. I’m sorry you’ve had a rough start. Please contact your surgeon if you’re not understanding your dosage schedule. I will leave our Recovery Guidelines with best wishes as you begin healing. I hope you’re feeling better in the morning!
As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Here is a week-by-week guide

6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Congratulations @Doglover7 . You are on the other side!
May I suggest that you read those articles that Layla left you several times, I felt very comforted by reading them.
Plus they are full of good advice. :yes:

Hopefully you are able to snag some sleep, it can be hard to achieve over the first several days/nights.

Anyone up? Wondering if elevating my leg while sleeping is a good idea? Finally read the article on elevation and it shows the 3 pillows. I am doing that now and it feels pretty good

Hi @Doglover7,

Anyone up?
Yup, I am in Hong Kong, so with the time difference, I am hours away from my bedtime!! I had a THR on my left leg on 2 June and am now around the 3 week post-op mark:)

Wondering if elevating my leg while sleeping is a good idea?
For the first week back home, I did elevate my leg when sleeping at night (in fact legs as I bought a wedge elevation cushion that supports both legs.
I also attached ice-gel packs to my hip occasionally when I felt pain in the middle of the night.

Hope you get a good night's rest!:friends:

I’m up. But that’s because I’m a night owl. Greetings from NYC. My 3 month anniversary will be July 5, right THR posterior approach. I had an exceptionally rapid and easy recovery and wish you the same. Agree on keeping legs elevated at night if that’s comfortable. I managed some back sleeping but I switched to left side very quickly. I had both a large body pillow and a pillow with a small scooped insert for between my legs, bought on Amazon and very helpful. Same for the pillow for leg elevation. I had very little pain, never took opioids. Ice is your new best friend. I’m back to my full schedule, I sometimes forget I had surgery!

Thats wonderful to hear. My biggest concern now is my operated leg is longer. It also wants to turn inward i can straighten it so maybe that will work itself out. Had more nausea last night but it finally stopped without me vomiting. Cold sweat. I think its all the meds and the spinal? This is going to take awhile to get back to me. I can't feel anything that feels like a fake ball yet feels natural. Of course its numb from the ice.

:wave:@Doglover7
Glad to see you on The Healing Side!:ok:
The anaesthesia does cause some wonky after effects....including nausea and cold sweats and yes, it can take a few days to work out of your system.
My biggest concern now is my operated leg is longer.
Many new hippies have this feeling and get concerned but likely it is perceived vs actual so try not to worry.
Really early days, friend.:console2:

Here is some info from our library regarding LLD.

I can't feel anything that feels like a fake ball yet feels natural. Of course its numb from the ice.
I never felt like I had a fake hip and still don't.
Icing is definitely the best thing for new hippies.:ice:

Lots of healing happening So try to go with the flow for now.

All Temporary was my Mantra !

There is a lot of info on here about leg length differential, limping and gait. I did not have these issues but you’ll get lots of help here. I do know that your leg may feel longer but it may not be. The nausea is likely from the anesthesia, that needs to work itself out of your system. I always find both diet ginger ale and camomile or ginger tea to help. My surgeon had me on aspirin for 6 weeks and prescribed a drug to take prior to the aspirin to coat my stomach. Call your surgeon’s office if you have drug questions. I took Celebrex also for 6 weeks and extra strength Tylenol, that was all I needed. Hang in there. The first week isn’t fun but the end result is worth it.

It also wants to turn inward, I can straighten it so maybe that will work itself out.
It will work itself out. I had the opposite of you, external rotation, and was assured it would slowly resolve as my body adjusted to the prosthetic, which it did. Sorry to hear about the nausea. I hope you feel better as the day progresses. :console2:

Same. Forgot about this. I also had external rotation. Resolved on its own. I did try an ankle brace for a short while to give it a bit of support but honestly I think it did not do much.

I took Tylenol this am but no oxy or tramadol they told me not to take 2 opiods but use as needed. Thinking maybe the oxy is stronger use that at night for Sleeping? But I know it can cause breathing issues so maybe during the day would be better. PT is coming today I will call after they leave.

Heard from the nurse said to take tramadol and oxy 1 hour apart but since the tramadol is making me a bit woosy and she said I was kinda puny before surgery if I don't need it dont take it..PT has made it sore now. Just took some Tylenol and icing. I felt great this am, kinda tired now. Guess it comes in waves?

Dog lover, unfortunately I also has nausea for at least 2 weeks. And everything just tasted and smelled horrible! Even the smell of my own pee (hourly I might add) made me gag. I was able to stop my narcotic at 2 weeks and these slowly abated. Now at 5 weeks, my coffee and food once again are wonderful! You will get there!

Nausea stopped this am felt like I might vomit but it stopped. Nothing the rest of the day. This am started out great then PT came so not sure if thats why its hurting tonight or just was going to anyway. So decided I better take the oxy before bed. Its swelling a bit more but I guess thats expected at 36 hours post op. Overall still not horrible, hoping the 3 day pain I have read here doesn't come tomorrow.

I know they want me taking the Tylenol non stop regardless of pain. I also have tramadol to use 1 hour after oxy. It makes me so woozy though.

I’m happy to read the nausea stopped. That must be a relief?
hoping the 3 day pain I have read here doesn't come tomorrow.
Please don’t brace yourself for this, it truly doesn’t happen for everyone. Days Three and Four were no more worse for me than the days preceding or immediately following. Keep up with rest, elevation and ice often. Take a walk for five minutes every couple hours. This is normally achieved with a trip to the bathroom or kitchen for a snack or drink. If the prescribed meds are making you uncomfortable as in dizzy / dazed, you may want to co tact your surgeon’s office and allow them to adjust your meds.
I hope today is a good one!

Be careful about PT exercises of any type this early on. Many fall into the cycle of needing pain meds to do PT and then pain meds after PT because of the pain it causes. There's a lot of PT belief that you have to do exercises to recover or you'll never recover and they profess no pain no gain. Most of us on here will tell you that most of it is only causing unnecessary pain. I learned a lot with my first THR and my recovery for my 2nd in the first weeks consisted of ankle pumps, butt squeezes and walks to the bathroom.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Hip4life
    Staff member since January 6, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member