BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

Does your new hip set off alarms at the airport?

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by CAHippie, Feb 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CAHippie

CAHippie junior member

United States United States
    Here's why I'm asking this question. My surgery is scheduled for 4 March 2014. My granddaughter lives in Nevada will be graduating from high school in early June. Going to the graduation has become a family event. Me, my parents, and one brother are flying to the event. Here's the
    "kicker" . . . I will be a couple months post op, my brother has already had a hip replacement, and mom has a heart defibrillator. Between the three, we could totally freak out other passengers with our spare parts going through security if we set of alarms. I'll call the airline beforehand, just wondered if anyone had any issues or experience with getting through airport security.

2. tollertwins

tollertwins member

yup....pat down every time unless the airport has the x-ray scanner things.

some airports may have their sensitivities lower than others, but apparently not the ones I frequent.

3. alexthecat

alexthecat MODERATOR Administrator

There's a huge thread about it here:
    http://bonesmart.org/forum/index.php?threads/2270/
    I won't rehash it, except to say that it's really not a big deal. Lots of people get pulled aside for extra screening for various reasons. Just be sure to allow a little extra time for screening before your flight.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  4. cnydutch

cnydutch senior

i have flown to florida from NY 2 different times in the past few months. (over a year post op)
    first flight out of Syracuse i was pulled aside, and got the hand pat down and screening.
    on the way home the airport had the stand up xray machine, no problem, it didn't see the implants.
    this past trip 3 weeks ago i walked thru security at syracuse without the pat down. can't imagine
    what was different. again coming home they have the stand up xray, again no issue with that.
    maybe they do change sensitivity based on volume or threat levels????
    either way, it's not really a problem, they just pat you down with their hands and it takes about
    3 minutes.

5. ARHip

ARHip senior

All the time. The pat-down is now just a part of the airport ritual. It is amusement for my family!

6. AndisMom

AndisMom member

I travel every week for work with a knee replacement and will soon with my new hip. All you have to do is to look at the screening device that the airport has. The older, smaller versions are simply metal detectors and our replacement parts will send them into orbit. You just have to speak up and fell a TSA agent that you have metal implants and they will either direct you to the body imaging type of scanner or do a hand pat-down...
    No one I have encountered wants to see the cards that some doctors provide...they are so used to seeing passengers with these issues they know how to handle it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.