BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Does the type of hip surgery matter?

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by goblue61, Dec 23, 2018.

1. goblue61

goblue61 junior member

United States United States

My son had ACL surgery a few years back and we have a Breg Ice machine that we purchased since it was almost the same cost to rent. I did not know there was a hip attachment. I looked online and found a gel pack but not the attachment that would be needed to hook up the machine. I will definitely ask at my pre op tomorrow. That machine was great for the swelling after my son had surgery.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  2. Eman85

Eman85 graduate

My machine has the 2 hoses and a disconnect to change attachments. I think I got the knee one with mine. It was great to freeze 4 water bottles instead of ice. I kept spares frozen and I could swap them out myself while I was home alone.

3. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Won't be long and Bye Bye hip pain @goblue61
    2019 will be sweet!

4. SelfHelp

SelfHelp junior member

Breg makes 3 types of Cold Therapy machines with an electric water pump that force cold water thru the pad, the Polar Care Cube, the Polar Care Kodiak and the VPULSE. The VPULSE is their latest machine and only oneothat has 2 Compression Pads that go around your calfs and massages them to reduce chance of DVT. Unfortunate each of the 3 Breg Cold Therapy machines has its own set of Pad, including Hip Pad, they are not interchangeable.
    Comparison of several machines: https://www.sourceortho.net/cold-therapy-comparisons/
    Breg VPULSE https://www.dme-direct.com/cothera-vpulse-cold-therapy-pads-parts-accessories
    Breg Polar Care WrapOn Hip Pad https://www.shop-orthopedics.com/Breg_WrapOn_Pad_Hip_p/04750.htm
    Breg IntelliFlo Pad - Hip https://www.shop-orthopedics.com/Breg_WrapOn_IntelliFlo_Pad_Hip_p/10280.htm
    BREG 'C00013 Vpulse, Thermal, Hip Pad

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  5. Eman85

Eman85 graduate

Mine is the Polar Care Cube and has the pad shown with it. I didn't have the wrap around deal and really didn't need it. I would move the pad around as it didn't just hurt in 1 spot and not just on the hip. I moved it all around the hip, down the thigh and on the knee especially as the pain moved as I walked more. And yes, the pain moves around a lot!

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Best of luck tomorrow!
    I'm excited for you, you're going to love the result.
    Consider starting a thread on the Recovery side today while you're still clear headed.
    You'll get well wishers over there and we'll be able to leave the Recovery Guidelines for you to browse before surgery. Wishing you comfort as you await tomorrow!
    @goblue61

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. goblue61

goblue61 junior member

Layla, thank you for best wishes. All went well on Tuesday and was discharged on Wednesday. Minimal pain and so happy I had the surgery and ready for the recovery period.

I will post my progress on the recovery side along with my fellow "hippies"

• Like Like x 1
  8. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Wonderful news! So happy to hear all went well and you're already home.
    I'll leave the Recovery Guidelines here for you to peruse, but please start a thread on the Recovery side when you're settled in and have time so we can follow your progress. You'll find a lot of encouragement and support there. A peaceful evening to you!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. Here is a week-by-week guide to

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each, member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @goblue61