Does cold weather affect how your new hip feels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jls0113

I'm wondering if this awful cold much of the US is experiencing is being felt in any of your new joints? Since I still ice my hip from the outside to help inflammation, would the cold weather have an icing/anti-inflammatory effect from the inside out if you were out long enough for the cold to penetrate? If so, I may have to go sit out on the deck for a spell!

You'd be a pretty cool cookie if the cold from the air penetrated enough to reach your new hip joint!!! :hehe:

I don't believe there is any impact from the cold in terms of your new joint. You need to stay with the icing....it's for the soft tissue.

Does have a tendency to make your incision site ache a bit, tho but!

I wondered this. A colleague of mine with a HR has said if he is in snow he feels the cold to his bone, or new joint in his case, and it is really unpleasant. So how do those of you who live amongst snow cope?

I don't know about my new hip, as I'm still dealing with post-surgical pain, but I can tell you that both my left hip (prior to surgery) and my right knee - both with advanced osteoarthritis (among other things) were very sensitive to both cold and humidity. I dealt with it by moving from NY out to sunny southern California.

The cold tends to affect me more in my muscles..I feel a little tighter. Hot weather makes me feel all loosy goosey...but also tends to irritate my feet because the heat makes them swell and aggravate the arthritis in my toes. This cold blast hasn't been killing me like it used to pre-op. I just notice the tightness but its a different kind of ache.

I have had two titanium hip replacements in the last year. (Right in April and Left in November.) I live in Southern California where "cold" is 45 degrees! After a New Years Eve party, I was standing in the "cold" parking lot and began to shiver. The muscles in in both of my thighs seized up and it felt like my implants were getting cold. It was really weird. I put a heating pad on them when I got home and it went away. Could it have been the shivering that caused the spasms?? I think temperature affects our whole system.

I sure hope the cold doesnt effect the joint.. boy if i had thought of that i would have had a heating cable installed on it to keep it warm.. right now its -23 REAL TEMPERATURE.. not that windchill thing..kinda has me thinking..

No and the heat doesnt either i used to think if i sat in the sun the metal would get hot........hehe oh well.no but i dont think the weather affects the over all knee we have had cold weather here in Texas yes !! in Texas and its real stiff........good luck to you...........)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JennyG42
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom