THR Does chemo affect an artificial hip?

Arlene56

senior
Country
United States United States
Hello.
I had THR two years ago. Seven months after hip replacement, I was diagnosed with Ovarian cancer. I had to have major surgery followed by 8 cycles of chemo.
My hip is starting to bother me. I noticed that a few inches above my incision is rather tender to touch. There is no redness and it is not swollen. Sometimes when I lay on the side of the replaced hip, it kinda hurts like a muscle ache. I can walk and exercise just fine, thank God.
I know I should get it checked out. I’m just so tired of going to Dr appointments.
Thanks for listening.

Hi @Arlene56
I'm sorry you're dealing with a health crisis and hope you're doing well. I'm not able to answer your question
but possibly someone will come along who can speak to that. I am tagging our Nurse Director, @Josephine assuming she can offer you advice. She's in the U.K. as you're probably aware, so please check back.
Prayers for your comfort and complete healing. I hope your week is peaceful!

Hi, Arlene. Nice to hear from you but so sorry you've had this problem. To answer your title question, chemo doesn't affect joint replacements so far as I know.

However, about your sore spot, I have an idea about it but perhaps you would show me the site of it using this chart?

aa hip-references-horz.jpg

Hi @Arlene56
I hope you're able to find relief soon.
You've had your share.....not fair.
Wishing you pain relief and a peaceful relaxing week!

Hi @Arlene56, I don't know what is causing the tenderness, but I know that chemo does not affect an artificial hip. I work on a kids cancer unit and we give chemo as part of treatment for kids with bone tumours before and after surgery and insertion of prosthetics.
Chemo obviously has all the unwanted side effects your team will have warned you about; hair thinning or loss, nausea and vomiting, effects on your blood counts etc. but as your hip and scar would have been well healed, so should be ok.
Keep monitoring your temperature as your oncology unit policy and if you spike make sure your unit know about your prosthetic so you get prompt antibiotics.
Chemotherapy is tiring, and your ache may be part of the horrible treatment you are having.
Keep up the good work!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • eaglemom
    Staff member since May 24, 2021
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties