• REGISTER for Joint Replacement Awareness Day on May 9th, 2020!

Surgeons, patients, and other medical professionals will talk about topics you've told are important to you. You can ask questions LIVE of the participants. Please "like" and "share" our JRAD notice on your Facebook page too!

Register and learn more in this announcement:

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

THR Does back problems complicate THR?

mesdale

Country
United States United States
My brother has a bad back, probably due to his bad hip and herniated disk. He is scheduled to have Left THR soon and I am concerned the back problem will complicate it. Has anyone any information on this? Thank you

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@mesdale Welcome to BoneSmart! I have spinal issues and the only impact was a flare of my sciatic pain just post LTHR. This was quickly eased using ice. I then worked with a physio whose specialty was spine. He did deep massage.

A herniated disk will not cause any complications. Many of our members report their back problems ease after THR. Your brother is walking all wrong to try and stay off that bad hip. Once everything balances after his surgery he may indeed see improvement.

Going4fun

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Did your brother ask his surgeon about this? Totally legitimate question.

I would encourage him to put in a call to his surgeon's office and let the surgeon explain their thinking to your brother. The most recent physical therapist I had told me 80 percent of her patients came in with back issues. Your brother is hardly unique in having back issues and needing a hip replacement.

Talking to the surgeon or the surgeon's PA or nurse can be really helpful psychologically and emotionally--to reassure your brother about this. Something about talking to the caregiver can really calm the nerves.

Eman85

post-grad
Country
My back has given me problems for decades. I can't say the THR's had any effect on my back or my back had any effect on my hips. The good thing was that during recovery which of course was a lot of sitting, lying down and just walking my back appreciated the rest. My back felt great during the hardest part of recovery. Of course once I went back to life and all of the things that aggravate it my back hurts.

GrannyC

post-grad
Country
I have a slipped disc in my lower back although thankfully it is not usually much of a problem. I did find that after my hip surgery, it seemed to be a slight bit better, maybe because I was no longer limping - I’m not sure. As @Eman85 suggested above, your brother should talk to his surgeon about his back problem to see what they have to day. Plus they should be aware of it ahead of time. I’m sure he will make out just fine and it certainly is a possibility that the hip surgery will be beneficial to his back.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Lovetocrochet
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom