Does anyone think some slow dancing is possible just 1 year after BTKR's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NuNeez519

I am a 36/M/NYC about to undergo a RTKR. I am hoping all goes well and will be in for my left knee by June. I have decided to go ahead with surgery because I can no longer live the life that I should be living. I was hit by a car as a Pre-teen and 7 reconstructions later this is what all 3 OS's have recommended ( I did my research).

I am getting married in May 09' and am hoping for a recovery that will be quick enough (without overdoing it) so that I can dance with my new Bride. I have spent many sleepless nites wondering if I should wait until after our wedding but I do not want to wobble down the aisle and be all knocked out on meds.

Truth is I am scared to death but I am hoping that all the positive posts I have read nothing will stop me now.

Looking for some insight,

NuNeez[/FONT]

Based on my TKR of my left knee, at 9 weeks post op (PO), I think you'd have no trouble at all slow dancing. I think I could do it now but it wouldn't be as pretty as it could be. Don't know about dipping, but the rest is possible I think. I hope so, anyway, because I love to dance with my husband.

Good luck! At your age, you should recuperate faster than most of us on the forum. We'll be here for you when you come out of recovery. It is a long journey, but hopefully will be worth the effort.

And congratulations on your impending marriage. That, too, is a long journey, but way less painful and way more fun than TKR :)

God bless,
Skeet

Congratulations.
I am only 4 weeks post TKR. If my wife made me. (which she probably could) I could slow dance right now.
Your young age should help tremendously. If at all possible make the time prior to your surgery the hardest workouts you can possibly do. It will help.

Good Luck NuNeez! I'm 51 and almost 6 weeks post op TKR....both of my children are engaged....one hasn't set a date but my youngest has...Dec 3rd, 08 on a cruise to Cozumel....I've got to get my giddy-up going, too!

No disrespect but - 1 year? Most of the folk on here have been anxious about "can I (insert activity)" after 1 month!! At least your expectations are somewhat more realistic!!

Seriously, if you can't do a slow dance after 12/12, I'll eat my matron's cap!!

Oh Josephine - don't eat the cap - you might need surgery to get it out and have to start a whole new forum!

I am approaching the four month mark since my bilateral TKR - I know I could slow dance right now given the opportunity! I'm betting you'll not only be able to dance by the wedding, but that you'll be able to dance better than you have in many years.

Congratulations on your coming marriage - that's wonderful. Best of luck to you.

Susan

NuNeeze519
Have you considered having both knees replaced at once? I am 57 and had mine both done November 26th.
There are so many advantages to having bilateral knee replacement.
If your surgeon doesn't do it, there are many qualified surgeons who will.
And yes, I can slow dance right now. I just tested myself with my hubby!

NuNeeze,
Sounds to me like you have no worries, I had left knee done 6 weeks ago, right one will be done in less than 4 weeks. My surgeon refused to do both for many reasons, I can slow dance now, just did with my husband around the living room, but I can do it no problem. I will keep you posted as my goal is to go out dancing for my birthday on June 11th after both of my knees are complete.
Good luck and congratulations. Oh and definitely don't wait. You will feel much better next year than you do today.

I agree with Blondie - if bilateral TKR is appropriate for you. I am finding it very encouraging that as I progress, I am not going to have to start all over again after a second surgery. My doctor at first suggested it was much harder than having one done at a time - but I know it was the right decision for me. It may not be the right thing for you - but has it been considered?

Susan

I have spoken to 3 OS about my knees in last few months and 2 out of 3 recomended BTKR, the OS I had chosen was the other 1. I felt more comfortable with this OS even though one of the other OS had done prior surgery to my knees. I felt that he was more of a OS that wanted to "fix" me the best that he can, wile I felt the two other OS made me feel more like just another TKR patient. I have had 3 reconstructions(ACL, PCL, cartlidge) in my right knee and 2 scopes to fix ACL on my left.The right knee has alot of scar tissue and the OS I chose thought that spending time on the right knee would be more beneficial for me as he wanted to achieve the best possible results. He did say that it was not going to be a "typical" TKR in my right knee and decided to bring in an Assistant OS, I have done my research and the Assistant would have been my next choice in OS if I did not choose the one that I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties