BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] Doc's Knee replacement log

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by therefor, Aug 15, 2019 at 11:17 PM.

1. therefor

therefor new member

United States United States
    Left Knee: done 7/15/19
    Right knee: done 8/7/19

Age 59, arthritic and bone on bone in both knees
    6'2", 205lbs

Left knee was a walk in the park. Very quick recovery. Walked out of the hospital on day of surgery. Did not need assistance the next day....no walker, cane, etc. Not much need for pain meds. I took a couple oxcycotins is all. As of today, I'm 4 weeks out and not even thinking about it. Great mobility and no swelling. At the two week point, I meet with surgeon and she agreed to do the other knee as soon as I was ready. I was ready.
    Note about Surgeon: Dr Christina Khoury, MD, miracle worker. Every in-home therapist I've talked to, said her patients recover very quickly with minimal scaring. So glad I ran into this surgeon. Such a mess shoot, especially when you're new to an area. I moved to Phoenix from Detroit back in January. Everyone is shocked by my recovery thus far. It is by far, not normal and is the exception not the rule.

Right knee was another story. I was three weeks into the first knee recovery and had the right knee done. I walked on it same day, with a walker, and left the hospital the same day. The next few days was filled with pain, swelling, and stiffness. Much different than the Left knee.
    Note: One thing, I realized I didn't even think about the left knee after the right was done. It became my good leg...thankfully. I get a spike of pain every now and then but thats it.

Took pain meds religiously for for first 5 days. As of today, I'm on Tylenol and aspirin and it seems to manage the pain well with ice and elevation. I have to keep an eye on my BP. It gets low in the morning and causes dizziness. Eating typically brings it up again.
    I went out today (8/15) to a birthday party. I'm at the one week point with the right knee. Its doing better. Not much pain. Its can be very stiff but I'm able to stretch and get good flexibility with it. I traded my walker for a cane. It a lot more work with the cane but less hassle. I'm still not comfortable with putting full weight on the knee for very long. Jury is still out on weather I will return to the walker.

I'm very fatigued. My stamina is no where to be found. I just want to nap 24/7. I play guitar, and just strumming a few chords make my arms feel like lead. I'm expecting this to be my struggle for the next few months. Stamina. I read this is normal.

Other notes: I've lost about 10lbs as my appetite is waning. but thats a good thing. I needed to lose about 20.
    I have no desire for sex. Just the thought of rolling around of the bed doesn't appeal to me. My libido is at a all time low. Hopefully that will change.

I will post my progress daily going forward for others to glean info.

2. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @therefor Welcome to BoneSmart and the other side of surgery. Congratulations on getting both knees replaced. You will notice I changed your thread title slightly. I am afraid you can only claim "bilateral" if you had both replaced at the same time.

Your post is more proof that every joint replacement is different - even on the same person. Sounds like you were very lucky with #1. Number 2 is going to be a bit of a challenge. Take it slow and steady and listen to that knee. Energy drain is a big roadblock for many. Just roll with it and rest when you can. This too shall pass!

Here is your reading list. The articles are short but they may answer questions you have about this journey.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
    don't overwork

3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this Activity progression for TKRs

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
    Myth busting: no pain, no gain
    Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

3. Chemist

Chemist senior

Hello @therefor :

Welcome to recovery. My knees where very different, just the opposite of yours. First was challengung, second easier. Stamina will take a while to recover. So much energy is going into healing, especially with so little time between procedures. Be patient, listen to your knees (don't do too much), sleep when you can, ice and elevate!

Best of Luck
    Chemist

4. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

You're doing great! But this was major surgery and so a strain on your body. Like Chemist says, it will take a while for your energy to come back.