Do you question your medical provider if they have washed their hands?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knitter4444

BoneSmart Staff
Country
United States United States
Wasn't sure where to post this but figured pre-op made more sense.
Wonder how many of us would have the "nerve" to question whether anyone caring for you has washed their hands. Even though they are gloved, hands must be washed.
I would have no problem with asking (or in some cases telling or getting them out of my hospital room coz I am not shy like Sonja but wonder how many of us would do this. The reason I am posting this is because it is soooooo important.

I certainly watched that the nursing staff were following the hospitals protocols for infection control.. Especially when I woke up 5 days after ICU..

My OS asked for my dressing to be changed and a nurse came charging in, ripped back the bed clothes and ripped off my dressing, slapped a new one on with no gloves on.. It all happened so fast!

I was definitely not shy after that, not that I am normally either. I reported her, and requested that she was not rostered to my room in future.. I certainly came out of my unconscious stint in ICU fighting!

We have every right to ask what are the infection control protocols and how will they be adhered to.. It is our right and would be a serious breach as far as I am concerned :)

:goodpost: and I :iagree:. Keeping things clean is so important. One time the nurse didn't wash her hands and I made up something that I wanted, I think I wanted some ice. like right now and she got it and when she gave the ice she washed her hands before and after. I also found being ICU for Cancer the infection control was better than the other rooms. But that is excuse for not being it to their attention. Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker