THR Do I really want to do #2?

beachy34

Country
United States United States
I had my left hip surgery in January and it all went very well. I was in so much pain, that the relief was almost instantaneous. Except for one day where I twisted funny and was in a lot of pain, the recovery pain was much less than what I had been living with.

So now, the other hip is on the same path. The pain in that one started probably about 18 months after the pain started in the first one. It bothers me a lot at night and for certain things I do. For instance, sitting on my dining room chair and then trying to get up is very painful for some reason. But standing, walking, not much pain as a general rule. Since the weather has turned there have been a few days where I found myself starting to limp again, but nowhere near where I was with the other one.

I saw the doctor last Friday and he said we could do it if I wanted. His office called today and they can fit me in on the 26th of this month. They also had December 17th, but if I'm going to do it, I'd rather do this month for various reasons. Now that they can actually fit me in, I'm not sure if I'm really ready. Like I said, the first recovery was really good. I'm just worried that since I'm not really in that much pain compared to last time, the recovery will not be as easy (and the doctor warned me this could be the case.) The biggest reason why I think I should do it now is that I have met my out of pocket max with my insurance with the first surgery, so I shouldn't have to pay anything, or at least not much, for this one. Is that a good enough reason to do it now? If I wait, I think I would probably need to do it by next summer, so should I go for it now? I guess I'm just getting a little nervous and I'm doing so much better than I was last year at this time I just don't want to rock the boat.

I think you should go ahead and get your second hip replaced as soon as possible, before it starts hurting you more. Since your surgeon thinks it's ready, get it done.

Rather than having a harder recovery, you may well find that your recovery is slightly easier, because your muscles and tendons will still be in good condition.

I had this experience with my second nee replacement. MY surgeon said it was time, but I wasn't having a lot of pain. I thought I might be having surgery too soon. However, after surgery, my surgeon told me that when it came to surgery, he found that my knee was good and ready for replacement. And I did have a slightly easier recovery, too.

Well... do you really want to wait until the pain is so severe that you can’t do anything? I waited on my first & had a much longer recovery... my whole body had changed to accommodate the pain which meant changing gait & very sore muscles...slow & long recovery.
My 2nd THR in March was so much easier... I didn’t wait until the pain overtook me & my recovery was super!!!
When I saw my surgeon after 6 weeks he said my knee was shot... booked me in for October & Im 3 weeks post op & doing ok.... couldn’t think of another year in recovery.

It seems like everything is set up for you... get it over this year & next year you can get on with your life! xx

@beachy34 Welcome! Good question. I know, for me, I want to get my other hip done as soon as it is a surgical candidate, because what I have been through with my worse hip is not something I wish to repeat. I was disappointed when my OS told me my left was not ready yet. I was hoping to do both this year.
It sounds like you have a good surgeon, from the success of your first THR. Good luck whatever you decide.

When I was in this position I jumped at the chance to do #2. And it paid off. I waited over 3 years to have my first THR and the recovery was very long and complicated. When my right hip started complaining I ran to the surgeon and got scheduled as soon as possible. That recovery was so much easier. Literally weeks instead of over one year.

I say get this done now and enjoy life next summer!

Your hip, your choice. I had my left done in Feb 18 and at 3 mos the OS asked if I wanted the rt, done. I wasn't ready at that time so I waited. At the end of summer my rt started really acting up so I saw the OS and scheduled for Nov., didn't want to waste any summer.
It is funny how mine will lock and hurt when sitting in certain chairs. It doesn't hurt as much with weight on it as it does when you take the weight off of it.

Thanks for the positive replies. I guess my hesitation is mostly because walking and standing are mostly fine, nowhere near where the left one was. I know I waited too long to get that one done. I also think since it is such a short time between the scheduling and the surgery I'm a little nervous.

Sounds like everyone here had a good experience second time around, some even better than the first, so it makes me feel better. I made the appointment with my regular doctor for the pre-op appointment today, so I guess I'm moving forward. My boss is not going to be happy for me to be out again, but it is what it is. Last time I was working from home by day 3 after the surgery, so he really shouldn't complain. He just likes me to be able to go in the office. I had already requested time off for Thanksgiving and Christmas, so it's just going to be more than what I requested, lol.

I just read your thread and find myself in exactly the same position. R THR last March and about 3 months into recovery , my left hip pain started and has increased every month. At first it was blamed on not walking correctly and the stress of the before/after the right THR which was horrible. The OS said it wasn't ready over the summer. Tried 2 steroid shots and there was temporary relief but I can't have another one due to an allergic reaction. I also can't take NSAIDs so I think my OS agreed to the surgery for my left hip because I now have no options (meds/shots) . I also have a labral tear. My pain is intermittent. Some days I actually feel normal but when it hurts, it reminds me of the bone-on bone pain from last year which was horrible.

***My main point is that the pain in the left hip, like you, is nowhere near the pain in the original hip (10+ and homebound) and I am second guessing whether I should be doing this surgery now. I am cleared to have it next week (Nov 13th) and I am in a panic. My GP said why should I wait, it's only going to get worse and I should be getting my life back but I am NERVOUS I guess knowing what is about to happen. My recovery last time was pretty good but I guess I have not accepted the fact that I am having another surgery so soon and struggling with this decision. If it was a 10+ now, I wouldn't hesitate but it isn't. I do feel that this hip is preventing me from living my life and making any sort of plans for the future and that makes me feel old and disabled.

So I couldn't sleep a couple nights ago worrying if I should do the surgery or not. I kind of ended my worry session wishing I would just get some sort of sign. Well, the following 2 days I started having more hip pain during the day and I found myself starting to limp some, so I decided that's it, I'm doing it, so it's official. November 26th will be the day!

Congratulations on your decision and hope you will sleep better, now that your mind is made up.

It always feels better to have made a decision and plan for it. These days there is no reason to wait and live in pain with limitations and losing muscle tone as well as throwing the rest of the body out of whack with limping. I hope you can rest easy and plan for the next steps.

I kind of ended my worry session wishing I would just get some sort of sign.

:goodpost: Here's your sign. :heehee:

But seriously, I know thinking of another recovery has got to be unnerving, but you deserve to be pain free and in to the new year well on your way back to healthy and happy.
We will be rooting for you @beachy34 :friends:

So I'm still kind of having a hard time believing this is real--it's all happening so fast. All the calls I'm getting to register and confirm everything. Then today I went to the joint class at the hospital. The guy leading the session recognized me and then the physical therapist came and she recognized me too. :) It was a much smaller group than when I went last time. One of the other ladies is getting a hip replacement with my same doctor and I was able to answer a lot of questions for her.

I told my boss and co-workers this week and my boss was surprisingly fine with it. Everything seems to be falling in place. The only downside, I caught a nasty cold from my daughter last weekend so I was unable to do a bunch of things I wanted to get done. I'm hoping to get all decorated for Christmas since I won't be able to do any after the surgery. I'm feeling better now, so will see what I can get done this weekend.

My 2nd THR was so much better than the first one.... I think it was because I didn’t leave it too long.. I’m sure you will be glad to have made your decision ... by Jan 2020 you will be a new woman without worrying about that 2nd hip....!!!!

My 2nd THR anterior was Wed, home yesterday and feeling great to be home. Good that you have things organized before Christmas . It will keep you busy but don't overdo it. I did 2 household things each day pre-op so I would have something to cross off my list and feel like I accomplished something.

The day before and the morning of, I was very nervous and still having difficulty accepting hip #2 decision. I thought all of this was over with in March with hip #1. I was very angry about it for awhile but the closer the surgery date came, that feeling lessened. Hope this happens to you.

The night of the surgery when I was fully awake, I can't tell you how relieved I was that it was over and felt so secure in the hospital. I was so deleriously happy that night I sent a selfie with a big smile on my face to everyone I knew. I did look cute and I am sure they all understood.

Just keep focusing on the days after and how relieved you will be not to be worrying about your hip 24/7.

@beachy34 ,

I'm on day 5 and have been sleeping better on my back than last time. Still need my husband to lift my leg up/down from the bed/sofa when elevating on to a pillow. Foot swelling is gone but knee and surgical area still swollen and sore as hell. Icing a lot... 2 different types of pain, mostly muscle pain all around the leg and some near the incision, but that horrible stabbing hip pain is gone. YAY!

Oxy in the AM and PM. Tried it in the middle of the day and I didn't like how I felt, a little nauseus, so I will go back to tylenol in the middle of the day like I did last time.

I tell myself every AM that we are so lucky they can do this procedure. People had to live with this pain back in the day! It really is a miracle and I hope I do well in the next few weeks. I am impatient and try to remind myself to take it slow for the first 2 weeks. My husband is wonderful and he hopes he doesn't have to go thru this type of surgery after watching suffer.

Keep yourself distracted. I write here because I need some reinforcement and encouragement like you. I ended up having to organize 2 areas of my house with my supplies; next to my bed and in the LR so I wouldn't have to get u/down. I try to spend some time in the bedroom and then in the LR during the day. I walk up/down the hallway a few times every hour.

That's all for now...

Ok, I actually posted you well wishes on your recovery thread for the first hip.:gaah:
But my heart's in the right place and wanted to be sure you know I am thinking of you as you prep for Righty.
I hope you have an easy night and can get some sleep.

Best wishes for tomorrow!
We'll be thinking of you and looking forward to supporting you during your recovery. See you on the bright side soon! :SUNsmile:
@beachy34

@CricketHip and @Layla , thank you so much for the well wishes. I've been so busy the last few days trying to get the house ready, including doing Christmas decorations, I'm exhausted. I can't believe tomorrow is the surgery. I have to be at the hospital at 5:45 am, so I'm finishing packing and such and then off to bed. Here we go!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts