THR Do I really need a THR?

Sashimu

Country
Canada Canada
My right THR is scheduled for Oct 30...and for the past half hour, I've been reading posts from people who thought they might be getting surgery too soon, and it sounds like they are all worse off than me!

I can still walk for 30 or 40 minutes, ride my stationary bike, do my water walking and pool exercises, stand for 20 minutes and only really have sharp groin pain when I do too much, especially anything that involves bending over or crouching. Sleeping ok too. Mostly I feel REALLY tired a lot, but that could be anything.

But my x-ray is bad enough that my surgeon said I could have a THR whenever I want...which of course puts the onus totally on me and now I'm second guessing myself big time. Arggh!

I had exactly the same thoughts. I could have written that post. It is so easy to minimize our pain, believing that it's not THAT bad or that someone else has it much worse. Yes, you could probably put it off, but why? I personally believe that starting out younger and, hopefully, healthier works to our benefit when it comes to recovery. My doctor said it was ultimately up to me. I decided I’d rather get it done and have some good, pain-free years now when I can still be active and enjoy them.

@Sashimu
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us!

Take the score chart in the pre op reading, you will have a clearer picture of just how limited your life has become slowly over time.

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

Thank you for your replies! Woodstockhip, that's just what I needed to hear...maybe I could hold out longer, but I have other health issues and my ability to go through recovery relatively easily is likely to deteriorate even faster than my hip.

Making a list of everything I need to get/do beforehand...I always feel less anxious when I'm organized. The illusion of control, eh? :)

Woodstockhip kind of summed it up. I waited a long time until circumstances were right but the real deciding factor was I was in as good a physical condition to recover as I would ever be. My GP said don't wait until you get older or in poor health as the recovery would be tougher.

Welcome to the forum @Sashimu
I was told both my hips were bone on bone - endstage OA at age 53.:flabber:
I think the word I used was Mortified.
I was still working a full time very physical job and staying active, but I was not pain, free though I feel I have a fairly high tolerance.
It took a while to get my diagnosis as most of my discomfort manifested in my lower back, so I was definitely ready to get this done.
I'm glad you aren't miserable and sleep deprived, like me...hopefully this will give you a "leg up" with recovery. (Pun intended:) :-) (:)
You will have to practice up your patience muscle as it sounds like you have a targeted exercise routine, and rest and easy does it will be imperative at first.
Lots of great advice from all the folks here...we are rooting for you.

In my experience getting your hip replaced before you have major pain and mobility issues means an easier recovery. Sounds like your world has already started to narrow a bit - pain does wear you out.

Get that THR done and get on with living again.

Great decision to proceed while you are still in fairly good shape. Waiting and then having constant pain and inability to sleep is not healthy and makes preparing for recovery and surgery very difficult. Hips can go from some discomfort to impossible rather quickly.

@Sashimu agreeing with all those who've said go ahead! I am also 68, and would wish that I'd had my knees done in the past 7 years if they'd needed it. Not getting any younger here in my house!

I played a full 18 holes of golf 36 hours prior to my THR! 6 weeks out, and so far very happy I had the surgery. Did a 5k walk on Saturday with no aids, riding the stationary bike only difference from before is no pain.

Had the same thoughts as you pre-surgery, but timing couldn’t of been better as I wasn’t travelling and Covid restrictions has me home anyways.

Just returned from an appointment with the anesthesiologist...sounds like I'll be getting a spinal + sedation. I was very happy to hear that, after all the negative things I've heard about general anesthesia! Been busy getting things organized here, as per all the good advice from this site and my surgeon's office.

"In my experience getting your hip replaced before you have major pain and mobility issues means an easier recovery. Sounds like your world has already started to narrow a bit - pain does wear you out."

I Agree totally to have it done before you are run down with it, as I did. My recovery has not been as good as those who did it before it got so bad!

I just turned 50 and I’m a huge runner. I pushed through for a long time because I didn’t want to get a hip replacement and kept thinking it was a flare up I could manage. Then it suddenly deteriorated practically overnight and my pain was so severe the past three months I could hardly walk. I saw my doctor on 10/2 and it was sheer luck that he had a cancellation allowing me to get it done yesterday. And the pain I had before was worse than what I have now and it’s only been 24 hours since surgery. Don’t wait until it’s worse. I don’t know what I would’ve done if I had to go more months in that kind of pain and it can happen fast! You are super smart to do it now.

Best Wishes for tomorrow!
I will look forward to following your journey on the healing side.

Since it’s the day before your surgery, please feel free to start your recovery thread in the Hip Surgery Recovery Area. You will receive well wishes over there as well as the Recovery Guidelines with lots of useful info for your healing journey.

Wishing you comfort and a peaceful day!
@Sashimu

Wishing you a successful surgery and a smooth pain controlled recovery. I hope we see you on the shiny (recovery) side when you are up to posting.:flwrysmile:

See you on the Healing Side..
Bye bye Hip Pain:yes!:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie