Do I dare????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurie

senior
Country
United States United States
Hi JOsephine and anyone else brave enough to respond,

Seems I saw a thread on sex after THR. Any chance you can bring it back? Or perhaps discuss if you are comfortable? The fear factor (of breaking something or at the very least having great pain) is what I am most concerned about. I have no restrictions from Dr. now.
Thanks.

Laurie

Absolutely! Discuss away! It wasn't a thread on it's own, it was part of another discussion and I can't recall which one. Would probably be better to start from fresh, anyway.

What kind of issues do you want to discuss?

Josephine, Ok, I will be direct then. As a long-time orthopedic nurse, did you ever know of anyone who dislocated their hip or was otherwise injured as a result of being intimate?

My Dr has been reassuring, the little bit I brought it up. doesn't seem like there are any restrictions at all..

Maybe a couple glasses of wine will do it. (As my hubby of 33 years says, we aren't dead yet!!!)
Laurie

Not as far as I am aware! Most of the patients I saw had dislocated their hips were in the fairly early post op stages so unlikely they would have been as a result of having sex.

It basically comes down to the 'at risk' period in the first 6 weeks after surgery
and which
surgical approach you had. After an anterior approach the problem manoeuvres are flexing/externally rotating the hip. After a posterior approach it's internal rotation/flexion. So you can see that the opposite positions are safe for each approach.

But in any case, once the restricted period is over and the muscles and ligaments have had a chance to get back their tone, there really shouldn't be any need to worry about dislocation. More concern should perhaps be applied to not being too energetic at the beginning in case it causes you pain which could be somewhat off putting in a moment of passion! Take things gently to begin with and you shouldn't have any need to worry.

Thanks Josephine. Think part of the hesitation is the way I was feeling before the surgery. Frankly, when you have a a "rusty hip" for so long, reassurance is helpful.

Laurie

Well, of course! Being fearful of a stab of pain at the crucial moment is a sure passion killer! I'm sure your husband will understand though and goes without saying that you should discuss this with him.

Thanks Laurie for bringing the subject up.
I just wrote Josephine a private message before reading this post.
It's an important subject and I hope members reply with their experiences.
Josephine answered my questions in her reply to you.

Annette

Laurie,
I had to laugh when I saw this I think you asked what everyone wants to but doesn't. I mean all kinds of thoughts come into mind because we are using our hips.
I am not married or involved but I have given it a lot of thought also. I guess it would have to be very gentle to get your reassurance back that your hip isn't going to just pop out.
They do such a good job of making us be cautious it is hard not to be later. Have a few martininis that should help the anxiety. Wish I could help more. sandy

Sandy, Thanks for your response. Nice to know that I am not the only one out there who thinks about the subject as a normal part of the recovery process. The whole hip replacement experience is quite an adventure and something I never knew I would want to know so much about.

Enjoy your evening--even if you are watching the debate!!!

Laurie

Laurie,
I had this discussion with my doc a while back. I was going to ask him something else and he brought it up. Then he told me about men . He said not one male has ever asked him about sex. I told him they just do it and don't care about possible consequences. Then he told me how shy little older ladies are and how it takes them a while to finally ask the question!! Then they are extremely embarrased .
He is extremely easy to talk to so no problem for me. Of course I was asking a more important question about hiking!!!!

Judy

Josephine, Thanks a bunch!!!! laurie

No worries, Laurie. Being a true, old style nurse, there's no topic I would baulk at!

But what happened to my umbrella drinks????!!!!! lol
Laurie

Judy, Thanks for your reply as well. Your doctor's experience sounds about right. I did bring up with Dr...he was great as well, basically said that as long as we aren't swinging from the chandeliers (sp?) I will be fine. That there are many other activities that will be harder on new hip.

Take care and enjoy your hiking. I was on my feet last night for 1 1/2 hours for a ceremony, walked to and from, no pain. My colleagues were amazed at my fast walk. Felt real good to be out and about not worrying about compensating for stiffness, pain. Such freedom.

Laurie

You are safe I have other problems but sex is not one of them and our (my wifes and my)sexlife has been just as active and vigorous as pre op/pre hip failure

Shwa, Good morning, Thanks for your response. And for being one of the brave ones....

Hope you get to the bottom of your knee pain very soon.

Laurie

Hi, My Doctor gave me a pamphlet and it's great. it's called "sex after total joint replacement: guide for you and your partner after hip or knee replacement", author Connie F Whittington, MSN, RN, ONC, Atlanta GA

It's great!

All I've got to say...If there's a will, there's a way!!

I think I remember you saying exactly that during the "Winter Knee" sex discussion. We covered it all, didn't we? Back in the day when we were--- what did Jo call us--- like unruly kindergardeners? We could blame the drugs--- but I think it was more likely personality quirks---- and I wouldn't change a thing, my friends!

I believe I did say the same thing to Pattipoos thread. I can't think of a topic we didn't cover. What was funny was you could sign on at anytime, and someone was there.
O.K., O.K., I've got a quirk...and as Gat would say,....just sayin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back