TKR DLR recovery #2

6277CA8B-DCED-40E6-964B-294159C0DC4F.jpeg

A prang is what you do to your car when you drive it into a wall!

pranged car.JPG

@Josephine lol okay...my poor it band. I better learn to drive my knee better!

In searching online I have found some relation of IT band irritation when someone (like me) has knock knees then they are straightened with the TKR. Would this make sense? As I become more active the IT band which is stretched more since the TKR is kicking up a stink?

1. Wondering about changing my title to DLR’s recovery and IT band issues

Since Thursday I have been having serious IT band pain at the lateral knee and just above on the thigh. It seems connected with a diagonal band of swelling from above the knee to the lateral side. The intense burning pain is against the swelling above and below. I have no pain when sitting or reclining, no restriction in flexion or extension. The pain is on weight bearing or turning over in bed. Pain is exhausting as many here know, it is hard to be upbeat and pleasant, however this is Canadian Thanksgiving...so I will focus on being thankful...for my husband who takes such good care of me, for my 2 precious daughters my cheering squad, for my church family who hold me up in prayer and for you my Bonesmart family who put up with my whining. Happy Thanksgiving from Canada!

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!

Sorry about that :censored: IT band pain.

Reactions: DLR
I’m sorry you’re hurting so much. :console2:
Happy Thanksgiving to you, too.

Reactions: DLR
Still having a lot of burning, raw pain.. @Josephine I have been icing, elevating, stretching and ouch massaging but so far no relief since this sudden pranging my IT band last Thursday.

I cut back on all activities. Even Thanksgiving I went from one recliner via car to another recliner at my sister-in-law's then back home after dinner.

I now have 2 locations DRF1 to the top of ERF1 (where it started Thursday) and top of CRF1 between these two is a 5 inch by 2 inch swelling on a diagonal following a large varicose vein.

I am fine sitting or elevating. I can go up stairs with no pain. My flexion is great I would guess close to 125, extension is not quite 0. Walking (weight bearing) is the trigger to pain. It is in the point where you rock onto the ball of your foot that suddenly my pain is 8 or 9.

Not trying to be impatient, just a little worried and wondering if I am doing what I should be doing and when even a little relief should be felt.

Diane : I hope I can say this without you wanting to smack me but almost all this pain is weight bearing.:dubious:

If I laid down all the time I wouldn't be in pain.My leg only radiates pain if I lean my weight fully on it or stub my foot which I have done a lot lately.:gaah:

Think what has been done to our legs
and we are up on them right away.If we sprained it or broke it we wouldn't be walking on it right away.

I hope I am explaining this the way I want it to come across.:angel:

You are worrying too much.It is still early days.New pains and frustrations every day to look forward to.:groan:

I hope you had a good Thanksgiving.I hope you are not mad at me.:console2:

@Nigella2 not mad at all...I know I am probably overthinking this, it just came on so suddenly and going from no walking assists to 2 crutches feels like a tumble backwards..
I

Last edited:
Sometimes I wish there was a window into our bodies to show what is going on. Woke with increased swelling and pain in the IT band. Feeling pretty alone, feeling like people are saying suck it up, get on with life and don’t think about it. I actually have a high pain tolerance, I have been dealing with arthritis for 42 years. Trying to know when to push through and when to rest with pain is hard. Not expecting miracles just wanting to be wise, helpful or hurtful.

I’m going to tag @Josephine

When it comes to this recovery I don’t think we should ever push through the pain, especially when swelling comes with it.

And I agree about the window into our body, I’d sure like to see what’s going on inside my knee!

Most people we come face to face with don’t understand this recovery, sometimes even those who’ve had a replacement.
:console2:

ouch massaging
What' 'ouch' massaging?
Sometimes I wish there was a window into our bodies to show what is going on
Worry not - I have that window!

So these pains are here

diane.jpg

I think it's likely the red is an ITB (ilio-tibial band) issue. The blue bit also. Before you say no, do remember that the IT band is an enormous structure, going from the top of the hip (actually the pelvic rim) all the way down the leg and wraps around the front of the knee. Like this,. where the yellow box is.

ITB b.JPG

And there is a bursa there too, where the red arrow points.

knee bursae 2.JPG

@Josephine ouch massage is the acupressure massage you mention in the ITBand article. I am doing that to myself but it hurts like the dickens in the process, stops when I stop lol
I agree it is the ITBand, I guess my question is should I push through that burning pain while walking and try to keep up my outside walks of 3/4 kilometre. Obviously I am up and about in my house, bathroom kitchen but each step feels like a raw burning pain. I am using a cane but it doesn’t really help much. If I use 2 crutches and touch weightbearing the pain is reduced in half to 4. Elevating, icing and minimal in house walking has brought no improvement over the 6 days.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie