TKR DLR recovery #2

@Lucy1 I did know right away my knees were straight because I could put my ankles together when sitting with them elevated. I couldn’t do that before except with great effort. That said, it didn’t always look corrected, it depended on swelling and fatigue but as time goes on I am well aware they are straightened.
I am very thankful for my progress, I won’t win any speed walking races yet :) but things are improving.
@Lindylee I don’t know if having them done close together helped, I just had so much pain in both they had to be done....a railway lol...that’s me chugging along

Sure hope my leg is straighter after all this. Can get my ankles closer together, but still don't touch. L

@Lucy1 just think when knee sweelling goes down how your legs will feel straight. My ankles can touch now, and when walking outside I have to really think about heal/toe and straight leg almost like a march to try and get my gait back to normal rather than a waddle. :walking:

@Josephine I need your expertise. I am 15 weeks post LTKR. Recovery is going very well in that my ROM is 135/0, I can bicycle outside with no concerns , driving, sitting are all great. Walking is a different matter, I get level 7 pain dead centre in the front of the knee. There is no swelling but I have maintained a very light bruising on the front of that knee, it almost looks like my knee has dirt on it.
The other pain that happens is again dead centre of the calf 2 inches below the crease at the back of the knee.
I am doing massage, Chiro and acupuncture for hamstrings, it band and back. I take 2 arthritic Tylenol a day and use Voltaren cream at times. Otherwise just doing life as a retiree.
I would love your input as to suggestions to get to the point I could walk more than 1/2 a block without severe pain.

Attachments

• 1A425238-FFCB-46BB-B9D5-DE0305FC2E88.jpeg
    1A425238-FFCB-46BB-B9D5-DE0305FC2E88.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 191
There is no swelling but I have maintained a very light bruising on the front of that knee, it almost looks like my knee has dirt on it.
I can chip in here with some personal experience. After my bruising went away, I still had some brown staining of my knee tissues. I asked my surgeon about it and he told me that it is iron that was in my blood and it is left over from the bruising. He said it would gradually fade away, and it did.

@DLR can you show me the site of these pains using this chart, please?

aa knee-references-horz.jpg

@Celle interesting! it didn’t happen with the first knee and my hip i dropped my hemoglobin critically low. Cool, my own rusty knee :)

@Josephine Front: DLF3 DLF4 ELF3 ELF4 just where the lines intersect between those four
Back: ELB3 ELB4 where the line runs between the two

Now if you could just oil it like the Tin man to make it move smoothly!

Reactions: DLR
Hmm, do you have a copy of your latest xray I can view?

I haven’t had any xrays since surgery and I haven’t seen whether they did one during surgery

No I need one taken fairly recently.

I think you need to see your surgeon to get this reviewed. I don't much like that pattern of pain.

Thanks Josephine He is back from vacation in another week so I will see when I can get in.

I have seen my surgeon 4 times... 2 weeks, 3 weeks, 6 weeks and 12 weeks but no xrays. Currently I am not scheduled to see him until 1 year.

It’s interesting how different all the surgeon’s are.

@Josephine you said you don’t like the pattern..do you have an idea what’s going on? Am I at risk of further damage if I continue day to day living activities in spite of weight bearing pain. Not by any means wanting to put you on the spot but here in Canada I may wait a month or two for an appointment with my OS.
If you can’t say more I do understand

Last edited:
Seeing my OS here in Ontario for x-rays and follow-up at six weeks. Hope you get an appt. soon to put your mind at ease. You were doing so well. L

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back