TKR DLR recovery #2

@DLR glad your dental procedure is over. My OS said no dental procedures for 3 months after surgery and then I have to take an antibiotic before any dental work. I know that some doctors have stopped this protocol, but not mine.
Mine either, she believes better safe than sorry. After all we have been through, 1 pill is nothing

Mine either, she believes better safe than sorry. After all we have been through, 1 pill is nothing

While some surgeons are still cautious, it really isn't necessary to take antibiotics prior to dental work. The bacteria in your mouth are not the ones usually responsible for joint infections. And the prophylactic use of antibiotics is one of the reasons why we now have so many antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

Dental antibiotics: Evidence insufficient to recommend prophylactic antibiotics for dental procedures

Battling feeling depressed. While so much is going well, I can’t walk without pain at a level 7. Each step as I bend the knee has the same lateral calf pain since day 1. Physio and chiropractor think it is where the hamstring attaches below the knee. The pain has not changed since day 1 and at 6 weeks I am battling the fears what if this never changes. Sorry..just being real!

@DLR
It’s ok
This is NOT your new normal. My varus correction took 3.5 months to settle behind my knee and I still have moments with it. That knee didn’t get that way overnight. It won’t go away overnight.
Lmk if you need a shoulder and a hug
:flwrysmile:

@DLR I'm so sorry that you are still battling pain and that the depression dementors are hovering around you. I keep thinking about each of the reductions that got me to the point of surgery - like the proverbial frog in a pot of water slowly heated to boiling, you don't even realize how long your knee has been deteriorating and limiting your life to the point where surgery was the only option. One the one hand, that says that recovery will also take a long time, but recovery will come. Just think about how long it could take that frog to realize that the water is actually getting cooler. Each degree of healing is happening for you, but they are hard to recognize day-by-day and their schedule is unpredictable. Hang in there - we are here for you.

@DLR Hope you're feeling a bit better today. I can remember feeling in a similar way at 6 weeks over the pain on my lateral knee side, along with a few others, and wondering if this was the new status quo and if I should have left well alone. That week I had to fill in a questionnaire from the hospital about my recovery and had a phone call 2 weeks later asking if I'd like to go and talk to their knee professor, but by 8 weeks there was improvement and I could start to see a light at the end of the tunnel. I still get some pain in that area, which I'm convinced is the ITB band in my case, but it's intermittent and improving all the time. If only I could get rid of the back ache I'd be a happy bunny. Hang on in there, it's early days and I'm sure it will improve. I saw my OS at 8 weeks and he said to expect pain and swelling for 6 months so I'm hanging on to that, although there are days when I'm still impatient and wish the pain free days would hurry up!

@Lindylee thank you for the encouragement and reminders of the long process, I remember my OS saying the same with my first knee, it’s just hard to remember when you’re in pain
@TimeBuster thank you I appreciate the prayers and thoughts
Today is a better day...last night we had an indoor campfire due to pouring rain with 11 friends from our small group. The rain was a blessing for me as I could sit in a comfy chair with my leg up. Our friends have a beautiful room overlooking a river valley...it was so nice just to socialize with others...definitely a God given blessing!

It is a beautiful sunny morning here in Ontario. A dear friend reminded me this weekend to be gentle with myself and remember all my body has had to deal with in the past 10 months... dental surgery, knee replacement, 2 cataract surgeries, 2nd dental surgery, appendicitis, 2nd knee replacement, 3rd dental surgery...
It was a good reminder of why my energy feels low, the body is using it to heal.
Patience may be a virtue....but I don’t love it ;)

Last edited:
That’s a lot of healing going on, :wowspring:

• Agree
Reactions: DLR
Wow, Diane. Your body is fighting the good fight in the face of many surgical incursions! Find some comfort in the fact that you have a body that will not give up - it keeps moving forward with everything it can to bring you back to great health.

@Rather thank you... it was a good reminder to myself that I have had a lot of recoveries this past year and my body is working hard to keep ahead.
Today was a good day I was discharged from in home pt with ROM 125/0. Now I will just keep working on letting my hamstring and IT band attachments at the knee get happy with their new alignment so I can walk more than 400 metres at a time.

Today was a good day I was discharged from in home pt with ROM 125/0.
Wow! They are wonderful numbers for less than 2 months out. You are doing so well.

• Agree
Reactions: DLR
Tomorrow will be 7 weeks. The pain in the lateral calf has improved dramatically. This weekend we hosted a fundraiser for a children’s camp in Northern Ontario while the workload was easy as many teens did the physical work I did spend 10 hours Saturday standing, walking or sitting in a regular chair (no elevating)... what a sense of accomplishment and very little knee swelling! I was exhausted and every muscle in my body hurt lol but my knees did well. We even had overnight guests who stayed on through Sunday afternoon. This week I will rest and elevate to recover but all in all it was great! Hang in everyone there is hope

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts